SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-03-16, 08:34 AM   #1
danbt

Exclamation Newbie Helmet Fit - Is this normal?

Hi guys,

My new (first) helmet arrived today, a HJC RPHA-ST.

I went into my local J&S recently and explained to the helmet guy that I think I may have a "long oval" head judging by what I have read on the internet and the feedback I get in the mirror. I certainly do have a large head.

Anyway, he said, well, let's try one of these on... Hands me a HJC RPHA-ST, I stick it on, it slides on quite well, doesn't cut my ears off on the way down and feels snug but fine, he performs a few checks and says, "Yep seems good to me." I explained that I had read that the Arai Signet Q was the best fit for a long oval, so he grabbed me an Arai and I tried that, that was also fine.

I said I had also heard a Shoei Air GT would be okay, I tried one of those but it nearly cut my ears off, he said its "too narrow". I think you've got more of a round head... which I was surprised at given that well, I own my head, I've seen almost everyday for the past 24 years...

Anyway, I felt like I should take his expert advice, and so I bought the HJC RPHA-ST from Sportsbikeshop so that I had the possibility of returns, as I foresaw a potential issue.

Now, I sit here writing this post, wearing the helmet.

And I can't help but feel like there is a disproportionate amount of pressure around the back of my head. Now, it's not a "hot-spot" it doesn't feel like a pin-point of pressure, but feels more like I have a dull ache around the back edge of my head...

So, is this normal?
Am I just not used to wearing a helmet and need to get a grip?
Does this sound systematic of an incorrect helmet fit?
Will the padding bed in and change?

I think it's also useful to point out that whilst the guy in the shop is trying to help me find a helmet I want, he also has a vested interest in selling particular items.

This particular helmet was reduced from £300 to £200 as the line was being discontinued... hmmm... have I been conned!

Would appreciate some thoughts!

Cheers
Dan
Old 09-03-16, 11:02 AM   #2
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Default Re: Newbie Helmet Fit - Is this normal?

Dan, firstly you did the right thing by going out and trying helmets on first. The worst thing you can do it buy a helmet that doesn't fit because you like a style or brand.

I have quite a narrow face so I wear AGV, Arai, X-lite and Bell will no issues, but, if I wear a Shoei I find they are too wide at the cheek level.

If you are getting any pain when wearing the helmet it can be one of a few things, either the helmet doesn't fit and you have the wrong shape head for that design, this isn't an issue, we all have different shape heads.
Or, it could be you have the helmet on wrong, as stupid as this sounds I have found with my X-lite I can't wear it in the same position as I wear my Arai's as they internal shape of the helmet it slightly different. Try moving the up and down, i.e. pivot it on your head holding the chin bar and mvoing it up and down but keeping your head still, if you can till the pressure is removed from your area of concern.

While helmets do "bed in" if it is causing you pain so much that it is distracting it isn't going to be something you want when riding your bike.

I was always told when trying helmets on you should get try to get as "fresh" a helmet as possible and wear it for about 15 mins in the store to see if pressure builds anywhere. The helmet you tried on, if discontinued, might have been in the store a while and be already "broken in" and that is why it didn't have the same issues as you're having now.

SportsBikeShop are great with returns, I have had a lot of good dealings with them and they are my main shop for bike gear/parts.

What you could do it say to them the issues that you're having and they might be able to offer advice.

Hope this helps.

Anthony
Old 09-03-16, 11:07 AM   #3
danbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymraeg_Atodeg View Post
Dan, firstly you did the right thing by going out and trying helmets on first. The worst thing you can do it buy a helmet that doesn't fit because you like a style or brand.

I have quite a narrow face so I wear AGV, Arai, X-lite and Bell will no issues, but, if I wear a Shoei I find they are too wide at the cheek level.

If you are getting any pain when wearing the helmet it can be one of a few things, either the helmet doesn't fit and you have the wrong shape head for that design, this isn't an issue, we all have different shape heads.
Or, it could be you have the helmet on wrong, as stupid as this sounds I have found with my X-lite I can't wear it in the same position as I wear my Arai's as they internal shape of the helmet it slightly different. Try moving the up and down, i.e. pivot it on your head holding the chin bar and mvoing it up and down but keeping your head still, if you can till the pressure is removed from your area of concern.

While helmets do "bed in" if it is causing you pain so much that it is distracting it isn't going to be something you want when riding your bike.

I was always told when trying helmets on you should get try to get as "fresh" a helmet as possible and wear it for about 15 mins in the store to see if pressure builds anywhere. The helmet you tried on, if discontinued, might have been in the store a while and be already "broken in" and that is why it didn't have the same issues as you're having now.

SportsBikeShop are great with returns, I have had a lot of good dealings with them and they are my main shop for bike gear/parts.

What you could do it say to them the issues that you're having and they might be able to offer advice.

Hope this helps.

Anthony
Thanks for the input Anthony,

I've actually just ordered an AGV k5 Drift helmet as I've heard they are slightly more narrow.

But, I'm not sure if its padding that will wear in or not with this HJC, its the band around the back of the helmet that seems to just have no gap at all, and is giving the back of my head a bit of a squeeze.

But I wore it for a good 15 minutes and I had a real headache sensation.

I will give the AGV a go when it arrives and see where I stand.

Cheers
Dan
Old 09-03-16, 11:54 AM   #4
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbt View Post
Thanks for the input Anthony,

I've actually just ordered an AGV k5 Drift helmet as I've heard they are slightly more narrow.

But, I'm not sure if its padding that will wear in or not with this HJC, its the band around the back of the helmet that seems to just have no gap at all, and is giving the back of my head a bit of a squeeze.

But I wore it for a good 15 minutes and I had a real headache sensation.

I will give the AGV a go when it arrives and see where I stand.

Cheers
Dan
No worries buddy.

Best thing you can do it try all different kinds of helmet and find what it best for you.

You helmet needs to do two things above all, it needs to fit safely and it needs to be comfortable.

What I mean by that is you could get a slightly bigger helmet for it to be comfortable, but, then when you come to need it (if you ever should) it could move on your head and be of little use.

Colours and designs come secondary or even thirdly in most cases.

I have tested an Arai by face planting the floor at about 30mph, so, I know they fit me and I know it is safe.

The helmet should be able to move on your head, but, it should pull the skin with it. If it can move and not pull your skin it is too loose.

Good luck with the AGV, I have a K3SV and my friend has a Pista and a Corsa, they make nice helmets.
Old 09-03-16, 02:22 PM   #5
DomP

I've had similar dilemmas when choosing my first helmet. Like Anthony said Sportbikeshop are brilliant when it comes to returns. I too have an AGV K3 for my narrowish face and love it, internal sun visor is an absolute must I find.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 07:35 PM   #6
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Why didn't you buy one from the shop when you tried them on? There can be slight variations in fit with helmets of the same make/model/size so I always try on the helmet I actually buy first. Saving a few quid by going online after wasting a shop's time is not worth the risk in my book.
Old 09-03-16, 07:49 PM   #7
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Why didn't you buy one from the shop when you tried them on? There can be slight variations in fit with helmets of the same make/model/size so I always try on the helmet I actually buy first. Saving a few quid by going online after wasting a shop's time is not worth the risk in my book.
I wouldn't agree, no-one's time is wasted and you don't want to have to spend more than you have to.

Besides, the variances shouldn't cause the issues OP stated
Old 09-03-16, 09:45 PM   #8
danbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I didn't buy in the shop as they said I wouldn't be able to return it as they "don't do returns on helmets" and I didn't want to buy it in case I had this very issue...

Hence sportsbikeshop was a better option.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-16, 05:53 PM   #9
danbt

Good news. The AGV seems to fit perfectly apart from one thing.

Chin strap seems a little loose, is there a way to tighten it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-16, 06:38 PM   #10
KingDerelict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbt View Post
Now, I sit here writing this post, wearing the helmet.

And I can't help but feel like there is a disproportionate amount of pressure around the back of my head. Now, it's not a "hot-spot" it doesn't feel like a pin-point of pressure, but feels more like I have a dull ache around the back edge of my head...
That happened to me once, but because I was in a rush I ignored it. I must have spent nearly ten minutes frantically looking for my bike key until it dawned on me that the two things might be connected...
KingDerelict is offline   Reply With Quote