SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 23-03-12, 04:05 PM   #1
M65

Default Trackday Cameras and GPS Data Loggers

Not sure if this is the correct section for what Im asking but seems most relevant as it will all be for track days anyway.

I currently have a pretty poor camera on my bike that attaches to a DVR under the back seat. I know I can upgrade the camera or look at something like a ContourHD etc. I wanted to gauge peoples opinions on the best set up for them and if poss see any footage. The one thing I do like about my little camera is that it can go in the fake ram air vent under the headlights and hardly be seen. I really dont want a camera that looks through the windscreen.

Also, Ive played around with things like RaceChrono, Trackmaster etc on samrt phones. Ive always only used the internal GPS on the phone which has turned out to be pretty poor. I know I can use something like a Qstarz BT-818XT to get a better GPS signal to the smartphone app of my choice, but again, whats your personal preference? I want to be able to overlay the GPS data to any video I take. RaceChrone2Avi is OK for this but again, if you know of a better solution, Im all ears.

Admins, if this belongs elsewhere then please feel free to move.

Thanks in advance people.
Old 23-03-12, 04:28 PM   #2
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trackday Cameras and GPS Data Loggers

Not used it myself but this looks awesome

http://www.videovbox.co.uk/

Vid of it being used here, unfortunately it looks like it cant improve your riding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIQ0zi5cVic
Old 23-03-12, 05:25 PM   #3
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

There was a cracking app for Nokia devices a year or so ago, which you could link to your footage and gave good GPS stats.

I'd love to find one for an Android device that allows you to synch your video footage with it, as well as display lap time, speed, G-force etc.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-12, 07:49 PM   #4
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Not used it myself but this looks awesome

http://www.videovbox.co.uk/
might be just a tad out of my price range!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
There was a cracking app for Nokia devices a year or so ago, which you could link to your footage and gave good GPS stats.

I'd love to find one for an Android device that allows you to synch your video footage with it, as well as display lap time, speed, G-force etc.
I think the Nokia one you mention is RaceChrono. Ive used that too and it really does do the job. I just wish Id used an external GPS bluetooth device with it instead of the internal one on the phone. If anyone knows of something similar for Android, Im all ears. Ive used TrackMaster and MyTracks on Android so far and although they are OK, they arent as good as RaceChrono IMO.

Does anybody have any experience or recommendations for cameras though please? Not GoPro however. They are too bulky and their shape limits where you can mount them on a bike.
Old 25-03-12, 07:57 PM   #5
Runako

The Countour GPS does what you want I think. Its about £200 -£300 but is a more simple option if you want HD video at good frame rates plus GPS details. For non GPS I use a Drift HD for just video quality. I also use an android App on my HTC if I want data logging ... but I'm not really good enough for it to be of use TBH.
Old 25-03-12, 08:34 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Not track day footage, but Lone Wolf had a Contour attached to his helmet on our Welsh MTB weekend

You can watch it at 720p

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-12, 12:03 PM   #7
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
The Countour GPS does what you want I think. Its about £200 -£300 but is a more simple option if you want HD video at good frame rates plus GPS details. For non GPS I use a Drift HD for just video quality. I also use an android App on my HTC if I want data logging ... but I'm not really good enough for it to be of use TBH.
I was really quite interested in the Contour GPS but then I saw that it only had a 1Mhz refresh rate on the GPS signal. I was hoping for 5 really, ideally 10 so that on trackdays, it gives a fairly precise location setting. The video quality does look good though. What app are you using for data logging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Not track day footage, but Lone Wolf had a Contour attached to his helmet on our Welsh MTB weekend

You can watch it at 720p

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Now thats the kind of quality footage Im looking for. I think with the Contours, you can do 720p at 60fps or 1080p at 30fps cant you? Nice choices depending on riding style.
Old 26-03-12, 01:31 PM   #8
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Racechrono is trialling an Android version - I've asked for a copy.
Old 26-03-12, 02:37 PM   #9
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Racechrono is trialling an Android version - I've asked for a copy.
Thats awesome! How did you manage to get the trial copy? Id really like to get in on the action
Old 26-03-12, 03:14 PM   #10
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I said I've asked, not that I've got one

I signed up to the forum and have asked for a copy to help with the evaluation.