SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 23-06-15, 08:05 PM   #1
kiggles

Default track day newbie here

So been riding a while

- sv650 50,000 miles
- honda cbr600rr 20,000 + miles

track days:

- brands hatch indy twice novice
- rockingham once novice

so its almost time to give up road riding and stick to the track. using my cbr600rr 2006 bike just been cat C from insurance (just a few sratches) as my track bike and its great to finally use it properly.

I got another honda cbr600rr 2005 for the road handy as oth parts for bike can swap over.

okay to the point. although running road pilot 3 be nice to get a set of tyre warmers second hand is fine. but if i buy new off ebay ones to avoid? also should i get one where you can adjust the temperture?

doing this on the cheap £100+ a track day is bad enough! any other mods worth doing. next is suspension set up and diablo supercors tyres.

I am new to the sport,t so tuning the bike is pointless and so is expsensive exhaust and race parts.

got rental grips, stomp grips.

Last edited by kiggles; 23-06-15 at 08:06 PM.
Old 23-06-15, 09:04 PM   #2
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Re: track day newbie here

Get a set of Racetech warmers from Holroyd. They're no more expensive than a used set from eBay and they work. No need for adjustable temps, you just need a thermostat that'll keep them at a steady temperature, and the Racetechs have that.

Don't worry too much about the Supercorsas either. If you use a race compound you'll get through tyres at a crazy rate and if you use road compound you may not even notice much of a difference. I've been using Michelin Power Supersport on my gixer for a few years and they're great for trackday, especially at novice level - plenty of grip and I get ten days from a rear. Even raced on them for a bit, to keep the tyre bill down.

The best thing you can buy at this point is experience. No point throwing money at parts and consumables after three goes in the novice group. Even warmers are optional - all they do is let you go banzai on the first lap so you get better value from the track time, but I know people who never bother and they're way quicker than me after a lap or two.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-15, 09:23 PM   #3
kiggles

I am only getting tyre warmers as you say to make the most out of the track day. There are many red flags it great to be able to get to the grid ASAP and do fast laps with out to worry for cold tyres as i would take 4 laps to settle down.

i plan to use my road pilot 3's as a wet tyre. as i know they are great in the wet from road riding.

seen a bad post about racetech warmers over heatting etc
Old 23-06-15, 09:30 PM   #4
ogden
Mega Poster

Great in the wet on the road and great in the wet at track pace are very different things.

It's a good point actually - in this climate, a proper set of wets is probably the best investment you can make in maximising track time. You won't believe how good they are - trust me, PR3s aren't in the same country, let alone the same ball park - and some of the best fun I've ever had on track was in the soaking wet.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-15, 10:10 PM   #5
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default track day newbie here

Kiggles, when was your 1st trip to Rocky?

Edited due to bloody auto correct

Last edited by PyroUK; 24-06-15 at 09:11 AM.
PyroUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-15, 09:00 AM   #6
L3nny
Mega Poster

I've heard tyre warmers increase the life of your tyres as they reduce wear from heat cycling.

You'd probably need a generator though as a lot of tracks have very limited power outlets.

Having just done a track day on an SV I'd recommend selling the CBR, use the SV as a track bike and spend the money you get for the CBR on track days and tyres. Trying to keep up with faster bikes and being able to use all the power of the bike all the time I learnt more on 1 day on the SV than I did on the 8 or so days I did on my Fireblade and GSXR.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote