SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-12-15, 09:21 PM   #1
Lithium

Default SV650 Wont start

Hey all,

Nightmare has occurred, left the bike for about 7 days and came to start it this morning, got a bit of a churn then nothing.
Now the solenoid clicks when attempting to start but thats all. Charged the battery up - no dice.
Took my battery into a garage, they said its goosed so I bought a new battery and charged it up - same situation. Very clear single click from the switch behind my ECU and thats it.

What am I looking at next?
Old 29-12-15, 09:12 AM   #2
atassiedevil

Default Re: SV650 Wont start

Short across the two large terminals on the solenoid and see if the starter spins. If it doesn't, it's the starter. If it does then it's either the solenoid or the wiring from the starter switch to it.
Old 29-12-15, 10:03 AM   #3
Fen Tiger

Had a similar scenario on a CB750 which was traced to the starter motor. As well as shorting across the solenoid switch you can also test the starter by using a heavy guage insulated wire straight from the positive battery terminal to the starter terminal to see if it will spin. Having removed my starter I was lucky to find that the fault was caused by a build up of dust and crud in and around the brushes which was preventing them sliding in their holders. Having cleaned everything and reassembled it worked great. It is worth investigating the starter fault before stumping up for a new one.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-15, 10:29 AM   #4
Lithium

I cut off one of the terminal clamps from an old battery charger and used it to bridge the connection between the two terminals on the solenoid with the ignition on and nothing at all happened.

I assume this means that its probably the starter motor thats the issue?
Sorry I'm not too good with the inner workings.

If so is cleaning the starter motor something a rookie can do? I feel that I should probably at least try as if it is the motor then I will have to just buy a new one anyways.

cheers for the replies.

Last edited by Lithium; 29-12-15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 29-12-15, 11:07 AM   #5
Lithium

Remembered something an RAC guy said about my partners car when it wouldn't start. Gave the Starter motor a couple of persuasive taps with a small rubber mallet and its up and running. I would guess the motor is full of crud and needs a clean out but the bolt for the live cable is rusted on :/
Old 29-12-15, 12:56 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

You need to clean up that live connection first.It may be that rather than any need to take the starter apart.
Old 29-12-15, 02:04 PM   #7
Lithium

I gave it a scrub with an old toothbrush and some wd40. Don't have anything more robust atm, will pick up a wire brush tomorrow.
Old 29-12-15, 03:56 PM   #8
Fen Tiger

That tapping trick for a car starter is to get a sticking solenoid switch which to move and make a connection to power the starter motor. Not relevant to the bike as the solenoid is remote. If it worked when you tapped the motor with your rubber hammer I would guess you have moved the brushes onto the commutator. A strip down and clean would guarantee reliability and give you a chance to change the brushes if they are worn down beyond the service limit.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-15, 08:20 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

do you have an alarm fitted?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-15, 09:22 PM   #10
bikerbaker

Refurbed the starter on my Curvey this year using-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SV-...item1c57762bc2
Really easy, spins over much better.
But (this is an age related problem) only scanned starter removal in the manual, pulled the starter out and watched my (very new) oil run over the workshop floor. Oh yes, drain oil first!
bikerbaker is offline   Reply With Quote