SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-02-05, 05:17 PM   #1
djres

Default where can i get a restrictor kit?

where can i get restrictor kit for the sv650s cuz im only 18 and have to have 33bhp for 2yrs, i kno u can probably get them from the bike garage but i got told they cost loads.
what are the normal costs?
any1 can help please?
Old 24-02-05, 05:27 PM   #2
Cloggsy

Which model SV is it for

There's an 33bhp ECU on eBay at the moment for a K3 bike... I think the 'curvy' bike has a different restriction method...
Old 24-02-05, 09:42 PM   #3
Kate

Any Suzuki dealer can get a genuine restrictor kit at a subsidized price, ie £65 for a K3 onwards and about £85 for carbed, plus fitting.
Old 24-02-05, 10:00 PM   #4
adamfool

unless you have it fitted by an 'authorised' place, you wont get the certificate...which is pretty much the only way you can prove it's restricted to the police i believe.
Old 24-02-05, 11:04 PM   #5

nah, any proof will do, eg, getit dynoed, im fairly sure that will be ok, cant see y it wont be after all thats a a certificate is, proof!!
Old 25-02-05, 08:22 AM   #6
SteveR

I don't think the dyno result would be acceptable - you would need evidence of calibration etc. I thought it was 33BHP at the crank ? - and you'd be measuring at the wheel.
You really do need the 33BHP restriction to be beyond reasonable doubt - and that means getting the certificate.
Old 25-02-05, 10:20 AM   #7
GSXR Carlos

get it done properly, not cert, no insurance

not sure on cost, mine was already fitten but i seem to remember a £100 figure mentioned before

have fun and ride safe

two years will soon be up, mine comes out in April

YEAH !!!!!!! FULL POWERED RIDING HERE I COME
Old 25-02-05, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I don't think the dyno result would be acceptable - you would need evidence of calibration etc. I thought it was 33BHP at the crank ? - and you'd be measuring at the wheel.
You really do need the 33BHP restriction to be beyond reasonable doubt - and that means getting the certificate.
but surley, if the kits are developed for 33 bhp at the crank they will be more like 30 bhp at the back weel, so a dyno would show that the bike is at 30bhp, under the 33bhp limit, u cvannot calibrate a kit after the installation any way, they are both fixed types of mechanical restriction!

If your every invloved in an accident and you need to proove this, surley it would do, isnt that wahat a certificate is??? Proof?! Further to that, if ur meant to be restricted, they will usually inspect the bike n e way.

My adive is, if you have got the money have it done properly although its about 100 quid,

If you are a lil skint like me, i would put the restrictor in and get it dynoed or get sum 1 to prove there in if ever the worst should happen, after all. all the law says is your bike must be restricted to 33bhp!! and thats what u would have done!
Old 25-02-05, 01:43 PM   #9
SV650Racer

You DO need to get it fitted and certified by a garage or dealer otherwise whats the point...!!

kates right re prices through suzuki dealers - its cheaper than the ones from FI international.
Old 25-02-05, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer
You DO need to get it fitted and certified by a garage or dealer otherwise whats the point...!!

kates right re prices through suzuki dealers - its cheaper than the ones from FI international.
The point is, imho, is that if its a choice between not getting one and breaking the law, or fittign a cheap one urself, then go for the cheaper option, after all, all the law requires is ur bike being restricted to 33bhp,
does it matter how it is done?

if it comes down to competancy, then im sorry, if i was ever in court, im fairly sure i could find some monkeys with greater competance than my local suzuki mechanics!