SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-19, 09:20 AM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default AL7 thoughts

Having put 500 miles on my 18-month old AL7, here are my thoughts on it compared with my previous K6S. This may well repeat what others have said about the AL7

Engine: we all love the SV engine, and Suzuki has managed to improve it still further for the current bike. It's smoother and seems even punchier. Throttle response is still sharp and instant in any gear, at any speed. The torque peak has moved higher up the rev range but it doesn't feel that way - crack the throttle at 4,000 rpm in 6th and the bike still pulls like a frisky border collie. Even though the dash now has a gear indicator, I've still tried to change to 7th

Interestingly, checking the factory specs, all the internal gear ratios are identical to the K3 onward bikes, and the final drive is the same as K3-onward nakeds (45T rear sprocket). It's definitely more economical - about 10% better in my style of riding. The standard silencer sounds great too.

Handling: the frame geometry is different, the AL7's handling is much livelier and turns in more easily than older SVs (obviously helped by the higher / wider bars). But it feels just as planted once it's in the corner, and the forks are MILES better. Firmer but still compliant, and no clonking! The rear end is completely unobtrusive, it just does its job without twitching, bouncing etc.

Brakes: frankly, not as good as my old K6. They stop the bike just fine, but the initial bite and feel isn't there. I could squeal the front tyre with two fingers on my K6: the AL7 needs three fingers to get the same level of braking. The calipers and discs are identical, so I can only assume it's the lengthy ABS plumbing which has robbed the feel. I got used to the (lack of) feel of the new brakes in a few dozen miles, but compared with the dynamics of the rest of the bike, they're disappointing.

Ergonomics: many people criticise the seat for being too thin / too tilted forward. For my backside, it's fine - better than the factory gel seat on my K6. Yes, it IS thinly padded, but because it's wide & flat, I'm happy for 2 to 3 hours at a time with no problems. Your @rse may vary
I will probably get a screen of some kind as I'd forgotten just how obtrusive windblast can be: my old S spoiled me, but I don't miss the aching wrists and @rse ...
The new dash is busy and has lots of toys (fuel range, instant MPG, average MPG etc etc) but it's easy to get the info you need, and it's easy to read quickly even in bright sunlight. I would prefer a dial revcounter but the 'bar' readout is OK. The revised clutch actuator makes the clutch action better, and the 'low rpm assist' is completely unobtrusive. You only notice it if you try to notice it, which is as it should be.

In conclusion, I wasn't looking to replace my K6, I was very happy with it. But the AL7 has been very quick to show its charms (apart from the brakes), it really is an excellent evolution of the SV line
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 10:07 AM   #2
zsv650s

Default Re: AL7 thoughts

Sounds good what made you go for another SV?
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 10:44 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Firmer but still compliant, and no clonking!
..that starts at about 20k miles.

Quote:
many people criticise the seat for being too thin / too tilted forward. For my backside, it's fine
...sorry, but (sorry butt?) you have a weird backside...

...brakes? yes, plan ahead

Quote:
Even though the dash now has a gear indicator, I've still tried to change to 7th
but now you can ride at the devil's speed: 666 (66mph in 6th)

Screen? I like the Givi A3111

I've also fitted handlebar risers, DL650 handguards (cos my pinkies get cold).
... and you must polish the headers, it's the law.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 11:20 AM   #4
Talking Heads

Have you ridden it in the rain yet?
Simply doesn't have any sort of mudguard function whatsoever.
Also utter crap for trying to bungee a bag on rear seat.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 11:26 AM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

@zsv650s - I was really happy with my old K6S, and I like the look of the AL7s so it was a case of getting an updated version of what I already liked. I like the slimness and torque of the SV so a 4-cylinder bike wasn't on the list, and 70bhp is plenty for me. I did briefly consider a Tracer 700 but it didn't quite do it for me.

@Seeker - thanks for the tip on the Givi screen. I've already Harpic'd the headers (within a week of getting the bike ) but I prefer the unpolished look - goes with the brushed finish on the silencer heatshield, I think.

And yes, I have child-bearing hips so that's why I find the seat OK

@Talking Heads - I'm a fair-weather rider but yes, the 'mudguards' look about as useful as they were on my old SV. I've got an IXS tailpack that has a flap on the underside which mates nicely with the tail-end of the seat, and the integrated straps hook on OK.

Last edited by Craig380; 01-04-19 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 11:29 AM   #6
zsv650s

I got bored of the 650 it's a good bike though just ask cause a lot of people move on to the triples for a bit of best of both.
Old 01-04-19, 11:49 AM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Simply doesn't have any sort of mudguard function whatsoever.
...agreed. I fitted a fender extender and experimented with many different styles/lengths of mudflap attached to the extender. I also fitted the biggest hugger I could find.

To be fair, most modern bikes seem to be similar and, if anything, getting worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s
I got bored of the 650 it's a good bike though just ask cause a lot of people move on to the triples for a bit of best of both.
I went from a curvy to a Street Triple and back to an AL7. I found the Triumph too frantic, too thirsty and I had many switchgear problems (I have a damp garage - although the curvy didn't seem to mind). I kept the T shirt though.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 11:49 AM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
That's the fun of biking, isn't it - all down to personal preference.

Occasionally, I think that a bit more power would be nice, but then I realise that I hardly ever use more than half throttle ... and I still find myself trying to change up to 7th 'cos I did the last overtake so easily that I could've sworn I was in 5th
Old 01-04-19, 11:58 AM   #9
zsv650s

Fair enough if you like it who's to say otherwise love my thou if they stuck the DL engine in the new frame I'd be right on that
Old 01-04-19, 05:47 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Been riding an AL7 since April 2016 and just love it, never had a V-Twin before and find the characteristics just great ( it was the sound that first grabbed my attention ), seat I can stand for a couple of hours but that is long enough on a naked bike anyway. Fitted an MRA screen but took it off because it made a formerly quiet helmet horribly noisy and did not honestly make riding any more comfortable. Fitted a front fenda extender and hugger soon after I got the bike, also radiator guard and ezegrips on the tank. Best thing I fitted though was a pair of 10watt LED spotlights ( from Alchemy motorcycle parts ) on the handlebars ( makes me super visible even in daylight ) and an H4 LED headlight bulb from classiccarleds.

The mpg I get is great, I can quite easily get over 70mpg, and with a bit of effort and short shifting nearer 80, mind you I don't do many miles in built up areas so not too much stop-start stuff.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 01-04-19 at 05:52 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote