SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-09, 09:08 PM   #1
jking

Default Acumen Cat 1 Alarm

Hi,

Im due to pick up my SV next week! I want to get an alarm fitted to it and wanted to know peoples experiences. I know that alarms can be a pain in general but I still want to have one fitted.

Does anyone use Acumen cat 1's? Cant seem to find any reviews on the net.

Or is it better to go down the datatool/meta route?

Thanks
Old 04-06-09, 09:15 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Acumen Cat 1 Alarm

My Dad has a Datatool fitted to his Tiger, apart from it setting itself after 30 seconds (good idea IMO, others seem to dislike it)

Idk as long as they're all Insurance cat 1 registered they'll all do about the same go for the one you like the most imo!
Old 04-06-09, 09:19 PM   #3
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Hi,

Im due to pick up my SV next week! I want to get an alarm fitted to it and wanted to know peoples experiences. I know that alarms can be a pain in general but I still want to have one fitted.

Does anyone use Acumen cat 1's? Cant seem to find any reviews on the net.

Or is it better to go down the datatool/meta route?

Thanks
had an Acumen for 2 yrs without any problems.
The movement sensor also keeps the cats off
Old 04-06-09, 09:28 PM   #4
ahmedf

i just had one fitted to my k9 back in october. cant fault it.
  • easy to use
  • got different sirens to individualise your alarm so u can recognise it
  • movement sensor which again is great, (not too sensitive but anyone nudge ur bike and it will fire off a few warning beeps and wont go off unless the nudging action is continuous) alarm fully kicks in if someone sits on ur bike
  • has got the indicator warning. if u leave ur indicators on too long, there is a progressively louder beep. gets a bit annoying when u have ur indicator on at the traffic lights as the beep starts after 20 flashes.
  • and the key fob has a nifty LED torch light whcih in the night allows u to see where ur igntiion slot is or the key slot for the rear seat cowel.
  • also the alarm fob comes with blank keys so ur alarm fob is not a seperate entity to ur bike keys, its all in one. (similar to most new cars nowadays, you just press a button and ur key flicks out).
overall great alarm and not had any problems with it!
hope this helps!
Old 04-06-09, 09:33 PM   #5
Airwolf

i've got one fitted.
great alarm, had it fitted at home, great job, the guy new his job. fitted in about an hour or so.
never had any probs. convenience mode setting is good.
in full mode- never had any false alarms.
found that its great value for money compared to other alarms on the market.
any questions just pm me
Old 04-06-09, 09:35 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
My Dad has a Datatool fitted to his Tiger, apart from it setting itself after 30 seconds (good idea IMO, others seem to dislike it)

Idk as long as they're all Insurance cat 1 registered they'll all do about the same go for the one you like the most imo!
New System 4 Datatool can be set not to auto arm the alarm but it will still imobilise the bike.
It can also be set to quietly arm. All soft settings via key combos.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 09:37 PM   #7
Jamiebridges123

I'd go with a Datatool after hearing if you leave your indicators on for more than 20 seconds it beeps.. annoying or what..
Old 04-06-09, 09:39 PM   #8
ahmedf

as with all alarms these functions can be turned on and off. and when i picked my bike up for the first tiem and this being my first proper bike it was a godsend as i was so nervous riding my bike for the first few times and was thinking about so many things i forgot to cancel my indicators a few times.
After i was comfortable with the bike i simply turned the function off.

Last edited by ahmedf; 04-06-09 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 09:45 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Im due to pick up my SV next week! I want to get an alarm fitted to it and wanted to know peoples experiences.
Do you need to fit one because its a stipulation of your insurance ? If so IMHO as good as the datatool is its over complicated and fussy, Whilst the Meta seems in comparision much simpler and more straightfoward to use and I like the smaller neater keyfob of the meta as well.

I had a datatool on my SV and it was a complete pain in the ass, whereas the meta on my GSXR is hassle free to the point where I dont notice it.

Cant comment on the Accumen, but I still think a dirty great big almax chain and a ground anchor is much more of a deterent than an alarm is...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 09:45 PM   #10
Airwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
I'd go with a Datatool after hearing if you leave your indicators on for more than 20 seconds it beeps.. annoying or what..
with the acumen, thats an option at wiring up. you do not have to have it.
if you do, just disconnect it when you are fed up with it.