SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old Today, 10:47 AM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Stuff and things.... :-(

This is the text of a post on fb by a friend of mine, Neil, as an intro to a post by a friend of his. I think Maisie's post sums up where we are very neatly. A sad situation.

"This post is about the reaction of many to the 20 mph speed limit in residential areas here in Wales. But then again, it's NOT really about that - it is by my friend Maisie Langridge, and eloquently describes the reason that I'm really worried for our civilisation, because we can't bear to do even this small environmental thing. (Because 'freedom'. Or 'inconvenience'. Or something.)
It's not a 'soundbite post', but it really does illustrate THE problem we technological humans face, right now. And why we may not find ourselves equal to the challenge. It's our unwillingness to change.
Please read it:

"Most folk I know and talk to are deeply concerned about the destruction of living environments, ecosystem collapse and climate change and have some understanding that we are not separate from them. Most folk I know realise that healthier natural systems will not come about only via individuals’ isolated and personal changes (solar, electric cars, recycling etc). Individuals do indeed need to change yet, more pressingly, economic, social and political systems need to lead the way in this change.
And so … It is with a heavy heart and great sadness that I hear that the Welsh Gov is having to roll back some of its recent implementation of replacing 30mph with 20mph because of a backlash from sections of the public who have “read” this policy as “daft” and/or as some personal affront.
I suspect most folk in Wales do not know how or why this policy came to be implemented. Maybe folk have listened more to “Darren & Tracy” who have an opinion about it … .
In 2015, The Senedd implemented one of the most enlightened and forward thinking policies in the democratic world: The Future Generations Policy. Check it out. Since 2015 all potential Welsh Gov policies have to be looked at through the lens of this policy which endeavours to take into account the wellbeing of Future Generations and their capacity to LIVE in a FUNCTIONING ENVIRONMENT (amongst other criteria). No other UK nation has such a policy. I don’t think any other nation in Europe has one either (check if this is correct) or anywhere else around the world (check that out - I’d be very happy to hear from others who actually KNOW).
The Welsh Gov looked at road expansion in Wales and considered a few very important things:-
1. Road expansion in Wales would rip up and utterly destroy any few remaining living habitats. (Wales, like the UK in general, is one of the MOST nature denuded countries on the planet. Way down on the list. We have very little biodiversity – we are indeed a country that gets freaked out by a vegetarian Beaver or two. We may enjoy our dramatic “landscape” here in Wales … but not much actually LIVES in it. Most areas are, in fact, ecological barren monocultures created for blood sports and subsidised (sheep) farming which also maintains environmentally barren monocultures.)
2. The building and aggregate industries (tarmac etc) are amongst the handful of most destructive industries on the planet in terms of ripping apart natural environments and contributing to CO2. (Others of course include: Oil & Gas; Certain industrial scale farming particularly to produce animal flesh for consumption (beef especially but not only – witness industrial scale chicken farms and the death of the river Wye) and the feeding of these animals for our consumption (around 80% of soy goes to animal feed); palm oil etc; and, sad to say, The Pet Industry (which is now so massive it is amongst the most destructive) to name but a few).
It concluded NOT to expand roads in Wales but instead to implement a simple policy that would:-
a) Help the environment and lessen emissions
b) Be safer and keep traffic moving even if at a slightly slower pace
c) Have less impact on the existing road system (road break up and TYRE particles – tyre particles are a massive contributor to environmental pollution and the slower your speeds the less the tyre breaks up).
The policy they decided on was to reduce SOME (but not all) existing 30mph areas to 20mph. This was intended as a (small nod to) systemic change. The very change we say we want. Of course it is/was a drop in the ocean BUT, nevertheless, a nod towards social and cultural change.
And …
We can’t even do this. We can’t even “suffer” the teeny-tiny minor inconvenience of driving at 20mph … on occasion. A personal affront that thwarts our personal desires? We do indeed find justifications for all our desires. Takes too long (makes little actual time difference actually – we simply perceive that it does). What about MY FREEDOM! Etc etc. etc. So, if we can’t even do this one small teeny-tiny thing to contribute, however minor that contribution, towards being more embracing of the natural system/s that keep us alive then what can we conclude?
If, as a nation, implementing one of the most enlightened policies in the democratic world, we find that we can’t GIVE UP ANYTHING AT ALL for Future Generations to LIVE in a functioning system, then what? We were just asked to drive at 20mph and only on occasion. So … please, someone, tell me what I am to conclude?" "
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote