SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 06-11-13, 09:15 AM   #21
M65

Default Re: Two days at Oulton

Sorry for going to totally off topic, but Ogden, please can you give me the details on how you mounted your GoPro. Currently looking for something similar for my 750.

Cheers
Old 06-11-13, 09:37 AM   #22
ogden
Mega Poster

Standard RAM U-bolt mount and arm on the left clipon, same as you'd use for a satnav, and standard GoPro tripod mount screwed into a spare RAM ball with 1/4" thread.

S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 09:42 AM   #23
M65

Ah, on the clip on. I hadnt really considered that. I have been looking at yoke nut mounted stuff but the way you have gone is quite a good alternative. Easy to fit? Secure? The footage certainly looked it. My personal preference would be not to have the clocks showing, but Im sure an extension on the RAM arm could help with that. Intriguing.....
Old 06-11-13, 10:01 AM   #24
ogden
Mega Poster

Well, it stayed in place in a 75mph crash, so I reckon we can say it's secure. Fitment was easy - I used to use the bike for touring, so fitted the mount years ago for a satnav.

I quite like having the clocks in view. Shows revs and speed, cheaper than a fancy overlay. You can avoid it with either a longer arm or just by tilting the camera a bit higher.
Old 06-11-13, 10:48 AM   #25
M65

Im looking at it from a touring point of view as we are going round Scotland in May next year and would want to record it. I'll do a track day or 2 aswell but that set up looks nice and out of the way of the rider which I like. I have a free app for overlays that shows track position etc too so thats fine. If its free, Im interested! I think I need to check out the RAM site.
Old 06-11-13, 11:04 AM   #26
ogden
Mega Poster

Tripod mount: https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...82306429069340

RAM ball: http://www.burrowsgps.co.uk/1-ball-c...37-i20461.html

Handlebar mount: http://www.buybits.com/Product/3568/...-sku-3568.aspx

You may find you need a slightly different mount - there are some available that bolt onto existing clamps, and there is a genuine GoPro RAM mount part, but I've no idea what it costs.
Old 06-11-13, 11:12 AM   #27
a_monkey_hint

I went to oulton in July, and had a tank slapper on that exact corner on a greasy track. Track was drying out, so became overconfident. Luckily managed to keep it shiny side up.
Old 06-11-13, 11:27 AM   #28
ogden
Mega Poster

Do you mean a head shake or do you mean the back stepped out and you fishtailed for a bit?

There's a bump just after the exit from Druids that's quite lively - I find the front tends to lift there most times, even in the wet - but since I bought an Ohlins steering damper I've not had a big problem with head shake. Bought it after a day at Rockingham where I was getting increasingly vicious wobbles on the straight at the back of the pits and decided it was time to throw money at the problem.
Old 06-11-13, 11:36 AM   #29
a_monkey_hint

Yeah headshake - just another name for a tank slapper isn't it?. Needed new trousers after that! Love Oulton though, can't wait to go back!
Old 06-11-13, 11:43 AM   #30
ogden
Mega Poster

Yeah, a tankslapper is just really, really bad resonant head shake.

Thing about them is you won't really cause one by being hamfisted, more that in certain circumstances they just happen. Which is why the steering damper was the first bit of bling that I fitted to the gixer - the stock (non-adjustable) damper just wasn't up to the job.