SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-12-07, 06:53 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Police "disappointed" by drink drive figures

Just watching this on the telly.

Can you be disappointed when you have no reason to expect anything else? Especially if IMO you have caused the increase....

A bit harsh you might say, but (a) When was the last time you were stopped by a police car? And (b) when was the last time you were caught speeding by a camera?

The answer for me is (a) over five years (only because I had a tail light out, before that we're talking 10 years) and (b) twice in the last five years.

I drive/ride 35-40 thousand miles a year.

If drink drivers know that they haven't been stopped by a police car in the last 200 thousand miles, what is going to stop them driving 5 miles home from the pub after a few pints?

Why do so many folk ignore mobile phone laws? Why do so many ignore lane discipline? Tail gate? Use fog lights to look chavvy? Drive without insurance?

Until the police present themselves with a greater visibility and greater activity on our roads, they can expect nothing other than increasing drink driving convictions at the one time of the year when they do show thier faces, and nothing other than deteriorating driving standards year on year.

A speed camera may be self funding, but it cannot replace a human being in a car.

I know there's a few of our force members on here who might want to spring to defence, but I'm not having a go at the average boy in blue. I'm having a go at the bosses and policy makers. I'm Joe Public and this is how I feel, print it off and give it to your gaffers!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 31-12-07 at 07:46 PM.
Old 31-12-07, 07:01 PM   #2
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Default Re: Police "disappointed" by drink drive figures

Ralph,

I see your point mate I really do - I am now gonna let the cat out of the bag but I am a copper (ahhh sorry - for all that liked me before please stay with me LOL).

I work for Staffs and just done the traffic attachment which has opened my eyes to what the bike cops really do. In 1 day alone we took (between 6 officers) 20 plus cars off the road for no insurance, doesn't seem alot but I hear you say but 20 x 6 days we on shift a week is alot for 6 bobbies.

Also, I have been stopped in my own car twice this week for a drink drive campaign that is being run in Staffs.

As an insider all I can say is, like any other job, there just ain't enough man power to do everything. So the greater visibility thing is always a problem but we do our best.
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-07, 07:28 PM   #3
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Shellwoozle,

I'll still be your friend.

Then again, I am in traffic so I won't be suprised if you don't speak to me!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-07, 07:31 PM   #4
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Oh, and on a more serious note,

There are not enought traffic cops on the roads.

Shout at your local politician, councellor, Gov't official for more of us. Safety cameras only make that 20 meter section of road safe. Me in my Volvo makes everywhere I go a little bit safer 'cos everyone drives pefectly when the Cops are there don't they!
Old 31-12-07, 07:32 PM   #5
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post

Shout at your local politician, councellor, Gov't official for more of us. Safety cameras only make that 20 meter section of road safe. Me in my Volvo makes everywhere I go a little bit safer 'cos everyone drives pefectly when the Cops are there don't they!
What area do you cover Pete ?
Old 31-12-07, 07:35 PM   #6
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Salford and Trafford in M'cr. IE, city centre north to Prestwich, NW to Bolton, west to Leigh, SW to Partington, south to Bowdon and the airport.

And sometimes, there are as many as four of us to cover it!
Old 31-12-07, 07:38 PM   #7
stewie

Quote:
Salford and Trafford in M'cr. IE, city centre north to Prestwich, NW to Bolton, west to Leigh, SW to Partington, south to Bowdon and the airport.

Better man than me mate, ave a good un, off out to get miraculous now, mrs stewie driving as well
Old 31-12-07, 07:48 PM   #8
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:

You have 4 you lucky devil - I have patrolled alone at times - no joke !!
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-07, 07:52 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Quote:
Safety cameras only make that 20 meter section of road safe
Well guys, thanks for understanding that my rant isn't against you in your volvo. Quite the opposite, I want to see more of you in your Volvo. Shellywoozle, what your doing is great and an achievement, there just isn't enough of you.

The speed camera doesn't even achieve a safe 20 metres though, it achieves a speed limit enforced 20 metres, no more. So long as you drive through it at 29mph, you could be drunk as a skunk, uninsured, unlicensed in a death trp with no MOT, and have 10 outstanding arrest warrants.
Old 31-12-07, 07:53 PM   #10
HopefullySoon

Quote:

I agree with the speed camera (oops safety camera) arguement there BP , I drive trucks for a living and see a shocking amount of bad driving out there and have soo many 'I wish there was a copper sat in front of me ' moments usually on the motorway tho .

Would love a ride with you one day , if only to have a chat , brew and moan about drivers lol .

HNY

Hopefully Soon

E2A - stopped 6 mths ago in truck to be be told plates had been clones (i wasnt a tonne ldv van ) , and last time in the car was for speeding pre safety camera era .

Last edited by HopefullySoon; 31-12-07 at 07:56 PM.