SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes 24 34.78%
No 36 52.17%
Keithd 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-09-14, 04:03 PM   #351
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Org Scottish Referendum

successful as a union for how long is the question. lets face it the UK is nearing its end as it cant sustain the economic growth rate needed due to the cost of living and unless something drastic is done in the near future then it's not looking pretty.

the UK as a whole has had its good and bad times and we have all worked threw it for the good of us all but like friends one of them is deciding that the grass looks greener on the other side and want to make a go of it while they still can. just like other newly formed country's of late. i would hope as being grown up induviduals the UK and Scotland can work things out that are going to benefit both of us, just because Scotland become an independent nation are our friends going to close the door in Scotland's face... i think not, remember as a new country we will need to buy a lot of things and one of these things are weapons, planes and ships to arm our forces, where do you think these weapons etc.etc are going to come from, yes we could build them ourselves but it's a lot quicker and easier to buy from people who are already equipped to do so. now if its a sore bitter parting of friends Scotland might just look at other country's to supply our forces.

this is all speculation of course as we wont know what happens till years to come and it's all resting on what happens tomorrow.

good luck to the no voters for tomorrow and if you win i wish you all of the financial security that comes with being in the union.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-14, 04:25 PM   #352
Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
good luck to the no voters for tomorrow and if you win i wish you all of the financial security that comes with being in the union.
With financial security like that, who needs enemies? The Euro is dying (in fact it's already dead, they just haven't closed the coffin) france is on its knees, German municipalities are all bordering on bankruptcy, The head of the IMF is going to strip you of 10% of whatever is in your accounts, and they are going Gung Ho to federalise Europe.. despite the entire population of the Eu wanting the exact opposite.

Good Luck Scotland. With the right management (not likely) they could be the new Switzerland. It's all about power. If they break away, all of those listed above will lose it. No one can push Scotland around. Norway isn't in the EU and they're still alive and well.

C
Old 17-09-14, 04:26 PM   #353
Spank86

Quote:
successful as a union for how long is the question. lets face it the UK is nearing its end as it cant sustain the economic growth rate needed due to the cost of living and unless something drastic is done in the near future then it's not looking pretty.
I would look at the number if I were you, the UK's going to be fine and the cost of living is not such a problem. Yes the theoretical cost of living is high but that's driven up by things like house and fuel prices. Most other things are toddling alone just fine.
I would ask, economic growth rate needed for what?
We're coming out of a recession, not fast, but then neither is the rest of the world and that hurts us, but we're coming out of it and that's a normal economic cycle, This is nothing new, it's a bit worse than previous ones because it was a meltdown that was artificially held off for longer, the bigger the boom the bigger the bust, but we're more or less through it now and things will pick up.

If you're voting Scotland because you think the UK can't survive then you'd better pray you're wrong because the cost of living will not be lower in an independent Scotland, as you said your government will need to buy a lot of stuff and it'll need money to do that.
Old 17-09-14, 04:29 PM   #354
Fordward

Quote:
to the no camp. if as you rightly say the yes voters will not be swayed then its going to be a landslide vote for independence of Scotland. who do you think put SNP in power in Scotland? well these very same cant be swayed yes voters. but surprise surprise it looks like some of these yes voters are actually having second thoughts and might just vote no.
SNP got into power in 2007. There are of course previous SNP supporters voting No, but they've probably been a No ever since Salmond released 'Scotlands Future'. What I'm questioning is how many voters in THIS referendum intended to vote Yes, but swayed to No as a result of all the warnings coming from around the world.

I guess there will be a number of voters who won't decide until they have the pen in their hands.

Last edited by Fordward; 17-09-14 at 04:30 PM.
Old 17-09-14, 04:42 PM   #355
Bibio
Mega Poster

precisely spank and as a yes voter i'm prepared for the hard times that may be ahead in the hope that in the future Scotland will stand on it's own two feet. nobody said it will be easy, nothing ever is when it comes to politics and economics.

oohh one more thing about those two individuals you refer to, it was not Browns fault that Blair spent, spent, spent. Brown told Blair that if we went invading other country's for the cause against terrorism that we could not afford to do so, Blair ignored this advice and the money had to come from somewhere so Brown HAD to borrow to keep us in the black. if it had been up to Brown we would never have invaded Iraq. yes Brown is a complete knobend but i do believe he had and still has the best interest of the public at heart, Blair on the other hand had only one agenda and that was to look as good as he could on the world podium and grab as much cash for himself as possible. you might find this a bit hard to swallow but Brown gives all the money he makes by doing public speeches and so fourth to charity. i personally dont like the man but he is a very clever person that i do believe has the welfare of public at heart.
Old 17-09-14, 04:46 PM   #356
Spank86

I agree brown did his best, I just think he got everything wrong except for the things he got from the Tories (which could be One of the most ironic things ever)
Old 17-09-14, 04:55 PM   #357
Bibio
Mega Poster

nobody is perfect but in the face of things i think he actually done a good job balancing the books so to speak. he couldn't help having a partner that liked to spend to keep himself looking good by creating jobs so he would get the votes add to this Blair and his bum buddy liked to play with guns in other peoples back yards. while Blair spent Brown was forced to balance the books but was told you cant cut public spending and still have to create a growth in jobs. thats a bit like having a partner who likes flash cars or dresses and spends all the house keeping money on them. you have to borrow to keep the roof over your head.
Old 17-09-14, 04:58 PM   #358
Spank86

The thing is it was the Tories that balanced the books. Brown inherited that and continued their policies and then whilst Britain was still booming he started expanding the public sector and running up debt.

That was the point which lead to our current issues (not the world crunch, the way we've had to deal with it).

They borrowed and borrowed and now when we should be borrowing it's already been done, it made the boom bigger and the bust worse.
Old 17-09-14, 04:58 PM   #359
Fordward

My old man went to school with Gordon Brown, though he was a few years above him. There's 5 years between them, but Gordon Brown was clever so he got fast tracked into Kirkcaldy High 2 years early. As you can imagine this didn't make him very popular and it made him the smallest by a significant margin, so he had a pretty hard time of it.

You know what Bill Gates says, "Be nice to the geek at school, you're going to end up working for him".

Last edited by Fordward; 17-09-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 17-09-14, 05:02 PM   #360
Heorot

I was intrigued by Bibio's comment on buying weapons. I can't imagine what they would need apart from aircraft and perhaps some infantry weapons.

The US is the biggest arms seller in the world, but I can't see them selling to an independent Scotland and ****ing off the UK. The current UK is the second biggest so you can forget that. So who do you buy from? Russia, France Sweden? Please enlighten us.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote