SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 11-02-08, 03:57 PM   #21
Baph

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
But Z6s are not the only other tyre on the mraket ...
No, but they're the same category, and the only other tyre (not counting the Dunlops) that I've tried.

Name me another tyre you can happily get 8000miles to a rear from, whilst not really hanging about on contryside A/B roads?
Old 11-02-08, 04:00 PM   #22
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
No, but they're the same category, and the only other tyre (not counting the Dunlops) that I've tried.

Name me another tyre you can happily get 8000miles to a rear from, whilst not really hanging about on contryside A/B roads?
Bridgestone 020 (or whatever may have superseded that by now?)

Got one on the back of my curvy at the mo, great little tyre
Old 11-02-08, 04:13 PM   #23
gettin2dizzy

Surely the pilot road 2 won't require the same effort to warm up as a pilot race 2? I remember an article about this stating most riders were more comfortable on the road versions as they could keep the tyres warmer.

Saying that- I got the pegs down on a 7500 mile square d220 when it wasn't paticularly warm. All modern tyres are seriously grippy in the dry.
Old 11-02-08, 04:13 PM   #24
Baph

Every response I've just had from a google query for the 020's in stock SV sizes, both on SVs and other bikes, comes back saying 5-6k miles.

To contrast that, some responses for the PR2s (again, stock SV sizes) comes back at up to 10k miles.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just I haven't seen anything that can outlast the Z6/PR2s.

I know of thou's that have been touring in Europe (fully loaded) and managed 7k miles to a rear PR2.
Old 11-02-08, 04:17 PM   #25
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
I buy my tyres 2nd hand, so can't really comment on total mileage ... to be honest I don't take note/care!! but if that is your main driver then indeed it will be more important than it working well cold or randomly spitting you off ... so the PR2 sounds like it wins on the mileage front?!!?
Old 11-02-08, 04:19 PM   #26
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Personal choice init

I hate Brigdgestones and I'll never put another one on my bike. 014's robbed me of pretty much every ounce of confidence due to sudden and unexpected spinning up. They I found just let go with no warning whatsoever and I lost my trust in the bike. Also 1800 miles out of rear tyre, your having a laugh arent you. Had to ride like a nutter to get heat into them and then if you backed the pace off they lost their heat and they it was back to no feel from the tyre again. Yuck.

I had 020's on my SV and I found they went square quickly and whilst I thought they were OK when I switched to Z6's I realised that they were'nt for me that good a tyre.

I found the 2CT OK, but it does feel woodden when its cold, no feel at all, but if you can learn to trust it they do actually give good grip.

Pirellia Diablo Corsa III, my fave tyre yet. Gives me the feel I want from the front end and confidence to tap the throttle on coming out of a corner, in cold, wet or dry conditions.

Z6's I really like, same reason as the Corsa III. they work well in all conditions and give me confidence and the feel I want from teh bike. I even considered putting these on the GSXR at one point as I was completely demoralised by the 014's

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 04:45 PM   #27
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
I buy my tyres 2nd hand, so can't really comment on total mileage ... to be honest I don't take note/care!! but if that is your main driver then indeed it will be more important than it working well cold or randomly spitting you off ... so the PR2 sounds like it wins on the mileage front?!!?
Almost 30,000 miles on the bike. No tyre has (yet) "randomly spit me off."

IMO, comments such as that do not help riders more at the novice end of the scale.

As fizz says, each to their own, but I get sufficient feedback from PR2s, and there's nothing random about them. Entirely predictable in fact, which leaves me with long lasting tyres that I personally cannot fault.
Old 11-02-08, 04:48 PM   #28
Lozzo

Quote:

I've found that running PR2s on roads (not tracks) at 33/36, there's a LOT of sidewall flex when they're cold. This could be what you've descibed as unpredicability, and quite rightly, it scared the bejeebus out of me so much I was almost prepared to pay £200 for a new set of tyres that did the job.

However, that only lasted/lasts for the first 5-10mins of a ride on the road, and then the tyre is sufficiently heated (for me).

Running the PR2s at 36/42 virtually eliminates this sidewall flexing, and I find no problems with them whatsoever.
Strange, I was told by John Baines from Baines Racing to drop the pressures by 3psi for road use when I had PR2s on my Daytona 955i, and it worked well. He reckoned the sidewalls were too stiff.
Old 11-02-08, 04:52 PM   #29
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Strange, I was told by John Baines from Baines Racing to drop the pressures by 3psi for road use when I had PR2s on my Daytona 955i, and it worked well. He reckoned the sidewalls were too stiff.
I found a lot of vague sideways movement, especially at low speeds (sub 20mph). I played about with pressures, both lower an higher, and found the best setting for me, was 36/42.

After talking to the local tyre shop, I'm told that the sideways movement has been commented on by other customers, and it can pretty much only be caused by the sidewall flexing.
Old 11-02-08, 05:59 PM   #30
simon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
How many miles had you done on the originals, and is the SV your 1st bike ?

Had a VERY similar experience when I switched to PR2's, but it WAS pointed out to me that due to having has them on since the SV was new and then with the way I rode, the BT220's were, to be fair, quite squared off.

So the PR2's with their new profile would have an effect on how the bike handled, but then nre BT220's would have had some of that effect.

Plus there is the "in your head" aspect of the bad press the BT220's get that may have a bikker effect than you think

But enjoy the PR2's, I know I did.
Did about 4000 on D220's, and no this isn't my first bike (it is my first SV though), had my licence over 10yrs now and have ridden in all seasons.

Never had problems with tyres before and I've used plenty in the past but these were the first Dunlops, and I found them lacking feel, particularly the front even when hot during summer. I found that as the tyres squared off the vague feeling worsened due to profile change. I didn't feel comfortable riding on them and had to change, despite being just over half worn.

90% of my opinion of these was made before reading any 'bad press' but IMO, D220's are poor tyres when compared to other manufacturers Sport/Touring rubber.