SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-04-15, 05:18 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Happy News

rant mode on:

why is there no news program that is about nice things?

it seems that this lovely country of ours is obsessed with doom and gloom which just goes to show how fekin miserable the population is.

i would rather watch news about people being saved that people being killed, i would rather watch news about good deeds of the day rather then people being mugged etc.etc. dont even get me started about the 'bad people' in other country's that are blowing other people up getting so much coverage like its something to be proud about.

rant mode off...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-15, 05:30 PM   #2
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: Happy News

That is not a proper RANT!! wheres the swear words. Come on do it right
Old 13-04-15, 05:37 PM   #3
Trev B

I think it's all to do with conditioning the human condition,Total apathy drags us to a point where they could drop a nuclear bomb and we wouldn't notice,(sounds wrong but you know what I mean)!!!
Old 13-04-15, 07:59 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Bad news sells.

Its our news producers culture that needs to change, we have tooo much of it, too many channels to fill slots.

Go to the continental style, just 5mins of factual news reports, no sexing it up, no swingometers, less outside broadcasts in the dark outside No 10, no dumbing down as if we're 10 years old
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-15, 08:54 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Spot on there. I despair of the BBC News department, it's all about the presenters and their inflated egos. Drives me mad when there's an item with a statesperson or a celebrity doing something, and the ****ing reporter insists on being bang in the middle of the shot obscuring the real story. **** off out of shot and let us see the important people.

Also agree totally about the continental style, I often watch Euronews just to get some sane reporting, even if it does tend rather towards the bad stuff at least there is usually a modest amount of good mixed in.
Old 13-04-15, 09:58 PM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

It's news not entertainment. It's purpose is to inform about things that might affect you. Seeing nice things might cheer you up, but isn't useful information. All the bad stuff that goes on might be relevant to you and affect your life directly. So leave the potentially useful stuff where it is and go watch teletubbies if you can't cope.
Old 13-04-15, 11:05 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

no! news is to report recent happenings it has nothing to do with what might affect you. its sole purpose it to report what has been going on in local, national and world events.

i would rather read/watch about nice stuff going on in the world that will cheer me up rather than read/watch stuff that makes me angry.
Old 14-04-15, 08:34 AM   #8
pookie

I watch Russell Howard's good news for a laugh http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00phwkz failing that I hear plenty of people use facebook to share what a wonderful life / community they have. Although I dont use it so I can neither confirm this or deny it.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future

Last edited by pookie; 14-04-15 at 08:37 AM.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-15, 12:29 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

watch Russell Howard as well, love that show and one of the very few things i actually watch on TV.
Old 14-04-15, 01:17 PM   #10
Brettus

I opted out of news ages ago (around 2 years at least) and found I'm much happier for it. I no longer hear about babies being abused until death, people being missing and bodies later found, people being run over etc. (I question why I'd need to know of that in the first place) Not to mention the atrocities in other countries that I can do even less about.

I dipped my toe back in when someone mentioned the german plane and soon wished I hadn't, turned out not a mechanical failing (which might've been pertinent to me) but a human failing that made me incredibly sad once more.

That said, it's definitely a choice you can make, not watch, vote with your feet (or eyes) and if you don't tune in and are the majority they'll change. If you are in the minority then you've got your choice.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote