SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-07-18, 03:04 PM   #31
Seeker

Default Re: Pointy no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
Not done any of that, its getting into areas I dont have any experience of
OK, I understand. I wouldn't throw any more parts at it, just take it to a dealer. Good luck.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-18, 03:09 PM   #32
Stilo

Only 1 FI not 2 so does that mean that I have been "barking up the wrong tree"
Old 22-07-18, 03:31 PM   #33
glang

so where are the letters 'FI' showing, below the speed reading where engine temperature normally shows or to the left of it?
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-18, 03:33 PM   #34
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
Only 1 FI not 2 so does that mean that I have been "barking up the wrong tree"
I'm not too sure what that means.

The problem with diagnostic software is that it is written by someone who has to visualise every possible contingency. The fact that you are getting an FI warning light with no error code implies that he has missed one condition. If you google Suzuki FI light no error, you will find people with similar problems (because the code was probably written by the same person or team). If you do google it, you will also find that there was not one common factor, although the ignition switch does feature a lot.

If the software cannot point us in the correct direction we have to investigate ourselves and check the obvious stuff. It's time consuming, frequently frustrating and eventually you start to question your own sanity.

At the end of the day, a mechanic who works on this stuff daily, may look at the symptoms and say: "Oh yeah, it's the flux capacitor, they all do that on a Tuesday."

We can offer suggestions, some of them may even be intelligent, but we are not in front of your bike and there's a limit to what we (or at least I) can do with the limited information you have given us.
Old 22-07-18, 03:52 PM   #35
glang

Unfortunately everybody calls the red warning light the FI light but it can also indicate a high coolant temperature and low oil pressure.....
Old 22-07-18, 04:43 PM   #36
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Unfortunately everybody calls the red warning light the FI light but it can also indicate a high coolant temperature and low oil pressure.....
...which brings us back to "no spark".

The coils sit with 12V on them and the ECU completes the ground path when it receives a signal from the crank position sensor but without some voltage and resistance measurements, I don't see a way forward.

He did say that the light goes out when cranking which probably means it's just showing oil pressure.

...onward...to the dealer...
Old 22-07-18, 04:49 PM   #37
Stilo

Thanks for everybodys input and help, its a bit like buying a kitchen, the more you look at it the more options there are. I am going to get the dealer to have a look at it, I used them before with a GSF650 and they were sensible.
I will update this thread with the fix to broaden the general knowldge and hopefullly help somebody else in the future.
Old 22-07-18, 04:50 PM   #38
Stilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
so where are the letters 'FI' showing, below the speed reading where engine temperature normally shows or to the left of it?
To the left
Old 22-07-18, 04:53 PM   #39
glang

youre probably right but I cant understand what Stilo has found different this time when starting the bike as the red light must have come on every time the ignition has been turned on since owning the bike and then gone out when cranking - whats different this time to indicate an FI problem or is it just because it didnt start?
Old 22-07-18, 04:56 PM   #40
glang

ok Stilo we crossed. Well if theres no other indications then the problem doesnt match anything in the manual so Im afraid its got to be the dealer.....