SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-07, 12:15 AM   #1
ivanthegreat

Default Help with lowering my 2003 SV

First of all if there's already threads on this I aplogize, I did search and found a few of my questions answered...

I have a 03 SV650 and it seems to be just a tad too high for me. On a flat surface, I have about from my toes to the middle of my foot on the ground. I've experienced problems at slight inclines out of parking lots and etc.

I don't think scooping out the seat is going to be enough for me. I've heard that people have put longer dog bones to lower the bike a bit. Should I go with Suzuki parts? I see people making these dog bones but I don't want to replace them w/ a chance of the metal being too weak.

Also, if I do replace the dog bones, should I also worry about lowering the front? If so, how does one lower the front? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-07, 01:47 AM   #2
instigator

Cutting the seat down should be enough, you'd be surprised at just how much it will take off!

As for lowering the front, undo the pinch bolts on top and bottom yoke and slowly let the bike down to the desired height. Best get a friend to help whilst you do this if you're unsure.

As for dog bones, there are always sellers on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...spagenameZWDVW email that seller and ask if he/she can get any for the 03.

I note you are in the US. Google SV Rider for a more US orientated forum. But welcome anyway!
Old 03-02-07, 09:35 AM   #3
jenni

Don't go the dogbones route! if you can vaguly get your feet on the floor then you don't need to. I lowered mine and am contemplating getting it put back now I have had the bike for 2 years
Old 03-02-07, 12:31 PM   #4
FG1

Jenni, what did you do to lower yours, seat or dogbones ??
Old 04-02-07, 07:52 PM   #5
Kate

There are a number of ways to lower an SV - drop the forks, adjust the preload at the back, get a lower seat, get longer dog bones or get boots with built-up soles.

I did all of the above on my SV and that meant I could touch the tips of my toes on both sides. Btw, you realise the K3 is the tallest of all SVs?

If you can get away with it, I wouldn't lower the SV as it really does affect the handling and from the sound of it you can already get more of your feet down than I ever can! If you are having trouble at lights etc, try just putting one foot down and sliding your bum off the seat slightly. You can also get a Suzuki lower seat but they aren't that easy to get hold of but that would probably be all you need.

If you do get longer dogbones I would probably go with Suzuki ones but its a personal choice.
Old 05-02-07, 11:59 PM   #6
ivanthegreat

I appreciate the help. I want to try to make it more comfortable for me without compromising the geometry of the bike. So it seems the best option for me is to go with either scooping out the seat (any how-to's online for this?) or buying the Suzuki factory seat made for lowering that Kate mentioned. Do you recommend anywhere or just see my local dealer? Anyone have a part number?
Old 07-02-07, 01:26 AM   #7
ivanthegreat

I just checked on that "lower" seat with a local motorcycle parts department that stocks Suzuki parts. He said they sell an OEM seat that doesn't really say it lowers the seat, but it's made of gel and might in turn make it a little lower when you sit down. Is this what you are talking about Kate?

P.S. The gel seat lists at $139.00!
Old 07-02-07, 03:18 AM   #8
_drummer_

Think you're after something like this (bargain at $5.95 start with 19hrs left) clicky
Old 07-02-07, 08:39 AM   #9
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _drummer_
Think you're after something like this (bargain at $5.95 start with 19hrs left) clicky
Thats exactly what I was on about! This is the official lower seat that isn't in production anymore (I think) and its only for the K3. I had one of these and it was really comfortable too. I would get bidding ivanthegreat!
Old 07-02-07, 11:18 PM   #10
ivanthegreat

Sweet, thanks for lookin out guys. Unfortunately I was out bidded 1 minute before the auction ended =(. And I don't see anymore on ebay right now. Hopefully that guy has more to sell. If anyone comes across any more online, please let me know. Appreciate it guys.