SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-07, 12:46 PM   #1
rpwoodman

Default Ride magazine - insurers

My insurance is due for renewal in a couple of days.
I'm currently with Carole Nash, but they seem to be working very hard to lose my custom, so I thought I'd look around for another insurer.

Ride mag did a survey where readers listed which insurer they were happy with (Carole Nash was at about number 20 I seem to remember), so I brought it in today so I could phone around at lunchtime. However, it seems it's not in the Rider Power 2006 issue (Nov 2006). I don't suppose anyone has the issue to hand, and if so, could they give me the names of the top 5 insurers?

many thanks.
Old 10-01-07, 01:01 PM   #2
Mr Toad

try eBike insurers - online

they're usually pretty cheep, and will cover things like exhausts, etc
Old 10-01-07, 01:06 PM   #3
rpwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
try eBike insurers - online
Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried them yesterday actually. £55 cheaper than Carole Nash which is good, but their leathers insurance is a maximum of £800 with a 300 excess (worded in such a way that it looked like the max they would pay would be £500), and that doesn't cover my leathers. As Carole Nash don't do leathers cover at all, it's still an improvement (at a cost of £50), but I thought I'd look around and see what else is available.

Rgds
Old 10-01-07, 01:27 PM   #4
hovis

try suzuki

i only tried about 10 & it was the cheapest
Old 10-01-07, 01:45 PM   #5
rpwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5
try suzuki
Thanks for that.
Well, their web site told me I couldn't have the level of no claims I have (!), and then were more expensive than anyone else I've tried, with a £500 excess, and no leathers insurance! Strange how these things work out for sligthly different circumstances.
Old 10-01-07, 02:15 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Leathers are covered under uninsured losses. i have never had any trouble claiming in that way.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 02:22 PM   #7
Ed

As re leathers, it's much cheaper anyway to add them to 'Articles away from the home' under your home contents cover. You will need proactively to include these as most household insurers won't cover it ordinarily, so ask, I found that it costs about £20.
Old 10-01-07, 02:23 PM   #8
rpwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Leathers are covered under uninsured losses. i have never had any trouble claiming in that way.
That's interesting. Ok, if the accident was not my fault (can be claimed frmo 3rd party), but if it's my fault? Surely if I crash my bike, I ruin my leathers and I can just claim them as an uninsured less, there would be no point in buying the leathers cover (that companies such as eBike offer)?
Old 10-01-07, 02:27 PM   #9
rpwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
As re leathers, it's much cheaper anyway to add them to 'Articles away from the home' under your home contents cover. You will need proactively to include these as most household insurers won't cover it ordinarily, so ask, I found that it costs about £20.
I spoke to my insurers(Endsleigh) about that and they won't insure it because they say it is "sports equipment". As my house is subsiding (15mm gaps from roof to floor - NHBC says is "cosmetic"...) and they're dealing with it, I don't think it would be wise to move house insurers at the minute.
Old 10-01-07, 02:33 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
That's interesting. Ok, if the accident was not my fault (can be claimed frmo 3rd party), but if it's my fault? Surely if I crash my bike, I ruin my leathers and I can just claim them as an uninsured less, there would be no point in buying the leathers cover (that companies such as eBike offer)?
I would imagine that if you where fully comp that you can still claim uninsured losses. Much the same if you calim for loss of earning and suchlike. Im almost positive that this is how it works. I have claimed twice against others, but never for myself, but i have never had Fully comp ins on the bike.

What you have to think is that insurance companies will think their customers are thick and wont know this, so they will try to extorte money from you. Well, thats my theory.

Anyway, you have just reminded me, i need to insure doris on the 2nd feb
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote