SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 24-01-05, 09:40 PM   #1
ophic
Mega Poster

Default last year's rideout

does anyone remember where we went? got a vague idea but can't remember the specifics. Does anyone remember the exact roads and routes?

Cheers
Old 24-01-05, 10:25 PM   #2
BURNER

Hmm 'member we started at Glossop Tesco's, blasted up Snake Pass the A57 and then turned right at the reservoir. After that it's kinda vague but I reckon Ratty will remember or Amanda.
I'd check my map but I tore that page out to use on the day and haven't replaced the map yet
Old 26-01-05, 12:18 PM   #3
mrs fud

Default .

Ophic,

Unfortunately we didn't get there as we spent the day in piggin Rochdale hospital as my dad binned his bike on the motorway on our way to meet some of the gang at Glossop.

Hopefully make it without any "offs" this year.

Jo.
Old 26-01-05, 12:25 PM   #4
Amanda M

Snake pass up to the reservoir then right at lights, go through a village and the next big set of lights turn right. Then you have a choice, you can either turn off and go over Edale (which we didn't do) or head off towards Castleton. If you go towards Castleton, you go through Hope then after a while you need to take the road that veers off to the left of the main road past a tourist center. Then you go up through a twisty uphill road with rock slopes on either side. When you get to the junction at the top turn right and this road will take you to Chapel-en-le-frith.

HTH
Old 26-01-05, 01:41 PM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

Thanks Amanda was thinking of heading that way as soon as the weather improves
Old 26-01-05, 01:44 PM   #6
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic
Thanks Amanda was thinking of heading that way as soon as the weather improves
If you do, give me a shout and I'll pop along.
Old 26-01-05, 01:50 PM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

certainly will unless i do it at a moments notice - you know the sort of thing - look out of window, sun's out, off i go...

in fact if i give myself a half hour headstart before calling u, i bet u'll still catch me
Old 26-01-05, 01:58 PM   #8
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic
certainly will unless i do it at a moments notice - you know the sort of thing - look out of window, sun's out, off i go...

in fact if i give myself a half hour headstart before calling u, i bet u'll still catch me
I'll still be getting used to the raptor so I'll be taking it easy
Old 26-01-05, 10:48 PM   #9
Ratty

Ophic

Look up this route on your map. As Amanda has said, this is most of your Rideout route.

From Glossop: A57 Snake Pass towards Sheffield. Turn right after Resovoir onto A6013 for Bamford. Follow road to the end and turn right onto A625, through Hope and onto Castleton. Left turn onto Winnets Pass which is Amanda's climb up through the rocks. Turn right at the top and then sharp left to continue on the remainder of the A625 (the bit in the middle collapsed years ago). This is the fast downhill thrash to where we turned onto the A6 for Buxton, BUT....Carry straight on under the by-pass and onto and straight through Chapel-en-le-Frith. You will eventually come to a set of lights where there is a left turn onto the B5004 (long Hill) to Buxton. Take care along this classic bikers road. Decending off Long Hill into Buxton town centre there is a spur road to a right turn as the main road bears left. Take this Spur onto the A53 towards Leek. After a mile or so you go through a set of lights and turn right about 300 yards further onto the A537 Cat & Fiddle pass sign posted for Macclesfield. Gently cruise over the Cat and decend into Macc observing the speed limits and you will come to a set of lights. Turn right at the lights and proceed to the next roundabout. Take the third exit for Kettleshulme and stop at Tesco's for lunch. Carry on along this road to Whalley Bridge and when you come to the lights at the end, go straight through to Chapel-en-le-Frith and retrace your steps back or turn right back onto Long Hill for lap 2 (if your riding with Wigan 650!!!).

Give us a call when you do it cos I'll like to tag along too.

Ratty
Old 26-01-05, 11:40 PM   #10
ophic
Mega Poster

awesome Ratty - the bits i remember and was trying to find are around Castleton, but the rest of the route looks awesome too. I'm hoping the weather clears up and i get a free weekend soon cos i'm itching to get out.

Will certainly call ppl before i go keep an eye out for a thread on it