SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Were you ever in the military?
Yes. 55 33.74%
No. 108 66.26%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-05, 08:47 PM   #1
BURNER

Default How many of us are ex-military?

What with all the wife bashing and punch up threads I thought time that this question was asked.
Theory of mine is that loads of ex-squaddies ride bikes. On the street fighter forums there always seems to be loads of ex-paras.

I was never in Her Majesty's Forces. A conscript I was for a corrupt and evil regime. Damn those were good times

All good threads should have pics tho.

Below is an extract from the web

ARTILLERY VERSUS AVIATION

Throughout January, fighting went on unabated when UNITA and SADF forces attacked fortified positions defended by the 21st Brigade at Cuatir. Soon, both sides dug in, resorting to static warfare tactics. The raids launched by Cuban MiG-23s were followed by South African artillery barrages. But in spite of the support they were getting, UNITA infantry was rolled back more than 12km by FAPLA 21st Brigade which had been recreated in the meantime. On 14 February, a combat group led by Major Mike Muller and comprising elements from the 61st Mechanised Brigade took on the FAPLA 59th Brigade at Tumpo, some 20km to the east of Cuito-Cuanavale, while the 32nd Battalion attacked Menongue. The Angolans pulled out in good order, even launching a counter attack which failed disastrously with the loss of 230 men and a sizeable quantity of equipment (including SAMs and BM-21 s). This engagement cost the South Africans four men, one Ratel and two damaged Olifants. Again, Task Force Muller attacked Tumpo but was checked by a combination of minefields, Angolan artillery barrages and numerous air strikes by Luanda's ground attack aircraft. In this final assault, which marked the end of Operation 'Hooper', South Africa's final sweep in Angola, the task force lost three men killed while two Ratels and two Olifants were damaged.

South African total casualties in Operations 'Modular' and 'Hooper' amounted to 43 men killed, two Mirage F-1s, one Bosbok light aircraft, three Olifants and four Ratels. But the Cuban toll was heavier: 4,768 men killed, 94 tanks, eight MiG-23s, four MiG-21s and dozens of APCS.

The third battle of Tumpo started on 23 March. Its aim was to clean up the eastern bank of the River Cuito, but this time the objective was well defended. Soon, three Olifants were disabled by mines. Their crews were saved but the MBTs were captured by the Angolans before they could be destroyed. In late May, more than 40,000 Cubans were deployed in Angola, particularly in the south of the country, with 105 MBTs (including T-72s) and one air defence regiment equipped with state of the art SAM anti-aircraft missiles. Soon, three battalions codenamed 'Zebra', 'Tiger' and 'Lion' were deployed some 60km back from the border. Well provided with armour and artillery, each unit numbered 200 Cubans and 200 SWAPO fighters.

Air activity also increased with MiG 21s and -23s roaming freely the South African air space, aware that Pretoria's defence forces lacked the radar and air defence missiles needed to check their high altitude incursions.

LOST CUBAN ONSLAUGHT

This massive build-up clearly indicated that a major assault was in the offing. In an incident, a Cuban foot patrol clashed with SADF soldiers only 12km from the Ruacana dam as in South African 1,000 Citizen Force reservists were hastily called up. On 20 July 1988, a major battle took place between South African forces and three Cuban columns advancing towards the Calueque and Ruacana dams under the protection of SAM-6 air defence missiles. Major Mike Muller's task force was ordered to check them and soon, a storm of fire and steel from G-5 pieces pounded one of the columns. The Cubans lost several vehicles but resolutely pushed on, threatening to outflank Major Muller's men and eventually forcing them to pull out. Major Muller reorganised his forces, deploying his armour in front of the central column. Meanwhile, South African artillery took on the western column and destroyed eight of its vehicles before forcing it to pull out. The South African task force then fell back in good order towards Calueque but came under attack from eight MiG-23s.

By a fluke, one of the aircraft was shot down by an obsolete 20mm gun but 12 soldiers were killed by a bomb. The battle was over. According to African sources, Cuban losses amounted to 300 men.

Magnified out of all proportion by Havana propaganda, this mitigated success enabled Fidel Castro to pull out his forces from Angola without losing face. After tense negotiations in New York, the UN endorsed Resolution 435 which stipulated that Cuban forces were to be deployed above the 13th Parallel on 1 August 1989 while the South African contingent in South West Africa was restricted to 1,500 men.

FINAL FLING

On the eve of the cease-fire, SWAPO launched a last ditch raid. At night, some 300 guerrillas sneaked into South West Africa in blatant disregard of UN directives and soldiers. As the South African soldiers were confined to barracks, the SWAPOs took on and achieved several objectives. A climate of insecurity prevailed until the rebels were flushed out by the 101st SWADF Battalion which had to be reactivated for the occasion. No fewer than 289 rebels had been killed when the sweep ended on 29 April.

However, none of this prevented SWAPO from winning the political victory and from being voted into office as the South African soldiers returned home to a new challenge: the advent of their own democracy.

The red flag will never fly over Cape Town but the price was high: 715 South African soldiers 3 fell in the bush and deserts of South West Africa. (About 1 1,000 Angolans were killed.)

[/i]
Old 07-02-05, 09:39 PM   #2
Ed

Yes sort of - well I was in the Army Cadet Force. I nearly oh so nearly signed up after I left college, I nearly joined the infantry.
Old 07-02-05, 09:49 PM   #3
kinesin

I joined ATC.. but got kicked out...

Oh got kicked out of scouts too..
Old 07-02-05, 09:52 PM   #4
Cloggsy

Ex-RAF
Old 07-02-05, 10:04 PM   #5
Mr Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
Ex-RAF
ex Senior Service old boy
Old 07-02-05, 10:06 PM   #6
snoopy

Was TA for a year but quit last September.
Old 07-02-05, 10:10 PM   #7
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythree
I nearly joined the infantry.
You wanted to be a beetle-crusher?
Old 07-02-05, 10:12 PM   #8
Jp

Im pre milatary!

Joining the RAF after my exams this year
Old 07-02-05, 10:30 PM   #9
Anonymous

was a wren for almost 4 years
Old 07-02-05, 10:32 PM   #10
mysteryjimbo

i thought about joining..........asthma keeps me from doing ANYTHING!