SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-05, 06:31 PM   #1
SPeeeeDY

Default COOMBEST.....Just checked bike and....

I just read the thread about the TPS mod, by Coombest and thought il have a look for this dealer mode connector block.
And guess what i found. The link is already in! but the temp. gague works as normal. How does this happen???
I have only owned the bike about a month, and i can hear a strange tapping when riding and at around 4-7000rpm (may make tapping at higher rpm but i cannot hear it due to end can sound) I took the bike to a suzuki dealer and asked the mechanic to have a listern. he said that it is a dodgey noise, but he doesnt have a clue what it is. At another bikeshop the mechanic also said the smae thing.

Any ideas? and could this link be there to stop the fault showing on the dash????

Please help, i feel like im riding a timebomb waiting to breakdown!

SPeeeeDY
Old 19-04-05, 07:43 PM   #2
Keitht

Hey,

Think you may be looking at the wrong connector block - there is one in there with a black wire that connects 2 terminals, but that's not the dealer mod.

You're looking for a white connector with a black rubberised cover on it that says "Up" on it. Pull this off and you'll see the block with the 2 terminals to connect with a 'dealer tool' to put it into dealer mode.

Can't help with the noise though, sorry.
Old 19-04-05, 07:44 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: COOMBEST.....Just checked bike and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeeeeDY
I took the bike to a suzuki dealer and asked the mechanic to have a listern. he said that it is a dodgey noise, but he doesnt have a clue what it is.
Take is to another dealer

Does the tapping increase with revs ? or is it constant ? Is it a metalic tap or more of a knock or a clunk ?

I am guessing it might be the cam chain tensioner, quite common on the SV

How many miles have you done, Does your bike still have warranty if its new ? if so take it back and keep complaning till they sort it out

I'm not very technical so hopefully somebody else will come along and help you out some more

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-05, 07:54 PM   #4
SPeeeeDY

hey, thanks for that keitht, i have had another look and i have found the connector with the rubber cap on. phew!
And you say the other white connector with the black cable link in normal?

The tapping noise sounds like tappits! (or a noisey drive chain- but coming from the engine) At Dyrons (suzuki dealer) in Leeds i was told a full stripdown would be needed to diagnose the fault and that could take months. They also mentioned that the cam chains are self tentioning on the SV, i dunno wether this is true or not!
At the second shop i went to, Startrights (not a suzuki dealer). They were a lot more helpful, but still they did not know what the problem was. they said to ride it until it breaks and then get it fixed under warantee. But i will need to get my warantee transferred to a suzuki dealers in Leeds, Rather than (kingston or summat like that in Hull) where the bike was purchased new

PS warantee runs out this september

SPeeeeDY
Old 19-04-05, 07:55 PM   #5
SPeeeeDY

the tapping seems to be constant in sound and beat rate
Old 19-04-05, 08:09 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
The tapping noise sounds like tappits! (or a noisey drive chain- but coming from the engine) At Dyrons (suzuki dealer) in Leeds i was told a full stripdown would be needed to diagnose the fault and that could take months.
Sounds like to me they are talking out of their bum instead of mouth

I think the rattling comes from the tensioners that do the adjusting rather than the chain itself

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-05, 08:11 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Surely your warrantee is with Suzuki,not any particular dealer.You take it in to a Suzuki shop and show them the service book and tell them to fix it.
As for the could take months bit,I suggest you sontact Suzuki UK and ask them to sort out their dealers.Dont take any crap off em.
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-05, 08:22 PM   #8
SPeeeeDY

Thats what i was thinking. I drive a new car (FIAT) and an always taking it into the garage for warrantee work doing. I get asked which garage i would preffer to take it to. Although the car keeps breaking, Fiat do give very good customer relations.

I can do basic things to a bike - change tyres, chains, sprockets, handlebars, bodywork, oil etc etc.
Are the cam chain tentioners easy to tighten??? whats involved? Should i take on the job myself or take it to the garage??

Cheers

SPeeeeDY
Old 20-04-05, 09:31 AM   #9
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitht
Hey,

Think you may be looking at the wrong connector block - there is one in there with a black wire that connects 2 terminals, but that's not the dealer mod.

You're looking for a white connector with a black rubberised cover on it that says "Up" on it. Pull this off and you'll see the block with the 2 terminals to connect with a 'dealer tool' to put it into dealer mode.

Can't help with the noise though, sorry.
Yeah - what he said!!

As for the other problem - I'm not sure what this could be. I assume it's not the same noise that most K3s seem to make? Have you listened to your bike next to another K3? They do all seem to make a kind of tapping noise.

As for the warranty - as has already been said, the warranty is with Suzuki, not any particular Suzuki dealer.

The work suggested seems somewhat over the top and in no way should an engine stripdown take months!!
I would suggest that perhaps you find another Suzuki dealer to give your business to and contemplate informing Suzuki of the 'advice' given to you!

HTH
Old 20-04-05, 06:02 PM   #10
Longshotmojo

Quote:
I can do basic things to a bike - change tyres, chains, sprockets, handlebars, bodywork, oil etc etc.
Are the cam chain tentioners easy to tighten??? whats involved? Should i take on the job myself or take it to the garage??
Be carefull with any work you do on the bike yourself as it could invalidate the warranty!