SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-19, 03:55 PM   #31
Othen

Default Re: Removing Exhaust Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Bodge it and ride it.

If it leaks find lots of tunnels to ride through.
See if you are worried about it or something worse when the MOT is looming.

Oil all over the rear tyre is bad, a slightly blowing exhaust on a £600 pony. Up to you.
Old 25-02-19, 04:40 PM   #32
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Glad you got the bolts out! I had one snap years ago. Not fun

Is your oil cooler bent forward, or am I imagining that?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 05:06 PM   #33
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

To be honest, in the middle of my 2 weeks of dealing with my sheared bolt I put it all back together with only one bolt holding it in place and the old gasket left in so I could ride it around to people to see if they could help... and it all worked fine. The bracket was on at an angle with only one bolt holding it, but nothing seemed to be leaking and it ran perfectly. I did the gasket as I'd ordered one, had the dremel with attachments to make it easy to cut out the old one and sand back the corrosion and wanted to just do it all properly as I had it apart. I didn't want to be doing it all again any time soon. Although I will exercise those bolts and maybe remove and regrease them from time to time to make sure they never seize again.

If it was me I'd get the gasket out and a new one in, but you may well be fine without. It was the easiset part of my ordeal.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 05:34 PM   #34
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Glad you got the bolts out! I had one snap years ago. Not fun

Is your oil cooler bent forward, or am I imagining that?
The oil cooler: I was thinking maybe it leans back a bit - it all seems to be properly attached by the two bolts at the top, but I think the new oil pipes are thicker and stiffer than the Suzuki ones. I think that might push the bottom forward a bit? I'll park in on the flat, on the paddock stand some time and check.

Alan
Old 25-02-19, 05:39 PM   #35
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
To be honest, in the middle of my 2 weeks of dealing with my sheared bolt I put it all back together with only one bolt holding it in place and the old gasket left in so I could ride it around to people to see if they could help... and it all worked fine. The bracket was on at an angle with only one bolt holding it, but nothing seemed to be leaking and it ran perfectly. I did the gasket as I'd ordered one, had the dremel with attachments to make it easy to cut out the old one and sand back the corrosion and wanted to just do it all properly as I had it apart. I didn't want to be doing it all again any time soon. Although I will exercise those bolts and maybe remove and regrease them from time to time to make sure they never seize again.

If it was me I'd get the gasket out and a new one in, but you may well be fine without. It was the easiset part of my ordeal.
Thank you for that - I have a feeling it will run perfectly well with the old seal in place and what you have said rather confirms my suspicion. I don't have a Dremmel (I suppose it would be an excuse to acquire one), also I'm just a little bit loath to take any more risks. I've ordered the new seals, so if I have any problems I could probably take the header off in minutes to get them fitted. I'm sort of talking myself into using the old seals.

Like you I was going to crack each of the Allen bolts once a year, and maybe put a smear of copper brake grease on the threads when I put it back together.

Alan
Old 25-02-19, 06:21 PM   #36
maviczap
Mega Poster

The seals are pretty soft and shouldn't be too difficult to remove, even if it's been in there for a while. I just got a thin screwdriver behind it, when I changed mine, a few light taps and a twist and it deformed and then it came out
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 10:45 AM   #37
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
The seals are pretty soft and shouldn't be too difficult to remove, even if it's been in there for a while. I just got a thin screwdriver behind it, when I changed mine, a few light taps and a twist and it deformed and then it came out
The new seals and SS Allen bolts both came in the mail today, so I'll fit the seals before buttoning up the whole thing this afternoon.

Many thanks,

Alan
Old 26-02-19, 05:36 PM   #38
Othen

All done, the new seals and bolts both came in the mail today and the bike is back together:

No leaks and it sounds fine.

I did change the seal, but I was sort of wishing I hadn't bothered half way through, it was hard to get the old one out and lots of cleaning up was required:

... the old one is at the top!

End of this thread I think, many thanks for your contributions.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 26-02-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 28-02-19, 09:36 AM   #39
Othen

... to round off this thread:

That is all the work I'd intended to do on this project bike, it now stops, starts, runs, keeps the water and oil inside the engine and the exhaust gas inside the muffler. I'll tax if from 1 April and enjoy it for a while. I think it came out quite well for a £900 bike:

Last edited by Othen; 28-02-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 28-02-19, 10:17 AM   #40
shiftin_gear98

Of course it did, it's a Pointy.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote