SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-13, 05:42 PM   #1
Galviniser

Question Triumph Tiger Misfire-Very Strange, Help Please

Hey guys, just in need of your expertise, im guessing something electrical but tell me what you think, its a tiger 900 carb model 1998

MY HAND IS ABSOLUTELY STILL ON THE THROTTEL

http://youtu.be/q7czqIPt8Vc
Old 25-03-13, 06:05 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph Tiger Misfire-Very Strange, Help Please

always liked these bikes, work on one every now and then, first off start the bike from cold, with you hand (obviously before it gets hot) see if you can feel if one of the cylinders is heating slower than the others.

This should indicate which cylinder is causing the issue remove that plug and test it's sparking correctly, if it is the that cylinders carb probably needs a clean and has water in it ((have you run the tank down to reserve recently ?), if the spark is intermittent check the plug (swap in with one of the others) and then the coil pack and HT lead; don't forget to check the coil feed wires (these have a separate coil pack to the later integrated ones).

HTH

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-13, 06:43 PM   #3
jonpe69

I had a Daytona once that had a funny misfire issue that turned out to be the coil pack. I was told they are a weak point on Triumphs due to their position.
Old 25-03-13, 06:49 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpe69 View Post
I had a Daytona once that had a funny misfire issue that turned out to be the coil pack. I was told they are a weak point on Triumphs due to their position.
the 900 tiger is separate coils and HT lead/plug cap, unlike the 955i lumps (99 onwards) which had the coil pack as part of the plug cap so no HT leads, personally I've had nearly 700,000 miles on the integrated coil packs (over 7 bikes) and never had to replace one myself, exactly how weak is that ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote