SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-05-07, 01:55 PM   #1
jamesnolan

Default Ticking Noise in engine

I have a 55reg naked sv650 with 2600miles on the clock. I bought it a few months ago with 2000 miles on it. I noticed this morning it has started making a slight ticking noise - a bit like noisy tappets on car. Looking through the little window to check the oil level it looks absolutely fine except the oil maybe looks a bit dark. Do I just need to give it an oil change? At only 2600 miles? I thought the service interval was 4000miles. And anyway the dealership I bought the bike from (George White in Swindon) said they'd serviced it before I bought it which I assumed meant they changed the oil.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

James
Old 21-05-07, 02:19 PM   #2
Samnooshka

Default Re: Ticking Noise in engine

ok, not giving advice as i know jack about the engine parts, but my K5 sv does the same sound, but have been reassured that its a normal noise.

Maybe give people an idea of where you think the noise is coming from around the engine, high or low what side? when does it happen? at what rev range? it could be all sorts of things... Rigor had a ticking coming from his bike but it was just a loose bolt that vibed at certain rev ranges.

As for the oil, wouldn't it depend what oil they used different brands go black quicker i don't know lol, but oil burns, hence why it goes black and doesn't stay honey coloured for long. Also depends how you ride the bike as well i think but i could be talking gibberish, someone will be along soon to advise.

I would also do a search on the forum and see if you can find out what it is, but without actually seeing the bike people can only advise what the problem is.

(hope i made some sense)
Old 21-05-07, 06:00 PM   #3
stuartyboy

fit a new loud can...you won't here the ticking after that
Old 21-05-07, 06:23 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

It's probably just engine noise mate. I used to be like this all the time. Was convinced there was always some sinister noise going on, was always a great excuse to get a new bike though. Now that I've bought a Honda I no longer need to worry about reliability problems............

Listen to another bike of similar age and see if that one does it.
Old 21-05-07, 06:50 PM   #5
stuartyboy

I was serious earlier...my k6 sounded like a sewing machine...I fitted a fuel can it disappeared. No idea if this is the same sound or not though
Old 21-05-07, 07:44 PM   #6
thebluelion

2000 curvy here ticking noise started in mine about 9 months ago took it to shop was told it was one of the camchain tensioner so got it replaced and restrictor remove at same time any hows noise stopped for about a month then came back this time mech said it was just the tappets slight gap not to worry so i haven't.

Bike is still going ok no problems
Old 21-05-07, 10:00 PM   #7
gettin2dizzy

my k6 ticks enough for me to still worry!
Old 22-05-07, 04:46 AM   #8
danf1234

Yep my K6 ticks as well, not that I can hear it when I Remus begins to roar.
Old 22-05-07, 08:06 AM   #9
DoubleD

I can no longer here the tick on my K4 after my blueflame got made into stuby
Old 22-05-07, 08:53 AM   #10
jamesnolan

Cheers everyone. It looks like I should... a) Not Worry and b) Get a Loud can. Thanks for your advice.