SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 05-01-08, 10:43 AM   #11
Biker_Billy

Default Re: Riding to Limoges, France

Thanks mate - think I am settled on taking the over nighter from Plymouth.

I'll have a good look at the aerial shots of the roads, and see if I can find any twisty ones.

If anyone has any suggestions, please post them up...thanks!

Billy.
Old 05-01-08, 10:57 AM   #12
mattSV
Mega Poster

Another couple of options for you:-

Portsmouth to St Malo - drops you at the foot of the Cherbourg Peninsula, saves you around 90 miles I think compared with going to Cherbourg/Caen

Poole to Cherbourg - will save you around 45mins on the journey to Portsmouth

We usually do a night crossing from Portsmouth or Poole so we can get a bit of kip and then set of from the ports first thing in the morning

If I was you, I would do the Plymouth - Roscoff option as it means less time travelling on the sh!tty UK roads. The roads in NW France aren't quite as good as in the south or over by the Alps but they are still miles better than most roads in the UK - I would pick a route down the west coast avoiding the autoroutes and spend the fuel money saved by not going via Dover/Calais on playing on some of the D roads
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 12:06 PM   #13
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV View Post
Another couple of options for you:-

Portsmouth to St Malo - drops you at the foot of the Cherbourg Peninsula, saves you around 90 miles I think compared with going to Cherbourg/Caen

Poole to Cherbourg - will save you around 45mins on the journey to Portsmouth

We usually do a night crossing from Portsmouth or Poole so we can get a bit of kip and then set of from the ports first thing in the morning

If I was you, I would do the Plymouth - Roscoff option as it means less time travelling on the sh!tty UK roads. The roads in NW France aren't quite as good as in the south or over by the Alps but they are still miles better than most roads in the UK - I would pick a route down the west coast avoiding the autoroutes and spend the fuel money saved by not going via Dover/Calais on playing on some of the D roads
yup +1
Old 02-02-08, 11:49 AM   #14
Xan173

Hi Bill,

There's even another option. Brittany Ferries have launched a new high speed ferry on the Plymouth to Santander route. I checked for a price in late may and it was £188 return (rider, bike and recliner).

The distance to Limoges is a little less than from Roscoff by the fastest route (which you were never going to take anyway). But this would give you the option of going via one of two national regional parc areas 1). Gascogne to Bordeaux or, if you feel adventurous, across the western edge of the Pyrenees.

In any case, probably better roads going south to north.

Only reason I know is because I have been researching visiting my fathers farmhouse which sort of Toulouse way.
Old 02-02-08, 06:46 PM   #15
Biker_Billy

Thanks Alex, didn't know about that - and tbh, after going on those roads in a motorhome in 2006 I totally agree.

Would rather get the ferry to santander, but the time had put me off. I'll have a look into it..

How was Utah btw? Oh, and when are you gonna get your sorry a** on RB6 for a whupping?
Old 02-02-08, 06:58 PM   #16
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan173 View Post
Hi Bill,

There's even another option. Brittany Ferries have launched a new high speed ferry on the Plymouth to Santander route. I checked for a price in late may and it was ?188 return (rider, bike and recliner).

The distance to Limoges is a little less than from Roscoff by the fastest route (which you were never going to take anyway). But this would give you the option of going via one of two national regional parc areas 1). Gascogne to Bordeaux or, if you feel adventurous, across the western edge of the Pyrenees.

In any case, probably better roads going south to north.

Only reason I know is because I have been researching visiting my fathers farmhouse which sort of Toulouse way.
The pont avon was launched in 2004. Takes just under 24 hours. I have booked that for our return leg on the 2nd June. I booked a cabin. Just having somewhere to get away from the madding crown is worth the cost..
Old 03-02-08, 12:43 AM   #17
Xan173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Billy View Post
when are you gonna get your sorry a** on RB6 for a whupping?
On there now, unlike yo sorry azz
Old 03-02-08, 08:41 AM   #18
Biker_Billy

Ha...I know how sad was that...in bed by 10 on a Sat night...must remember not to have 4 cans whilst watching the rugby in an afternoon!

Mind you, been up since 7 - cant sleep now! Normally have a good ol lie in till 11 on a Sunday...

I'll try to get on later tho