SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-09, 01:04 PM   #1
AndyBrad

Default Helmet too big?

Ok i took the bike out yesterday and did a quick junction on the private road thats very similar to a motorway. Anyways ive had my hair trimed since i was last on the bike and at m way speeds it felt like it was going to crush my head. I pulled over and tried again with it very tight and it was better but it still feels not as snug as when i last had it on.

Ive only had it for 7 months and it was very very tight when i got it. Any advice appart from getting a new one? Im feeling a bit mifed tbh.

its a shoei raid 2 btw.

Also my chin gets cold. Any tips on stopping that? Lits like a jet of cold air at my bottom lip. Not very comfy
Old 16-02-09, 01:09 PM   #2
Holdup

Default Re: Helmet too big?

Try twisting it left to right on your head, too much movement to big. Also push the helmet away from your forehead and see if you can get your hand up in front of your forehead (you maybe able to but u dont want too to much) another thing go to a shoei dealer and ask if you can try some bigger cheek pads in it, im sure they will let you, as for your chin get a buff or some other sort of neck cheif
Old 16-02-09, 01:11 PM   #3
Tomtoms

As for your chin getting cold, i use one of the neck warmer thingys (doesnt have to be an expensive Buff one!) over my mouth and nose under my helmet. Takes the edge off from the wind chill.
Old 16-02-09, 01:13 PM   #4
Tomtoms

forgot to say....when your helmet is on, if you open your mouth and close it again....do you end up biting the inside of your cheeks a little bit? if so it should be generally a fairly good fit.
Old 16-02-09, 01:13 PM   #5
Holdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtoms View Post
As for your chin getting cold, i use one of the neck warmer thingys (doesnt have to be an expensive Buff one!) over my mouth and nose under my helmet. Takes the edge off from the wind chill.
that may also make your helmet feel tighter it does with me
Old 16-02-09, 04:27 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I use an arab scarf, nice and snug, and warm, but for particularly chilly weather (like next weeks ride) I have a 'windstopper' neck tube..expensive, but stops draughts dead

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/neck-...eck-warmer.htm

edit, mine is very similar to the frank thomas one shown in the bottom of this article

oo ebay, but not cheap,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ANTI-FREEZ...em260320065102

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 16-02-09 at 04:38 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-09, 05:03 PM   #7
FG1

Andy, I'll sell you a helmet at a good price till your hair grows....
Old 16-02-09, 05:20 PM   #8
Magnum

I have the same helmet. The helmet does seem to reveal the chin a lot, i just pull the helmet down more so it covers my chin. I went out for a long ride the other day and didn't have a problem, but if i did then i'd buy a scarf thing (there were a bunch of them reviewed in Ride magazine, like buff ones).
Old 16-02-09, 09:51 PM   #9
monkey

You could always try washing the lining to see if it puffs out a bit.

EDIT:Whoops! I didn't read that you'd said what lid it was for.

Last edited by monkey; 17-02-09 at 06:15 PM.
Old 17-02-09, 12:59 PM   #10
vardypeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
Ok i took the bike out yesterday and did a quick junction on the private road thats very similar to a motorway. Anyways ive had my hair trimed since i was last on the bike and at m way speeds it felt like it was going to crush my head. I pulled over and tried again with it very tight and it was better but it still feels not as snug as when i last had it on.

Ive only had it for 7 months and it was very very tight when i got it. Any advice appart from getting a new one? Im feeling a bit mifed tbh.

its a shoei raid 2 btw.

Also my chin gets cold. Any tips on stopping that? Lits like a jet of cold air at my bottom lip. Not very comfy
Sounds like it might be a little too big. I had an AGV one for just under a year and it seemed to get very loose and squash my face at higher speeds.
Replaced that now with a Roof Diversion and it's great and quieter.
As for your chin use one of those neck things like mentioned above or close your mouth vents?