SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-11-14, 02:32 PM   #891
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

To many close calls with car drivers today whilst out on my pushbike, not least the one who failed to stop at a roundabout.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 12:53 PM   #892
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
To many close calls with car drivers today whilst out on my pushbike, not least the one who failed to stop at a roundabout.
On the flip side is the cyclist in Hatfield this morning who did not want to lose momentum/stop and rode onto a roundabout straight in front of me. Lucky for him I saw him coming and anticipated, even though he was dressed entirely in black, in the dark, with no effective lights. I'm not trying to tar all cyclists here but just as with all other road users you always get a few.
Old 11-11-14, 01:15 PM   #893
Amadeus

Being an accidental landlord.

We moved out, just after new kitchen, appliances, carpets, painted throughout. Was like a new house.
Tenants now moving out (after 2 years). Stains on carpet, writing on walls, cobwebs on ceiling. They're claiming fair wear and tear and not to expect it back to brand new.
I thought the house smelt of animals (no pets clause). They denied it. Then some post came through for them including one from PetStore saying "Regarding your pet"... They admitted having a tortoise and father in law bringing a dog around sometimes.
They then say that they should get all their deposit back because they'd not signed a tenancy agreement. The agency we'd started the lease through got bought, the new new owners said yes, they had not asked tenants to sign lease.
I'm sure it'll all get sorted and hopefully won't be too out of pocket but man, what's the point of having a management company if they don't manage!
Old 11-11-14, 01:29 PM   #894
ophic
Mega Poster

Off to the DPS for you then! Or perhaps your agent should do this.
Old 11-11-14, 02:03 PM   #895
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
On the flip side is the cyclist in Hatfield this morning who did not want to lose momentum/stop and rode onto a roundabout straight in front of me. Lucky for him I saw him coming and anticipated, even though he was dressed entirely in black, in the dark, with no effective lights. I'm not trying to tar all cyclists here but just as with all other road users you always get a few.
You have my complete support to knock ****s like that off Sir Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Being an accidental landlord.

We moved out, just after new kitchen, appliances, carpets, painted throughout. Was like a new house.
Tenants now moving out (after 2 years). Stains on carpet, writing on walls, cobwebs on ceiling. They're claiming fair wear and tear and not to expect it back to brand new.
I thought the house smelt of animals (no pets clause). They denied it. Then some post came through for them including one from PetStore saying "Regarding your pet"... They admitted having a tortoise and father in law bringing a dog around sometimes.
They then say that they should get all their deposit back because they'd not signed a tenancy agreement. The agency we'd started the lease through got bought, the new new owners said yes, they had not asked tenants to sign lease.
I'm sure it'll all get sorted and hopefully won't be too out of pocket but man, what's the point of having a management company if they don't manage!
That's crap, although I remember watching a Tv Prog about landlords & rental properties, and they way the tennants treat the properties, so I'm not suprised you've had these issues. I hope it gets sorted out soon
Old 11-11-14, 02:32 PM   #896
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
That's crap, although I remember watching a Tv Prog about landlords & rental properties, and they way the tennants treat the properties, so I'm not suprised you've had these issues. I hope it gets sorted out soon
Does go both ways. We rented a place for 3 years and looked after it as if it was our own. It was cleaner and nicer by far when we left it than when we moved in.

The landlord still tried to keep £1200 of our deposit. The DPS pushed that down to £400 based on what evidence could be provided but even that wasn't really fair.

This is despite any issues we had taking months to be fixed during our tenancy. Things like the fridge breaking in the middle of summer.

I'm a landlord myself and I never treat my tenants this way. The last time a washing machine broke it was replaced within 2 days. This tenant has young children.

People just see dollar signs in their eyes and try it on, rather than trying to be decent human beings.
Old 11-11-14, 02:56 PM   #897
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yes, being a decent human being seems to have gone out of fashion these days
Old 11-11-14, 05:07 PM   #898
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

All the reasons why I WON'T rent out my house, even though I'm having trouble selling and it seems so appealing to those who mention it as a solution. I couldn't do with the upset if a tenancy wasn't a good one.

I have pets, my house is spotless. However, not everyone is as OCD about their house not stinking of animals. I wouldn't rent my house out to pet owners, even though I have them myself.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 05:12 PM   #899
ophic
Mega Poster

Wrong attitude. If you sold it the house wouldn't be yours anymore. You've got to arrive at the same mental position if you let it out to be rented, ie it's no longer where you live. It's now a financial investment not a home. To you, anyway. Obviously it'll be someone's home.

Difficult change though, admittedly.
Old 11-11-14, 05:21 PM   #900
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Wrong attitude. If you sold it the house wouldn't be yours anymore. You've got to arrive at the same mental position if you let it out to be rented, ie it's no longer where you live. It's now a financial investment not a home. To you, anyway. Obviously it'll be someone's home.

Difficult change though, admittedly.

Precisely the point, I don't want the house anymore. I won't be returning to it once I've left!
I don't want to be responsible for others living in something I own. Sure, wear and tear is fine and to be expected, but I've seen some private tenant nightmares from both friends who have rented out their houses, and also the private rents on the street which have been gutted when a bad tenant moves out. Don't want to be spending my money on somebody elses bad habits. Not willing to take the risks.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote