SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-07-17, 06:06 AM   #41
andy650

Default Re: Clutch advice

You do not have to use the clutch for upshifts. Downshifts neither if really careful.

It is all about throttle control, engine speed and timing.

I often do not use the clutch for upshifts, never had a problem on any bike in 30 years (big miles on some of them)

Last edited by andy650; 01-07-17 at 06:07 AM.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 07:02 AM   #42
Hapo

...I have more trouble with the other hand any how...

...I try to put most of the pressure on the heel of my hand and not be grabbing at the throttle...I don't mean to just lean on your hand here...we are talking modulation n' ****...

...you don't want to be grabbing at the grips anyway, but I digress...(http://www.labusas.org/forum/showthr...14#post3005514)

...the point is to vary the points of stress and never let your self get locked into a position...

...pump the blood through you with isometric type movement during the whole of your ride...don't let fatigue toxins build up in the most vuneable areas and inflammation flare from locked joints under pressure...that's icky...

...it is not excatly yoga but you are sort of after the same goal here...

Last edited by Hapo; 01-07-17 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 07:07 AM   #43
Hapo

...hey...I tink I figgered our yer problem...!!!...yer not doin' it rite...!!!...(grin)
Old 01-07-17, 07:45 AM   #44
Red ones
Mega Poster

... Isometric.... Fatigue toxins.... Yoga....?

....I think.... There's something..... Wrong..... Here.....

... Your... Keyboard.... Has a sticky... Button....
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 08:55 AM   #45
Hapo

...learn to ride, bro...do you just sit on the bike...?!?...

...yoga and isometrics are a big part of any good rider's routein, imho...

...without elements of both in my life, my riding days would be long behind me...

...you sound like some ingorent child with a closed mind here...imho...

...fwiw, my keys are not the stuck parts...
Old 02-07-17, 12:06 PM   #46
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
Its just a pointy pos anyway, bring it to me Jayne and i'll give it the old yeller treatment

xGx
You Sir are a menace and will be spanked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
shorter lever is not the answer as it takes more effort to pull. if you want to only use 2-3 fingers then move the lever down the bar that way you still have the leverage but only using the end of the lever.
I am going to look at experimenting with this over the coming week. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Here's an alternative solution, but its pretty expensive... http://efmautoclutch.com/

There's lots of info about control modifications at the N.A.B.D. website: http://www.nabd.org.uk/
That is interesting, thanks. I had also completely forgotten about the N.A.B.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
I think you should bite the bullet and get an automatic bike. I know you said finances are tough at the moment, but it's that or essentially give up biking (by the sounds of it).

I had a VFR1200 for a while, wasn't for me in all honesty but it was a wonderful bike.
I always loved VFRs, for a while they were my dream bike and then I tried a fairly new 800cc one at my local Fowlers... I was bitterly disappointed. My body just did not fit on the bike and I could not get comfortable even for a minute. I knew why we should never meet our heroes, this is also why I have never sat on a Fireblade.

I have spent many months of effort getting my bike just how I want it, I love how the bike is great fun even at only thirty MPH. This is just one more challenge to sort out and I will find an answer that works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 12:47 PM   #47
Geodude
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
You Sir are a menace and will be spanked!
I totally agree

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 03:42 PM   #48
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Well apart from the multiple catastrophic engine failures necessitating total engine swaps http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/n...alls-vfr1200f/

And the drive shaft failures which resulted in a VOSA recall: http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...k&tx=0.3913538

Honda badge is absolutely no guarantee of reliability, quite the reverse.
Never buy an early example of any new model of Honda motorbike, always give it at least two years.
Well, mine had over 70k on the clock, it has the shaft recall done.

Just because you read something on the internet once does not mean it's a global, widespread phenomenon that is guaranteed to happen. There was a handful of engine failure reported.

I wonder how many SV engines have failed over the years, I'll have a check and make sure to tell everyone I meet that they shouldn't buy an SV because of it.
Old 02-07-17, 03:55 PM   #49
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Well, mine had over 70k on the clock, it has the shaft recall done.

Just because you read something on the internet once does not mean it's a global, widespread phenomenon that is guaranteed to happen. There was a handful of engine failure reported.

I wonder how many SV engines have failed over the years, I'll have a check and make sure to tell everyone I meet that they shouldn't buy an SV because of it.
+10

I have had quite a few Honda cars - never a minutes problem with them, my 3 brothers also had various Honda bikes and at present 2 have CBR600's and other one a VFR750 - all good, no problems.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 04:38 PM   #50
Mega Poster

Honda's most niggling problem on older bikes is the RR, always an easy fix. Honda don't make their RR's...most manufacturers source them from elsewhere, in fact. I believe the Suzuki range of bikes may of had RR issues in the past as well. Let's never buy bikes.

My VFR750 is 24 years old, fair enough - it's only got about 26k on the clock, but I know that if I turn the key, it's going to fire. I never feel quite so confident in the Yamaha's or Suzuki's that I've owned, that's for sure.