SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-04-05, 05:22 PM   #1
snoopy

Default How long do brake hoses last?

I'm still trying to fix the front brake. It's very close but not quite right. bit spongy. The hoses are 5 years old. Should they be replaced?

On another note, if full braking power (front only) is applied on the curvy at around 30/40mph should the back start to come up, given standard calipers, hoses and pads?

Andy.
Old 23-04-05, 05:33 PM   #2
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'm still trying to fix the front brake. It's very close but not quite right. bit spongy. The hoses are 5 years old. Should they be replaced?
Yes, however that may not solve it completely

Quote:
On another note, if full braking power (front only) is applied on the curvy at around 30/40mph should the back start to come up, given standard calipers, hoses and pads?
That will depend on other factors aswell e.g. - road/front tyre conditions, rider weight and position.

If you were to GRAB the front brake (i.e. much harder than you would for a 'normal' emergency stop) at 30/40 mph, given the right combination of the above, then it would be enough to lift the rear - however I would not recommend using that as an indicator of whether or not your brakes are working properly!
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-05, 05:36 PM   #3
sprocket

Dont know if this helps but the manual says you should change the brake hoses every 4 years ...
Old 24-04-05, 02:09 AM   #4
trick

the reason hoses dont last that long is because every time you squeeze the lever the pressure inside the hose pushes against the inside of the hose forcing it to be slightly wider. all of these 'pressure pulses' cause the walls of the hose to become weaker and they expand more with each brake pump. this means that you will need more fluid per brake and therefore loose power. well not loose power but lose brakeing efficiency and will need to move the brake lever more to achieve the same stopping force. this is what is giving you that spongey feeling you were talking about.
also, if your pads are worn down quite a bit that too will mean you will have to squeeze further on the lever.
also, clean your calipers and make sure there is no crud preventing the pistons moving as this too will mean that you have to push the piston against the crud and brake pad and could make it feel spongey.

to slove this problem i suggest topping up your brake fluid, cleaning your pads and caliper assembly, and upgrading to a full steel braided brake hose system, and possibly getting some EBCdouble HH brake pads, thats hat ive got and they bloody excellent

hope this helps

TRICK
Old 24-04-05, 02:10 AM   #5
trick

ah crap forgot, also check you levers for play and adjustment as well, that could help you out too

TRICK
Old 24-04-05, 09:33 AM   #6
snoopy

Thanks, I forgot I'm already running EBCdouble HH brake pads. Have just purchased a set of EAL lines. Roll on good brakes...

Andy.
Old 24-04-05, 09:37 AM   #7
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcharnley
Thanks, I forgot I'm already running EBCdouble HH brake pads. Have just purchased a set of EAL lines. Roll on good brakes...
Andy.
Shouldn't that read Roll on with Bad Brakes, Stop...With Good Brakes
Old 25-04-05, 12:33 PM   #8
GSXR Carlos

what lines?
what set up, i beleive there's all sorts of lines and kits to go for
Mine's a 2001 curvy btw
Old 25-04-05, 01:37 PM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick
also, if your pads are worn down quite a bit that too will mean you will have to squeeze further on the lever.
No.
Old 25-04-05, 07:48 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

What Squirrel said...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote