SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-06-12, 09:56 AM   #1
grimey121uk

Default OEM vs replacement tyres?

Just out of curiosity does anyone know the difference in retail and OEM tyres, more specifically the BT016.

Iv'e just had a new rear BT016 Pro fitted and was curious to find out the difference between the retail BT016 and the OEM one labelled as "BT016 EE".
I would expect the OEM to be a lesser tyre?
Old 22-06-12, 03:18 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: OEM vs replacement tyres?

Lesser how?

When manufacturers specify a tyre they often have some input into the exact version that goes on to any given new bike. i.e. exact profiles etc. Sometimes the difference is significant, mostly it's noticeable but no more.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-12, 04:04 PM   #3
grimey121uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Lesser how?

When manufacturers specify a tyre they often have some input into the exact version that goes on to any given new bike. i.e. exact profiles etc. Sometimes the difference is significant, mostly it's noticeable but no more.
Well they do a version of the BT016, the BT016 CC which is a single compound tyre. So they say
Old 22-06-12, 04:20 PM   #4
Spank86

Smaller tread depth perhaps?
Old 22-06-12, 04:26 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Lesser how?

Is it a myth, manufacturers strike up deals with tyre manufacturers to kit out their bikes working out very affordably for the bike manufacturers? And presumably if the tyre maker isn't quite happy with the deal they may scrimp a bit on the version.
Old 22-06-12, 07:52 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Traditionally with OEM tyres and the japanese, they need to produce them very close to the factories (guaranteeing supply) so they make a OEM spec tyre the factory want (hence the shocking D220's and Mez4's to an extent) or a varient of a produced tyre BT016 EE in this case and BT017's.

The buzz one is the Bridgestone S20 on the Supersports and superbikes at present

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-12, 12:13 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Is it a myth, manufacturers strike up deals with tyre manufacturers to kit out their bikes working out very affordably for the bike manufacturers? And presumably if the tyre maker isn't quite happy with the deal they may scrimp a bit on the version.
I've not had much to do with that part of the business for some time, but I've never heard of that before you suggested it, I imagine that there is some quite careful deal making done when supplying tyres as OE - the manufacturer is going to want a lot of tyres and if I were buying in those numbers I'd expect to get them at a keen price, and if I found the shiny new bikes I wanted to sell were underperforming due to substandard rubber I don't think I'd be specifying tyres from that maker again any time soon.
There are some quite specific tyres for some bikes, those being the ones they come out of the factory with obviously. Of the ones I know about they certainly wouldn't have been a cheaper option, as they were subtly, but in testing and development terms I would have thought quite expensively, different from the ones you'll find as typical replacements in tyre shops, some OE fitment tyres could be got through tyre suppliers, but some others were only easily found at dealers.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-12, 04:12 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

interesting. Just something you hear and I'm sure I'd also heard the SV standard rubber was awful which made me wonder. But new bikes aren't my thing so really wouldn't know first hand!
Old 23-06-12, 07:52 PM   #9
grimey121uk

I read a review of a bike in a mag or in mcn, can't remember and they said that the stock Bridgestone S20's were crap compared to the off the shelf ones?