SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-19, 02:46 PM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Proper preparation prevents .....

Just been to Sainsbury's to get some food, and there was a bloke at the entrance to the car park tinkering with a very nice-looking Gold Star in scrambler trim.

I went over to find out what was wrong and offer to help. Turns out the bike runs fine on the open road but has a habit of sooting up the spark plug in town (typical highly-tuned big Brit single).

I asked if he had a plug spanner or a spare plug: "No, but my wife's on her way."

Now, we've all been caught out at some point by unexpected breakdowns, you can't predict everything. But if you had a temperamental bike that regularly soots its plug, wouldn't you carry a spare plug and a plug box with you? He even had a bum-bag with tools in it.

I used to carry a set of 3 spare plugs on my GT380 ... and of course it never ever fouled a plug ....

Last edited by Craig380; 07-04-19 at 02:47 PM.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-19, 05:36 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Proper preparation prevents .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I used to carry a set of 3 spare plugs on my GT380 ... and of course it never ever fouled a plug ....
Same here.Even if my SV is in super good nick I keep a good list of stuff under my rear seat just in case.

Pair of new spare plugs.
Factory toolkit with added 10/12mm box spanners.
Cig lighter plus a bit of electrical wire.Small electrical screwdriver and short strip of
connecting block.

Piece of card(With double sided tape ready) to stick to Rad for changing plugs

One each of fuses needed.
Tube of Super glue and a few plasters for cuts.
Spare Clutch cable and A-Pull Throttle cable.
Puncture plugging kit.
Couple of pairs of Nitrile disposable gloves.

I helped a guy last year who had broken down and was about to call Breakdown.Luckily it was just a blown fuse and one of mine fitted

I can't remember off hand the fuse sizes but bought a box from Halfrauds
Old 07-04-19, 07:13 PM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cable ties. Gaffa tape wrapped around a pen. Puncture plug kit and 4 large co2 canisters. D-lock (Kryptonite "NY Fahgeddaboudit", big enough to go through the front wheel and discs). Usb port that plugs into some tails I have coming from the battery (normally blanked off). Leather man. Nitrile gloves. Standard tool kit in the tool compartment.

You can fit a surprising amount under the pillion seat if it's packed in right!

No doubt if I ever need something it'll be something I don't have.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-19, 06:31 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The "tool kit" on my T100 is.... an allen key. That's it! I really ought to carry a few things just in case but as most of it is electronic now I doubt I'd be able to do much at the side of the road in any case. With tubed tires there no point in a puncture repair kit even.
Old 08-04-19, 07:47 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Binned most of mobile tool kit when I started buying Jap bikes, just the little manufacturers supplied kit with a few spanners and screwdriver in it and a few fuses, small set of Allen keys on a keyring and like adam a stop-n-go tyre plugger kit with 4 Co2 cartridges - I reckon that unless you fall off or run out of petrol a puncture is most likely problem on a bike that is looked after and no amount of preventative TLC can prevent that...

In winter when not using the SV I will put tyre plugger kit in car glove box.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-04-19 at 07:51 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-19, 08:32 PM   #6
zsv650s

When I had my 2 stroke I always kept a spare spark plug in my tool kit under the seat they do not like town riding especially if you don't get chance to give it a good ragging.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote