SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-10-15, 02:56 PM   #1
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Are the Days of Diesel numbered?

What with all this VW malarkey, and im sure other manufacturers will be found out as well, and the fact that people have been banging on about Diesel emissions for a while, are Diesel cars/vehicles days numbered?

Discuss?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 03:18 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Are the Days of Diesel numbered?

All I can say right now is that I'm glad I leased my new car, it's their problem not mine - whatever the upshot of the investigations are!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 03:36 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Not for HGV's, but for short trip family cars yes. I won't be replacing mine with a diesel.

To keep my EGR valve clean & stop it going into limp mode, I have to use a concoction of chemicals as fuel additives, that's not good for the environment & not cheap on my pocket.

High mileage rep cars, probably not?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 03:40 PM   #4
Bluepete
Mega Poster

And I own a 2.0l VAG diesel!

Pete; )
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 03:53 PM   #5
TamSV
Mega Poster

If the result is to properly tighten up on the testing, manufacturers are faced with the problem of actually meeting the current emissions requirements, combined with good MPG, wrapped up in a small and relatively cheap car (i.e. all the reasons why diesels are so popular in Europe) then I wonder if we might actually find that's not technically possible. Then we find out petrol's not so great either because they've been gaming the emissions and MPG results there too.

All the car manufacturers have to write off 20 years of research betting on diesel, go bust and get taken over by the only people with enough money to do it - Google.

We're all then in self-driving electric/hybrid vehicles. After a while, it transpires that all the problems and accidents on the roads are caused by humans. Huge outcry by Joe Public and all driver controlled cars and bikes are banned.

The machines eventually become sentient and, connected to each other by the internet of things, decide to rise up and kill us all.

Happy now VW? Eh? Eh?

#TINFOILHAT
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 04:10 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

To keep my EGR valve clean & stop it going into limp mode, I have to use a concoction of chemicals as fuel additives, that's not good for the environment & not cheap on my pocket.
nope. you just need to drive them properly. if your doing town driving you need to kick the shizz out of them. a diesel needs to get up to temp fast or it wont burn properly so you rev the titzz it them till they are up to temp then you can back off. well thats what i was always told.

like a 2t if you ride them under the PB all the time you will clog them up which results in blowing them up. you need to keep a t2 on song.

i love my 1.6 diesel yeti that averages 55mpg jumping around the town on short trips, 60+mpg on long runs and has the power to overtake unlike the 1.2 petrol that cant pull the skin off a rice pudding
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 04:13 PM   #7
Trev B

Ok they might have fiddled the figures,but BIG business has always done it,it's called marketing,from the healthiness of a loaf of bread to the amount of horse in a beef/horse burger,where ever there is money there's a fiddle of one sort or another,North sea gas was going to be free as it was a byproduct of the oil industry, gas was the new coal and now look at you bills,and now Nuclear is the way to go (doesn't matter who builds or funds it),fracking is good for you now,and your going to get it no matter how much you object,diesel was better for the environment that petrol,that wasn't VW,that was the British Government 20 odd years ago,Sorry to say it,but just get on with your own lives,only believe half of what you see and even less of what you read or hear!!!
Old 02-10-15, 04:23 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev B View Post
Ok they might have fiddled the figures,but BIG business has always done it,it's called marketing,from the healthiness of a loaf of bread to the amount of horse in a beef/horse burger,where ever there is money there's a fiddle of one sort or another,North sea gas was going to be free as it was a byproduct of the oil industry, gas was the new coal and now look at you bills,and now Nuclear is the way to go (doesn't matter who builds or funds it),fracking is good for you now,and your going to get it no matter how much you object,diesel was better for the environment that petrol,that wasn't VW,that was the British Government 20 odd years ago,Sorry to say it,but just get on with your own lives,only believe half of what you see and even less of what you read or hear!!!

never mind the 10p a ltr that Thatcher put on petrol and said she would do away with the road tax.. 10p went on the petrol but.....

last week the Diesel was 2p a ltr cheaper than the petrol at my local.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 08:14 PM   #9
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Don't think it will come to much really, I've been ignoring it mostly as it comes across as more media clap trap crap. I'm fairly sure that our emission tests for diesels are totally different from the US tests and that's purely because they have a bigger pollution problem in their cities that we do (or did), We test smog density rather than what's in the smog. Technically speaking VAG motors in this country shouldn't be effected by this development as I'm fairly sure a modern diesel would still come under the smog density limit anyway, so in reality it would probably just mean the tax band going up, then everyone can sue the **** out of VW.

Don't think any of the others have done any fiddling as it would have come out by now, everyone would be loving to bring down BMW and Mercedes as they seem to be highlighting this problem with Audi out of all the VW group. I'm fairly sure I read years ago that peugeot have been doing something similar since about 2002.

Hi from a long time reader first time poster........... not been on here for ages.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 10:20 AM   #10
Luckypants
Mega Poster

IMHO - buy a diesel for what it is good at and short town trips ain't it. Longer trips and light throttle openings is where they excel. Bibs is right you need your diesel to get up to temp to work properly.

The French have a massive problem with pollution in Paris and they are talking of banning diesel cars from the city. The French love their diesels but they are just not suited to town traffic.

I love my 1.6 VAG group diesel (Seat Leon) because it drives well, is very economical and has loads of torque to handle the hills here with ease. It works because every trip is at least 5 miles and she gets up to temp. But if the value plummets because it's a VAG diesel, it's OK - see my previous post!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote