SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-11, 01:07 AM   #1
McFly

Default SV1000 vs. SV650 Weight/Balance Opinions?

Nice dilemma to have but need some advice please.

Just sold my lovely Curvy 650s K2 as my back/wrists/knees were never happy with it and had set my mind on another 650. Had lots of mad ideas from doing a project on a late Curvy naked to buying a 60-plate Gladius (which is still for sale at a garage for only £3500!) and doing some upgrades to 'man' it up a bit. Also thought about a late Pointy naked and found a nice candidate near to me.

All have pros and cons but I want a fun 2nd bike and it has to be a V-Twin so got thinking about SV1000 Naked Classic. And bugger me but a quick search has found a beauty with low miles and lots of extras nearby.....

So, from those who have ridden both SV1000 and SV650, is there much difference in the weight and balance? My main concerns are pushing it around my yard and garage and slow-speed riding/filtering balance. Is the SV1000 a cumbersome beast or light on it's feet like the SV650?

Riding the SV1000 before buying might be tricky as it's a private sale so any advice would be great folks! Many thanks.
Old 13-05-11, 01:20 AM   #2
monkey

Default Re: SV1000 vs. SV650 Weight/Balance Opinions?

My advice would be to take the price of the bike in cash, give it to the vendor and ask if you can ride it for an hour before deciding. Oh take proof that you're insured to ride it too.
Old 13-05-11, 06:19 AM   #3
davepreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
Nice dilemma to have but need some advice please.

So, from those who have ridden both SV1000 and SV650, is there much difference in the weight and balance? My main concerns are pushing it around my yard and garage and slow-speed riding/filtering balance. Is the SV1000 a cumbersome beast or light on it's feet like the SV650?
weighs more but not ridiculasly so, filtering is slightly harder or i should say more attention needy due to the engine not likeing doing under 30, but thats nothing to do with the handling, its just eager to get shifting (idle in first is about 25 mph)
dont be under the illussion it will handle like the 650, the 650 is unbeliveably chuckable and the thou handles well but not as well, but it is a far faster bigger bike which loves a good thrashing, i loved mine (wife nicked it now) and would buy another tomorrow
test ride any sv thou before hand at a dealer to see if you can push pull handball it about and if you like the balance etc, if you do go with the cash to private seller and test ride it to make sure its on the money mechanicly
and buy the future love of your life

Last edited by davepreston; 13-05-11 at 06:21 AM.
Old 13-05-11, 06:59 AM   #4
mattSV
Mega Poster

The thou has better brakes and suspension than the 650, not to mention THAT engine

It will not drop into corners like a 650 does, but once you have picked your line it feels totally planted.

A lot of people think that the SV1000 is the same as the 650 with a bit more power and a bit heavier - it is a totally different bike to the 650, apart from sharing a few panels/tank etc. As a result, riding the thou is very different to the 650 - you will need to re-calibrate your brain and throttle wrist when you open it up, otherwise you could end up in a lot of trouble

If/when you test one, do not try and compare it to the 650, just treat it as a big v-twin and enjoy it - if you get the chance to redline it in second and third I can highly recommend it (IIRC redline in second is about 93mph) - obviously that is assuming you will test it on private roads
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-11, 01:13 AM   #5
KeithCRM

I did exactly what you're thinking about doing, switched from a 650S K2 curvy to SV1000 naked classic. Thought the riding position would be more comfortable; which it is, just get some pain in the lower back from time to time. I put this down to extra wind blast and pushing against the acceleration. Low speed balance is much better.

Find the handling just as good as the 650 but found the front end lighter as the riding position puts less weight on the front and there's more leverage on the wider bars. Not a problem once you're used to it; you can still chuck it about like its little brother, just feels slightly heavier at times.

Suspension is much more firm but with more adjustment.

But that engine is like.... so responsive. At the bottom end and mid range it's addictive, the torque just launches it with ease. I think the classic had an uprated engine; a full 125BHP, so be careful first time out but enjoy.

KeithCRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-11, 05:08 PM   #6
McFly

Thanks for replies folks. I have gone and been a bit naughty by letting my heart rule my head and bought the beast.

It is a 2008 SV1000 Classic (so Black) with 8800 miles and quite a few extras. I had backed off as it turned out not to have had the 3rd due service (previous 2 done late, at 1200 and 5000 miles) but the seller offered to go a bit further and after pricing in a total top-to-bottom service and MOT with my local (friendly and trustworthy!) dealer I have bitten the bullet.

I actually feel bad as the poor lad selling it has fallen on hard times. It has sat SORN'ed in his garage for 6 months plugged to an Optimate but I think with the above work done and a good clean-up (I am anally fussy!) I will have a lovely bike and one to keep for a long, long time.

I'll post some pics once I get it back from the dealers (they are collecting it for me) and 'on the road', then it'll be a case of venture out and treat it with a LOT of respect.
Old 15-05-11, 10:08 PM   #7
Ratty

Good choice. Well done and enjoy the performance .

Ratty
Old 15-05-11, 10:44 PM   #8
monkey

Nice one!

Anally fussy eh?! He he.
Old 15-05-11, 11:02 PM   #9
KeithCRM

Enjoy! Let us know how it compares against its baby brother.

KeithCRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-11, 11:44 PM   #10
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
e but I think with the above work done and a good clean-up (I am anally fussy!) I will have a lovely bike and one to keep for a long, long time.
Fussy? You ain't fussy about looks, I've seen your bright Tango orange Versys

Enjoy the new bike George.