SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-10, 03:14 PM   #71
barwel1992

Default Re: A new project (includes pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Looked gorgeous, no chav crap (take heed!)
cheeky git

sounds like a mean bike !
Old 29-07-10, 08:34 AM   #72
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
Black stripes on the yellow, especially with that waspish back end. Finish it with a small round rear light for stinger effect!
I like it. Black and Yellow hoops?

Maybe not.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 10:02 AM   #73
Jamesy D

I am really rather liking the way this is shaping up indeed! Very tasty, I'm very tempted to do it to my own Suzy.

As for colour scheme, I'd personally stick with yellow, but go for something a little deeper, maybe a little more goldy than the standard yellow. Less bright. And of course, make sure it gets a gloss coat.
Old 29-07-10, 11:20 AM   #74
cuffy

Cracking write up, i'd go black and gold pin stripe.
This fella done something similar to you.
>>LINKY<<
Old 29-07-10, 11:31 AM   #75
TamSV
Mega Poster

That's very nice. Just needs some John Player Special decals.
Old 31-07-10, 06:07 PM   #76
TamSV
Mega Poster

Decided to take a closer look at the 600 SRAD calipers I got off fleabay.

It turns out "good working order" and "taken from a well maintained bike" means "the pins are welded in solid and every piston is totally seized" and "the bike only stopped when it hit the back of the workshop".

It's fair to say they needed an overhaul so I split the calipers to remove the pins and pads, then put them back together and hooked up a line on the front M/C to push the pistons out. A few of them were really stubborn and I had to clamp the rest to get the stuck ones moving.

Off course, I'd thrown out the old brake lines in a tidying frenzy so I had to sully one of my nice new Goodridge lines.

Once I got everything apart, enough of the seals are shot to justify a new set so they're ordered up.

Also made a new bracket for the reg/rec as the original position was touching the seat unit.

Old 04-08-10, 10:12 PM   #77
TamSV
Mega Poster

The calipers took a fair amount of work to clean up. The dust seal grooves were totally full of rock solid white residue. Cleaning it out with a toothbrush wasn't touching it but a wooden pick out of Mrs T's manicure set plus loads of brake fluid finally shifted it.

Cleaned up the manky pistons with a green scotchbrite pad and put them all back in with red rubber grease. I'm glad I didn't get 6 pots.

The calipers are a bit tatty and could do with a paint. Any suggestions? I was looking at caliper paint in halfords but they only had red, blue and yellow - I lingered there for a bit too long but I think I'll stick with black. Would the VHT engine paint I've got do the job? They definitely need something.

I've finally got a front wheel. Kept getting outbid on ebay so ended up paying more than I wanted. Once that arrives I can get some tyres and get it rollin.

In the meantime I've polished the rims on the back wheel and painted the centre black with an alloy wheel kit from CarPlan. This has taken ages, mainly because good spraying weather has been a bit rare round here lately.

I ended up rushing it and I've put a couple of runs in the ******* lacquer.Sod it. It'll do for now.

The front wheel I'm waiting for is, handily, already black with polished rims but I don't know if it'll need some work. They can go on just now so I can crack on. If it needs it I can sort the front and redo the back when the bodywork gets painted.

Anyhoo, you're allowed to make mistakes with paint. That's why God gave us Nitromors.

I picked up these lamp brackets for not too much money but they're far too long. They put the headlight out miles from the forks.

They'll get used though. I'll either cut them down a wee bit or maybe just use the part round the forks and make something up in aluminium between that and the light.

I made the mistake of adding up what I've spent so far . The list of used bikes I could have bought instead is growing...and getting more exotic.
Old 04-08-10, 10:17 PM   #78
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Tam what did the 4 pots put you back?
as for colour make them look like Brembos (gold and red)

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 10:29 PM   #79
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Don't think there are any. It has since been stripped for parts.

It was 750M frame, K5 running gear, 1100K engine, Ti system, FCR flatslides, single lamp, clipons, upperton head (the proper "built" one), kent cams, RGV250 tail end plastic, brembo MC, penske 8970. Very good bike... it was running in fast group at track.

Looked gorgeous, no chav crap (take heed!), built for purpose with attention to detail. Absolutely dripping in top quality kit, but nothing showy, you had to look close.

You want to see one, build your own
My mate Champ built the very first Harris GPz750 Turbo in the front room of his first floor flat. It appeared on the cover of a Performance Bikes give-away leaflet about building specials.
Old 04-08-10, 10:31 PM   #80
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Tam what did the 4 pots put you back?
£70 for the pair. Seemed OK, bearing in mind they've a bit of cosmetic damage but were in *ahem* "good working order". But then another £50 for seals and they're less of a bargain. TBH the full set of seals was my choice - I'm sure I could have safely re-used some of them.

Quote:
as for colour make them look like Brembos (gold and red)
Gold and Red 10-year old Tokicos? It's a wee bit fur coat/no knickers.