SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-17, 08:47 AM   #11
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Moving on from the SV650 - Goldylocks Problem

I loved the test ride I had on the Tiger but it had the standard seat on, in it's lower position (of two). I could not get enough of my feet on the ground to be comfortable about stopping in a hurry or at lumpy/uneven junctions. There is a lower seat option which would have made it a lot better I'm sure but with my dinky 29in legs I was not confident on it. The dealer had a lower seat which I know I should have tried but I had a go on their T100 instead and I was hooked...

Trumpet dealers will be used to shorter people finding their very popular bikes a little tall so I'm guessing that most of them will have a low seat available for their test ride fleet if you need one. I found it a hoot on the move and very comfortable but you may need to take a tape measure with you to see if it will fit through those openings.
Old 22-08-17, 08:49 AM   #12
NTECUK
Mega Poster

If I can rider a 800 xrx 3 weeks after my knee anthropscy.
I think that your be fine lol
Had the lower seat (well still got it ,and the exhaust Slip On and link pipe).
Helps to an extent.

Last edited by NTECUK; 22-08-17 at 08:52 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-17, 06:28 PM   #13
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Shadow View Post
Really appreciate everyone's input

Cannot believe I overlooked the Triumph Tiger!
My only concern being it's more adventure/off road ordinated than touring, even the XR variation. The other being weight or the feel of the weight.
I appreciate that once your moving it's irreverent, the Versys taught me that. However I have to manual manoeuvre the bike into a shed, by riding up a pavement & through a 88cm wide gate, up a paved pathway which is on an incline, then roll the bike back before pushing/ riding it forward through a 90cm shed door
Hoping the Tiger doesn't feel all 210kg in weight & being able to get both feet down would help. It makes the shortlist

The VFR is out purely on its weight, I sat on one over the weekend & it makes no attempt to hide the 240kg+ wet weight.

The 800GT still appeals after my very short test ride. Not too sure how I feel about a belt drive & also fear it maybe too "sensible".
A lot of review state it's under powered ... but compared to an SV?

I'll definitely look to ride the Tiger & BMW soon.

As for the Tracer 700, here's why my first impressions were bad.
( It's all Tracer 700 from here on - turn back now )
I really looked forward to the release of the Tracer 700, I deemed it the perfect SV replacement & maybe this hype helped kill it for me.
Every review states it's "good value" or "amazing for the price".
Yet if you took out the price tag & look at what your actually receiving, it's VERY basic.
The overal finish seems good, yet I'd be extremely interested to see a long term review. The engine is a torque monster & the styling is great ... but.
The switchgear feels like it was taken off a kids toy, so very unnecessarily small & cheap feeling. It's something I never even considered till riding the Tracer.
The all in one hand guards do nothing to prevent wind blast, some amazing styling but they prevent the option to even add your own. The dash is rammed with information, squeezed into a space smaller in size than a helmet visor.
Speed,Revs,Fuel, gear position, odometer & a clock.
The brakes lack any initial bite or feedback until really pressed & you might as well jump off the bike than rely on the rear brake.

The styling is personal, the brakes are fixable, but the suspension.
Cornish roads are not renown for being silky smooth, but the SV handles them no trouble. I did not expect a 2004 bike to have a better suspension that a 2016 bike. Every minor roll in the tarmac has your head bobbing like a Churchill Dog.
So yea, upgrade the suspension, but why isn't this done already?
The competition, which unsurprisingly every review brings up, " cost significantly more".
True but they didn't cull an essential item of a SPORTS TOURING motorbike!
So that's my first ride review of the 700 Tracer ... starting to think I'd be better off backing away from it slowly rather than risk another ride
Rant over
I've not ridden a GT, but if it's anything like the ST they're developed really well.
Belt drive is great - no maintenance. Just keep an eye on the tension and condition of the teeth. BMW say 20k intervals, but most easily hit 30k. As with a chain the most stress/stretch is when pulling away from stationary. Also pretty easy to change yourself too. Cost is about £220 or so from BMW, or you can buy them from Europe - made by Continental (same as the ones from factory) so not a cheap rip off.
The power is ample for the bike as is the gearing. The torque is available at nigh on all revs and it pulls happily to the top. Parallel twin with 360 firing cycle means it is a very even power band and no real peaks. A very consistent band of power.
The chassis is fantastic, sporty enough but also not too stiff. Very compliant over mid corner bumps and very stable.
Well worth getting a longer test ride and take it on a variety of roads.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-17, 11:50 AM   #14
Bibio
Mega Poster

new MT-09 with a tall screen. 193kg fully wet, traction control, abs, now with comp/reb adjustable forks all for £8k
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-17, 12:47 PM   #15
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Shadow View Post
Cannot believe I overlooked the Triumph Tiger!
My only concern being it's more adventure/off road ordinated than touring, even the XR variation. The other being weight or the feel of the weight.

The VFR is out purely on its weight, I sat on one over the weekend & it makes no attempt to hide the 240kg+ wet weight.
The Tiger is great tourer and pretty damn rapid. Try one, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I agree that the VFR can be a tad heavy to wheel about, but you do get used to it. I have no problem maneuvering the bike on my sloping drive. As you have only sat on one, I'd urge you to take a test ride, once moving its a very different beast. Easy to ride, although fast changes of direction does need some proper input to the bike (which I like), enough power (VTEC howl is addictive), reasonable economy, real world 200 mile tank, super comfy tourer. As a European tourer, its great - frugal and comfortable on the boring bits but drop the luggage and its a great deal of fun up and down cols. I'll be keeping mine for a long time yet....
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-17, 03:27 PM   #16
Talking Heads

Can't believe no-one has mentioned the new V-strom 650 yet...?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-17, 03:33 PM   #17
Mega Poster

The VFR is the best shout here, shame you didn't take it for a spin as all the iterations lose their heavy stand still weight when on the move. I couldn't imagine life without my VFR750. Maybe consider a 4th gen VFR750 as they're lighter and the gear driven cams ensure engine life that will outlive you. The only weak spot on them is the RR. The suspension naturally gets soft over the years but a lot of bikes tend to have either new oil and springs or a bit more on a Maxton (etc) revalve.

But if you want light, fun, capable of touring and your budget isn't tiny...why not get a Street Triple? They'll hold a long journey as well as any other bike, drop the luggage and you've got yourself a hooligan corner carver.

Old 23-08-17, 05:43 PM   #18
NTECUK
Mega Poster

TBH I wouldn't think my 765 RS is a good as my old Tiger xrx in its ability to take luggage.
There's a good few luggage systems for the Tiger.
The Streets not nearly as well supported.
Yes throw overs/tail packs can serve well.
But then again the xrx had cruise control.
Really relaxed riding position.
Screen that's adjustable.
Big squishy seat.
200 miles tank rang.....
Old 23-08-17, 07:07 PM   #19
Mega Poster

I'd always want something I could ride about like a hooligan at the destination. Just my preference though!

The SV1000 would make a good touring machine with a Sargent/Corbin seat and a taller screen
Old 23-08-17, 10:19 PM   #20
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
I'd always want something I could ride about like a hooligan at the destination. Just my preference though!
Oh and the Striple can do that by the bucket loads lol.