SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-17, 08:09 PM   #1
Downshif88

Default Curvy Electrical Issue.....Help Needed

I own a 1999 fully faired curvy which has developed a rather odd electrical fault. The side lights have suddenly stopped working, but they work when the key is turned to the "Park" position. I've searched the forum for a similar issue but had No luck.

My thoughts so far:

It may of been the switch gear on the bars, but when switched to the side light "on" position the dash lights come on which in my mind indicates the switch is working fine.

Its not any of the bulbs as they all work in the Park Position.

I don't believe its the fuses either as Iv'e checked over them and they seemed fine.

The connections which are visible with the fairings off all seem solid. (I'm no auto electrician though)

My next step is to use a voltmeter on the front side light connection point to see if any voltage is there (Need to buy one first though).

I'm pretty stumped with this one. I've not dropped or damaged the bike in anyway which could lead to this.

Any of your thoughts on the above would help greatly.

Thanks in Advance

DS
Old 10-09-17, 08:49 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy Electrical Issue.....Help Needed

Did you check the green ignition connector under the tank?

I'd check that and the big yellow multi coonectors in the fairing for starters, clean them up and protect ACF50 after
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 09:06 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

As above.My big connector under the tank had corrosion on the pins and sockets.I used a small electrical screwdriver wrapped with a bit of 500 grit paper to score off the corrosion.Then spray with Switch cleaner(Maplins) and then treated with ACF50.

I've done this to EVERY connector on my bikes.Also in this case it could be the actual Ignition block being dirty/failing so again Spray into the key hole with Switch cleaner.Let dry for 10 mins and then spray with ACF50,

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Good local Motorcycles shops know about it now so usually stock it but also,

£13.50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACF-50-Mot...IAAOSwdjNZCEQT

I've been using it for over 10 years and I have not had one electrical problem that was not down to me IIRC or just natural component wear.
Old 11-09-17, 01:40 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

had a look at the wiring diagram and from what i can see the only place that it can be is the Grey wire that runs between the light switchgear connector and ignition switch connector as its the only two that tie up for park light power when ignition is on. the park light at the ignition is on a separate circuit.

the same circuit also supplies power on the other terminal to the O/Bl from connector to switchgear and O/G from connector to loom which is supply for brake light switches, temp on instrument cluster and horn.

so if everything else is working then test the Grey wire circuit.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 07:41 PM   #5
Downshif88

Thanks for all of the replies!

The AFC50 is something I'm definitely going to do for this winter, thanks.

It is now fixed after a couple of hours trouble shooting with the voltmeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
had a look at the wiring diagram and from what i can see the only place that it can be is the Grey wire that runs between the light switchgear connector and ignition switch connector as its the only two that tie up for park light power when ignition is on. the park light at the ignition is on a separate circuit.

the same circuit also supplies power on the other terminal to the O/Bl from connector to switchgear and O/G from connector to loom which is supply for brake light switches, temp on instrument cluster and horn.

so if everything else is working then test the Grey wire circuit.
Turns out you were dead on the money .

The Grey wire was worn down after the left hand connector past the light bulb (Left, as if you were sat on the bike). Cut and then Striped both sides back to the copper, added a small connector block and wrapped it up in electrical tape and shazam..... the side lights were back running again.

Thanks Again,

DS