SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-12-10, 08:39 PM   #1
philz

Default Do I need a new battery?

My bike has an alarm fitted which means that it auto arms after 50 seconds so when I want to mess around with the bike I have to leave the ignition key in which then means the lights are on too (otherwise I keep setting the alarm off)

Anyway, I've just been in the garage messing around with the bike and after 30 mins of having the ignition on the battery was dead. Is this normal? Should the battery last longer than this or is it time to buy a new one? (battery was fully charged beforehand as it's been on my Accumate)
Old 09-12-10, 08:52 PM   #2
B1k3R

Default Re: Do I need a new battery?

Not just me then. You should be able to change the alarm mode so you can tinker with the key out.

The cold kills battery's that are on their way out. I just ordered a new battery for myself.
Old 09-12-10, 08:57 PM   #3
Stonesie

Well I would say It's in fine health, at least it was, try charging it again and see.

If your bike is a faired pointy then you have 2x 55w and 2x 5w bulbs just in the nose, 120 watts at 12v = 10 amps of drain on the battery + whatever the allarm and LED's of the dash and tail light are taking.
Your allarm will have a ''vallet/service'' mode where it will not arm, dig out the instructions and see how to activate it
Old 09-12-10, 09:16 PM   #4
philz

I forgot to mention that I left the Accumate plugged in while I had the ignition on and the battery still went flat in 30 mins.
Old 09-12-10, 10:04 PM   #5
Stonesie

Well the accumate can't supply 10 Amps.... (Or can it, not got one yet)
Old 10-12-10, 08:00 PM   #6
philz

What I meant was that even with the Accumate plugged in it only took 30 mins to completely drain the battery, does that mean that it might take 10 mins without it?
Old 10-12-10, 08:50 PM   #7
B1k3R

Bike batteries are designed to give a quick full power over a short period of time. A charger just won't be able to put enough power back in quickly enough over a short period.
Old 11-12-10, 10:44 AM   #8
philz

Cool, cheers for the info. I'll just leave the battery for now and carry my AA card with me just in case.