SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-04-08, 10:32 PM   #1
chasey

Default Smoking

Just had my first smoke free day in 3 1/2 years or so. I would love to say I feel better for it but...

I got sick of spending so much money on smoking. Got to the point where it was ?150 (give or take) a month...tot that up over the year and it's like "wtf?".

Oh well, another few more days of gagging for a smoke and I might start to feel a little better.

Anyone got any iwords of encouragement?
Old 21-04-08, 10:39 PM   #2
ArtyLady

Default Re: Smoking

Well done...keep it up!

I gave up 15 years ago - now I dont drink either so save a fortune still poor though, spend it all on petrol
Old 21-04-08, 10:44 PM   #3
Ed

Well done you!! Just think of all the money you'll save, and the fact that you won't stink. Sorry but you probably can't smell yourself, so you won't realise.

Keep at it!!
Old 21-04-08, 10:51 PM   #4
missyburd

Congrats, you'll feel better in yourself soon enough

It's the first few steps that are the hardest (I would assume ), things can only get easier!
Old 21-04-08, 10:51 PM   #5
Gordon B

It does get easier in time.

Keep at it.
Old 21-04-08, 10:53 PM   #6
Gene genie

WILL POWER chasey. don't throw the towel in, you've already done the hardest bit. i have never smoked but i have seen at first hand what it is capable of. my dad died aged 79. ok a good age but he suffered for the last 25 of it. countless operations on blocked arteries and what not. my dad was a strong chap but to see him go the way he did was pityful. and through all them operations and trouble he never stopped smoking, cut down a little but never give up.i've got two children and the youngest just remembers a little wooden box in the ground, not sitting on his knee singing songs. silly bugger. sad. you stay off the fags chasey or you'll have ME to answer to.
Old 21-04-08, 11:22 PM   #7
lukemillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene genie View Post
WILL POWER chasey. don't throw the towel in, you've already done the hardest bit. i have never smoked but i have seen at first hand what it is capable of. my dad died aged 79. ok a good age but he suffered for the last 25 of it. countless operations on blocked arteries and what not. my dad was a strong chap but to see him go the way he did was pityful. and through all them operations and trouble he never stopped smoking, cut down a little but never give up.i've got two children and the youngest just remembers a little wooden box in the ground, not sitting on his knee singing songs. silly bugger. sad. you stay off the fags chasey or you'll have ME to answer to.
The hardest bit is actually still to come. Hello my name is Luke and I'm an ex-smoker. It has been 2 months since my last cigarette

The cravings actually go very quickly ~2 weeks, which is nice and then after that it's quite easy. It gets hard again now - 2-3 months down the line, where you start thinking, "well, I know can give up now - I'll just have a cigarette". People say that you have to re-train your brain in all the different situations where you would normally have a cigarette, to get used to that experience without smoking i.e going down the pub or after a meal etc. Unfortunately this takes time.

Best advice is to hang in there and don't give in after a while. If I have momentary lapses in will power (I don't actually have a cigarette, but really really want one) then it lasts maybe 5 mins, then I'm fine again.
Old 22-04-08, 06:32 AM   #8
gettin2dizzy

It's not that difficult to be honest. The cigarette needs to get from the shop, out of cellophane, in to your mouth and miraculously light itself. There's a fair few points along the way where you can stop it Just don't be a fanny and give in!
Old 22-04-08, 07:00 AM   #9
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasey View Post
Oh well, another few more days of gagging for a smoke
Yeah, the gagging for a smoke phase lasted about 3 years for me...

Good luck though mate and remember, luck is not a factor!
Old 22-04-08, 07:15 AM   #10
G
Mega Poster

If you get an urge come online into this thread and we will all shout abuse at you so that you dont.
G is offline   Reply With Quote