SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-07-18, 06:51 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default I wanted a thunderstorm...

...I was so close (the storms are heading due north):

I mentioned once before - our weather here is "beige". When the rest of the country is melting, we are warm...when the rest are flooding, we are moist, et cetera, et cetera.

(Image captured at 6am, 27 July)
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 08:29 AM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: I wanted a thunderstorm...

Beige weather grows a very nice potato though......

I want a thunderstorm as well, it got very humid and cloudy in Shropshire yesterday afternoon (as it has done several times in last few weeks) - but the clouds just sailed away without doing their job. If you like thunderstorms go to Johannesburg (or anywhere in Africa really except Sahara) or Sydney ( or most places in Australia) from October to March - they have the most fantastic thunderstorms with hail thrown in.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 09:48 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I lived in San Antonio, Texas for a year and the storms there were impressive - anywhere that has a continental climate rather than a maritime climate (like ours) will work.

When we were house hunting in San Antonio we drove past aluminium roofed houses on which was a strange dimpling, the realtor (estate agent) said: "Oh yeah, that's just hail damage". "Hail the size of base balls tends to damage a lot of things."
They used to sell 'hail damaged vehicles' in Sydney, all the car dealers had 'shade netting' on poles over their cars to stop hail damage (and also sun damage) - I out-ran a hailstorm once on the way home from work in Sydney and just got the lift up garage door open as the first stones hit the door, car was inside garage by the time the real action started, it was common to see vehicles sheltering under bridges in hailstorms, even motorway bridges. In Johannesburg the hailstones could get to or above the size of golfballs and easily smash windows and punch holes in roofs, roofing tiles had a metal plate inside for strength. Sydney hailstones tended to be like large popcorn shapes at times, but would kill birds and strip trees of leaves..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 27-07-18, 11:25 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I read an article a few years ago about recent lack of thunderstorm action in UK is linked to people no longer burning coal. A coal fire produced a rising column of ionized carbonised gas that made it easy for lightning to travel along it (born out by the fact that 99% of the time it was chimneys that were struck by lightning). Since everything got cleaned up and coal fired power stations / lots of industry shut down a lot less lightning and thunder than I remember when I was a kid.

Old 27-07-18, 01:22 PM   #5
pookie

downpour for 10mins at 5 am this morning .. according to alexa there are thunderstorms at the moment with 7mm rain. The only moisture is the sweat off my forehead
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 02:26 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
downpour for 10mins at 5 am this morning .. according to alexa there are thunderstorms at the moment with 7mm rain. The only moisture is the sweat off my forehead
Alexa may be better outside the house in the middle of the lawn, may have more idea of weather, 'alexa play 'raindrops keep falling one my head' .

A piece of seaweed hanging up outside is a good weather forecast tool, if it is wet it is raining, if it is moving around it is windy...........etc.

When the met office spent £90m on a new supercomputer a few years ago someone remarked 'well now at least they will be able to get the wrong answer a lot faster'

This is interesting, the single biggest cause of our weather is the jetstream, if we are below it we get warmer more high pressure weather, if we are above it we get cooler more low pressure weather.

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and...tream/tutorial

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream

Last edited by SV650rules; 27-07-18 at 03:53 PM.
Old 27-07-18, 06:36 PM   #7
Teejayexc

Well, you wanted one Seeker, had enough now?
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 10:06 AM   #8
Dj liss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...I was so close (the storms are heading due north):

I mentioned once before - our weather here is "beige". When the rest of the country is melting, we are warm...when the rest are flooding, we are moist, et cetera, et cetera.

(Image captured at 6am, 27 July)
Hi Seeker,

I am also 'HERE' well the red dot marked Grimsby lol, if you ever stuck for people to ride out with (probably not but i am lol) sling me a PM, i am a newbie so you'd have to bear with me lol.
Dj liss is offline   Reply With Quote