SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-15, 05:15 AM   #11
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying bikes off eBay

I have to say it's not a very clever way to buy something - unseen, unridden, fingers crossed - so hopefully it'll work out this time. And hopefully it's not too far away.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-15, 05:31 AM   #12
7755matt

The other problem is the seller may not be with holdign anything at all - they simply may not not there are any problems
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-15, 07:31 AM   #13
thebug

Not very clever - I know. That's why I banked most people would avoid it. I'll either have myself a great deal or a very large and expensive door stop for the garage. I'm hoping for the former.
Old 14-07-15, 08:04 AM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I've bought several bikes unseen, including one on here from another forum member and I've never come away with a deal I wasn't happy with. You just need to have a little knowledge around people and bikes, and follow your head, not your heart!

I think if someone is advertising a bike with very basic information then you should ask a few questions and be very suspicious if you don't get an answer. If they know what they are doing there will be good reasons for not describing the condition of the bike. The alternative is they may not know anything about bikes but then they usually say so. A good look at their feedback history usually tells you which.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-15, 08:41 AM   #15
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Yes its a bit of a gamble.
But if it's a shead you can walk away.
Old 14-07-15, 09:08 AM   #16
7755matt

Maybe you can, but only because ebay seems to have made it that way. It's like 'homes under the hammer' - the number of people that buy property without viewing - I'd like to see them walk away from the sale because there's a problem.

Buy it now and classifieds are one thing, not accepting that an auction sale is an auction sale is another. It may well be an expensive lesson.
Old 14-07-15, 05:00 PM   #17
Nath1505

Just go along and check it out, make sure everything works as it should, if anything is broken which the seller failed to mention you just tell him you won't be purchasing the bike as the description was false..... eBay is an auction site it's not a law abiding contract.
Old 15-07-15, 10:33 AM   #18
7755matt

I think that's the problem, by being an auction site it IS creating a legally binding contract, but no-one is likely to follow it up.
Old 15-07-15, 12:03 PM   #19
atassiedevil

I've bought unseen bikes off ebay before, as long as you are aware there may be pitfalls, and pay accordingly, you shouldn't have any issues.

I've a VF1000F2 Bol D'Or and a 5k miles from new VF500F2 as a result. Do your homework and research, both bikes did have issues, but i accepted they would probably have as they were non runners when i bought them.

All now thankfully resolved, and my collection is complete.
Old 15-07-15, 12:41 PM   #20
Nath1505

I bought my SV off eBay but went to view it first...I've made the mistake before of winning a auction and not viewing and I ended up with a piece of junk