SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-08-13, 06:34 PM   #1
Seggons

Default Looking to buy a DSLR camera.

I've been keeping an eye on Davey's "Recommend me a camera" thread and I seem to be settled on the idea of a Cannon 1100D. I've always liked the idea of owning a DSLR camera but have been scared off by all the technical jargon and settings on them. But I reckon with a bit of Youtube and Google-flu I should be alright.

As I'm new to this I'm not quite sure what I'm going to need to get me going? I've got a budget of about £300, could push to £350 if I really had to. I like the idea of a brand new camera but I've seen used ones going cheap. Is it a good or bad idea to go used?

Comments please as it's all new to me. Thanks.
Old 10-08-13, 06:47 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Looking to buy a DSLR camera.

Nikon end of
Old 10-08-13, 06:50 PM   #3
Jackie_Black

I have always used canon DSLR's. I had a 350D when they came out and now have a 5D MK2 (which is phenomenal). One of my favourite things with canon is that no matter how flash a body it is. There is always a NOOB function to allow you to just point and shoot, so you wont miss a picture. As you get more confident you can play about with the other functions of the camera until you feel the need to spend a months pay on one lens!

I always buy camera bodies new but lenses i'm not quite as bothered about. The only reason i buy new is that technically a shutter has a limited number of actuations (in theory) and you never know how much its been used.

Before you buy anything though. Go to a shop and play with both Canon and Nikon. One will feel better, buy that one. You will either be canon or nikon. I love Canon and me dad swears by Nikon so go check them out before you part with cash. The 1100D is a good camera and you can probably get it with a twin lens kit too, this will give you more options.
Old 10-08-13, 07:29 PM   #4
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie_Black View Post
Before you buy anything though. Go to a shop and play with both Canon and Nikon. One will feel better, buy that one.
+1

Start with an okay body with kit lenses and go from there if you get into it properly. I went for a Canon 450d with 2 kit lenses with a cash back thing at the time. If you look out for those cash backs on a 1100d kit you wont go wrong.

Either Canon or Nikon are a good shout....might be worth giving the Sony stuff a look in too...

You could go second hand, there are plenty newish models available that wont have had much use, as the camera makers bring new models out most years you should be able to gauge how old a S/H camera can be.

http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.cameralabs.com/ provide decent reviews and details on all the cameras you will be interested in.

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 07:39 PM   #5
Kenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Nikon end of
This! Just picked up a D3200 twin pack from Jessops for £449. Camera with a 18-55mm lens is available for £355 from Amazon. Has a great guide mode for beginners. Have a Fuji HS10 and it's night and day different with the Nikon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie_Black View Post

Before you buy anything though. Go to a shop and play with both Canon and Nikon. One will feel better, buy that one.
+2. Tried a Canon and it didn't feel right

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3200-...keywords=d3200

This is what I got:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...9152/show.html

Last edited by Kenzie; 10-08-13 at 07:43 PM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 07:44 PM   #6
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I'll put this link up for used parts. I've had several used bodies and lenses from them and never had a problem.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use...l-slr-cameras/

Plenty of EOS 1100's there. Put this lens on it. http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use...--canon-fit-2/. And you'll be a happy bunny.

Pete

Last edited by Bluepete; 10-08-13 at 07:45 PM.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 07:45 PM   #7
Seggons

But other than the camera what else would I need? I'm guessing it won't come with a memory card so what sort of card would I need? Also what size if I wanted to take a mixture of photo's and video's? I'm also guessing a bag of types would be a good idea? What about battery's, is it a double A jobby or do they come with battery packs and chargers?

Thanks for the links Pete.
Old 10-08-13, 07:47 PM   #8
Kenzie

Most dslrs will have a battery pack rather than AA batteries. You will need a carry case, high capacity memory cards, spare battery. I also fit my lenses with a UV filter as it is cheaper than replacing a lens if it gets scratched.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 07:48 PM   #9
Bluepete
Mega Poster

All those used bodies have the battery and charger. As for memory, you only need the really fast cards for really fast cameras. Amazon etc will sort you out for very little. As for a case, the price is only dependent on what you want to spend. I use a Crumpler holster type when I can be bothered.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 07:51 PM   #10
Dabteacake

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Digita...keywords=nikon

My wife uses this camera and has good results with it plus you could buy a case and card and not be much over you £300