SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-10-07, 07:16 PM   #1
Endellion

Talking Touring take 2

Hey all,

Following an earlier post on possibly changing my SV650 for a 2000 odd mile tour round Europe next year I have decided not to change it, I love it too much!

So a few questions to help me prepare the bike for the trip.

Are Scotoilers worth it?

I have an Oxford tankbag and I reckon I will get a Kriega tailpack and panniers, what soft panniers would be best? I don't want hard luggage.

I need a taller screen, I am tall at 6'4" any recommendations?

What speares should I consider, bulbs chain etc?

What should I regarding toolkit?

Thinking of a Corbin seat and Helibars to make it more comfortable over long distance also tank grip so I can hold with my knees more taking the strain off wrists, does anyone have anymore recommendation for stuff I should consider?

Thx in advance for any input

Ian
Old 28-10-07, 07:36 PM   #2
Biker_Billy

Default Re: Touring take 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endellion View Post
Hey all,

Following an earlier post on possibly changing my SV650 for a 2000 odd mile tour round Europe next year I have decided not to change it, I love it too much!

So a few questions to help me prepare the bike for the trip.

Are Scotoilers worth it?

I have an Oxford tankbag and I reckon I will get a Kriega tailpack and panniers, what soft panniers would be best? I don't want hard luggage.

I need a taller screen, I am tall at 6'4" any recommendations?

What speares should I consider, bulbs chain etc?

What should I regarding toolkit?

Thinking of a Corbin seat and Helibars to make it more comfortable over long distance also tank grip so I can hold with my knees more taking the strain off wrists, does anyone have anymore recommendation for stuff I should consider?

Thx in advance for any input

Ian
Can't answer all of the above, as only done a couple of trips but...

I bought some Oxford Sports humpback panniers, and once I managed to fit them right, I thought they were really good - I seem to remember that someone is selling some in the for sale section too...

I got mine from this place - they were on offer at around this price too I think..
http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/p...p?ProductID=47
They held quite a lot - were really stable - with a few extra bungees, and they left lots of room on top for the tent etc....(or tailpack)..

I also got a double bubble (am 6'1") and it made a big difference, especially at motorway speeds, the buffeting was reduced, and I felt I was able to do more miles and still feel fresh...

Depending on how long you are going for, and how much you are taking, you may find that the panniers are enough..?

HTH,

Billy.
Old 28-10-07, 07:46 PM   #3
Bear

Scottoilers are great, whatever panniers you get you WILL fill with useless stuff you don't need, other than that I am no help whatsoever!

Sorry!
Old 28-10-07, 08:01 PM   #4
Endellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Billy View Post
Can't answer all of the above, as only done a couple of trips but...

I bought some Oxford Sports humpback panniers, and once I managed to fit them right, I thought they were really good - I seem to remember that someone is selling some in the for sale section too...

I got mine from this place - they were on offer at around this price too I think..
http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/p...p?ProductID=47
They held quite a lot - were really stable - with a few extra bungees, and they left lots of room on top for the tent etc....(or tailpack)..

I also got a double bubble (am 6'1") and it made a big difference, especially at motorway speeds, the buffeting was reduced, and I felt I was able to do more miles and still feel fresh...

Depending on how long you are going for, and how much you are taking, you may find that the panniers are enough..?

HTH,

Billy.
What screen did you fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
whatever panniers you get you WILL fill with useless stuff you don't need
Lol too true
Old 28-10-07, 08:08 PM   #5
hovis

scotoiler=yes
Old 28-10-07, 08:55 PM   #6
seedy100

+1 for the scott oiler
My last tour to France cost me a chain through lack of lubrication.

My soft luggage was a pain, something that you can lock to the bike means that you dont have to cart it around everywhere to keep the chavs off.

I will be buying hard for the next trip.
Old 28-10-07, 10:17 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

Scotty = no brainer

I'd definitely put helibars high on the list, you'll be amazed how much better the riding position will be.

You should always carry a spare bulb set (the basics, headlamp, indi, stop/tail). Some countries require a first aid kit (Germany etc), check requirement for hi-vis in the event of breakdown (Spain, Austria etc).

Definitely some sort of puncture repair kit. Various opinions on this, I'd suggest a kit with the string type plugs and CO2 inflater (take 3 cylinders) as being the easiest to use in difficult circumstances. Alternatively bike size Holts Tyreweld or similar.

A selection of tie-wraps (zip-ties) are a godsend.

If you wear specs, then a spare pair is a must.
Old 28-10-07, 10:18 PM   #8
hovis

take 2 nissan jeeps rampacked full of spares tents food etc
Old 28-10-07, 10:19 PM   #9
Endellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Scotty = no brainer

I'd definitely put helibars high on the list, you'll be amazed how much better the riding position will be.

You should always carry a spare bulb set (the basics, headlamp, indi, stop/tail). Some countries require a first aid kit (Germany etc), check requirement for hi-vis in the event of breakdown (Spain, Austria etc).

Definitely some sort of puncture repair kit. Various opinions on this, I'd suggest a kit with the string type plugs and CO2 inflater (take 3 cylinders) as being the easiest to use in difficult circumstances. Alternatively bike size Holts Tyreweld or similar.

A selection of tie-wraps (zip-ties) are a godsend.

If you wear specs, then a spare pair is a must.
Good advice thx
Old 28-10-07, 10:20 PM   #10
Endellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
take 2 nissan jeeps rampacked full of spares tents food etc

Lol I ain't Ewan Macgregor