SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Exhausts Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 24-11-07, 11:40 PM   #1
mickyamyam

Unhappy devil can flames

hi i have just bought a 53 reg sv 650 s with a devil magnum can fitted,on ride home i noticed that it pops like hell and spits a vibrant blue flame,when throttling off,is this norm or am i about to damage my engine.please someone advise.it did have baffle in but now has baffle out still the same.:conf used:
Old 24-11-07, 11:59 PM   #2
Draper

Default Re: devil can flames

sounds pretty awsome though...

however i have no techincal input for you i am afraid, sept that i was aware that aftermarket cans do do the whole backfiring business to make it sound loud, not to that extent though

you from near me then? or is yamyam in the name something un-wolverhamptony?
Old 25-11-07, 12:23 AM   #3
mickyamyam

yes the yamyam bit is wolverhamptony well im in coseley now just off b-ham new road.where you then.will post vid of can you tube shortly so you can see the extent of the flames,but then again you might see and hear me about.ill be the blue 53 reg spitting flames at cars who just cut me up.it does have its use sometimes i suppose.
Old 25-11-07, 03:48 AM   #4
ThEGr33k

double post yay...
Old 25-11-07, 03:49 AM   #5
ThEGr33k

Ive not had blue flames... well i dont think as im normally riding, but i do get it popping at about 3-4k revs on overdrive (engine breaking). What model bike is it (curvy/pointy). If its a pointy dont worry, if its a curvy then.... i dont think thats normal tbh!
Old 25-11-07, 11:57 AM   #6
Bear

Recently whipped the airbox off my K5 and when I put it back on forgot to connect one of the hoses and connectors. Bike ran fine, just with lots of pops, bangs and flames. Whip your tank off and check all the airbox connectors, think it was one on the left hand side of the bike. Turns out (This is where it gets technical, so this might not be 100% accurate, but it's what I remember being explained to me) that there's a line which feeds into the engine just past the exhaust valves which detonate any unburnt fuel before it gets to the exhaust, for emissions purposes.

A few people I know and trust when it comes to technical stuff have a few pops, bangs and flames out of the back from time to time and it doesn't seem to worry them. If it's singing your bum tho, I might be worried!

Please note that I'm only starting out on this technical knowledge malarkey, so I may be wrong. Someone more techy may be along in a mo to correct or confirm.

HTH
Old 25-11-07, 11:05 PM   #7
mickyamyam

thanks to all for response, the bike is a pointy so will not worry just yet.will also have tank up and mooch around abit.thanks again.for now will just keep my back side flame grilled.
Old 25-11-07, 11:20 PM   #8
mickyamyam

been to bike show at nec not so good this year but ended up spending hours after getting home fitting screen bungs and fender extender which i hear is a must on these bikes,true or false?
Old 25-11-07, 11:35 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Screen, no, don't be soft.
Bungs, yes very good investment, wish I'd fitted them BEFORE throwing myself at the road.
Fender extender also good

The popping and banging is caused by the PAIR system, which feeds a little air into the exhaust on overrun on them strange pointy things, cuts down on emissions and also makes noise.
So, providing the bike still runs alright, then there isn't a significant air leak (from another source), so don't worry about it.
Old 29-11-07, 01:38 PM   #10
Traceur-Sham

i have a scorpion carbon race can on my curvy 00' SV. I get some pops when i engine break and when i'm idle at traffic lights; the revs sit at around 3000rpms with quite a few pops... is this normal?

I also noticed when i upshift at 5000rpms, i get pops as well...