SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-01-08, 05:20 PM   #1
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Angry exam rant

so this afternoon i have 2 of 3 exams for the halfway part of my apprenticeship.

first one pass

second one fail........ why? because some clever **** faced **** brained half-wit decided to set the fire alarm off halfway through, we were told to leave the computers with the timer going, so i asked do we get extra time, the answer was no, timing wont be an issue, o...k...a...y i thought (even though i was only just over halfway through with half the time to go when the alarm went). we're back in the exam and before i know it my 5 min warning comes up and i still have about 15 questions left so i click the most logical answers i can think off so i can finish and just maybe i can get enough questions right to pass.

failed bye 3 questions , am given a print out saying >>>FAILED<<< on it and told to rebook it ASAP because >>>I<<< had failed could have put my fist through the screen i was so p***ed off

has now stuffed up my scheduled pay rise aswell

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-08, 05:24 PM   #2
andyb

Default Re: exam rant

I'd write a letter of appeal/complaint explaining the situation surrounding your exam. Surely they cannot let this happen as you didn't have a choice to leave the room, I'd have maybe not rushed the latter questions and let the time run out but it's all very well to say that after the exam!
Old 25-01-08, 05:28 PM   #3
missyburd

that isn't right at all. You need to go find who coordinates that exam/modules and give them a right good talking to ask 'em what the heck they playing at! You probably weren't the only one who suffered because of it, get it sorted! Certainly isn't fair on you!

I always dread fire alarms going off they're a damn pain.
Old 25-01-08, 05:32 PM   #4
CoolGirl

Yup, I'd expect to be given clearer instructions as to how to proceed under the circumstances (ie, crack on and finish in time available/do as much as you can and get an aggregate mark/start again/whatever). get writing to 'them'!
Old 25-01-08, 05:34 PM   #5
missyburd

We have forms that they call 'special circumstances' forms i.e. if a relative/pet has died, or ill or what ever and then a small percentage of marks are given to you as a consolation type thing. Maybe that sort of thing would work? Did happen during an exam after all.
Old 25-01-08, 05:38 PM   #6
aarond

i would appeal doesn't seem fair at all!
Old 25-01-08, 06:08 PM   #7
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl View Post
get writing to 'them'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad53ggz View Post
i would appeal doesn't seem fair at all!
will do, see what my boss has to say about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
We have forms that they call 'special circumstances' forms i.e. if a relative/pet has died, or ill or what ever and then a small percentage of marks are given to you as a consolation type thing. Maybe that sort of thing would work? Did happen during an exam after all.
don't think we have those, all the theory exams are done online so we get instant results hence the timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
I'd write a letter of appeal/complaint explaining the situation surrounding your exam. Surely they cannot let this happen as you didn't have a choice to leave the room, I'd have maybe not rushed the latter questions and let the time run out but it's all very well to say that after the exam!
i think i started to panic, didn't want to waste an hours work

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-08, 06:10 PM   #8
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
don't think we have those, all the theory exams are done online so we get instant results hence the timer
Ah not quite the same then. Might be something similar though. You definitely need to kick up a fuss though *shakes fist*
Old 25-01-08, 06:21 PM   #9
pmapp
Mega Poster

If something along these lines happens there are proceedures that can be followed or implemented by the examining board, or exam co-ordinator.

I know it's annoying, but I wouldn't worry about it too much as in all instances I know of the exams are resat. At the end of the day it isn't your fault the alarm went off.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-08, 06:31 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Who is paying for your training and exams?
If your employer is paying a college for this get them to take it up.Some of these educational establishments are incredably arrogant until someone threatens their funding-----