SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-01-09, 08:48 PM   #1
gazza

Default Which tent?

I am going tent camping at the TT for the first time this year and then i am going touring to northern Italy in early august. Any recommendations for a tent that will be up to the job for a first timer in a tent with my mate who is a little on the rotund side. Also are there any essentials that i should take on the trips?
Old 26-01-09, 08:57 PM   #2
madness

Default Re: Which tent?

Tents vary a lot in price. From £20 to £600+. I would recommend getting one in the region of £100. Vango and Wildcountry do some nice tents for this sort of money. Google 'Gearzone', they usually have some good offers on.
You'll also need something to sleep on. A 'Thermarest' type inflating matress is what I would suggest. Try 'Alpkit.co.uk', they do there own brand which get good reviews, they also do own brand sleeping bags.
Old 26-01-09, 09:11 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Millets do a good one that is light on the back of the bike, really easy to put up, and reasonably spacious, you can stand up in it too

Eurohike Dart. IIRC. well they did it last year, and we used it at the AR rainathon
+1 for an airbed.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-09, 09:11 PM   #4
mike_avfc

i'm no tent expert but i got mine from millets - official a 4 man for about a £100 - i take the kids to touring cars and BSB each year and we camp over (will be at thruxton this year anyone!) - it fits 4 of us in and is a good size tent - cant complain.
Old 26-01-09, 09:15 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

The one that we used last year was a 3 man, but really a large 2 man. The other one we have from Millets eurohike, is a 4 man tent, and its soooo big, but a little too heavy for the bike, even though we have used it on several occasions at rallies.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-09, 09:17 PM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

I always go for Vango, never had a bad tent from them (and I've used everything from a tiny little micro tent to their big scout-style 12 man canvas tents.

To save re-hashing old conversations, can I suggest you use the search function, put in "Vango" and look for the threads about AR07 and AR08 - each year tends to have a "Which tent should I get" thread

David

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-09, 11:10 PM   #7
ogden
Mega Poster

I upgraded to a Vango Alpha 300 last year. Nice and cheap, easy to put up and it packs down small enough to strap across the back of an RGV and GSXR on trips to Derbyshire and Belgium respectively. Recommended.

One key thing, don't underestimate the size you'll need. A 2-man tent is a bit dinky once you've filled it with bike kit and luggage. A 3-man tent is fine for one person plus kit.

http://www.vango.co.uk/products/tent...delid=61&id=15
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

Last edited by ogden; 26-01-09 at 11:32 PM.
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-09, 11:28 PM   #8
Ed

Mine's a Vango Delta 300+ - 3 man but realistically 2 man with kit. Else you'd have to be on extremely good terms with each other

What to bring? The least possible, it really is true that less is more.
Old 27-01-09, 12:26 AM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

Yep, good advice above.

Decide whether pack size and/or weight are really important, I carry mine in a hard pannier so size is crucial for it to fit, weight not so important. Do not get a yellow tent, insects think it is a big flower (how do I know??? )

The "person sizing" is always for "close-coupled" sleeping arrangements! If you're not really good friends then a 3-man for 2 people is a must. Some space for storing clobber is essential too, and a small "porch" is a not essential but very desirable (rain/sun shelter).

Thermarest or clone self-inflating mats are superb, different thicknesses are available but as much for insulation as comfort. I've also got a cheap Gelert pillow in the same stuff, very good.

Sleeping bag needs careful cosideration too. I wanted small pack size so went the "down" route, but costly and don't like getting wet.
Old 27-01-09, 11:17 PM   #10
Ploppy

I'm glad I've seen this thread, Im looking for a tent also and it would seem I have under estimated the size of tent I would need I've been looking at 2 berth tents but I realize now that this isn't going to fit me, my girlfriend and all our kit and luggage! I'm going to have to shop around for a 3 berth....

I have however found a few space saving items that might interest you Firstly travel towels, fast absorbing and a full bath towel will pack away into a about a 15cm pouch! Saves on a load of space. Inflatable sleeping mats and pillows has been covered. Also all purpose liquid soap. You can use it for in the shower, washing clothes, washing pots and as hand soap, it's ph balanced and doesn't smell of anything. Saves carrying 4 bottles when one will do

I havnt yet tested these little gadgets out yet so don't know how good they are but I can't see any problems. I picked them up for a few quid at an outdoor shop in my area. If you put go outdoors into google them their webite will show up