SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-07-09, 03:04 PM   #11
Woz

Default Re: Medical advice please...

You won't want to hear this but the same thing happened to me and I remained partially deaf for almost a YEAR! Then one morning I woke up and could hear perfectly well again... just like that.
Old 03-07-09, 03:08 PM   #12
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
It sounds minor but is driving me up the wall. I've called NHS direct and they sid it could be up to 10hrs before they call me back as they are bust with the heat. My GP cant see me till monday so the combined wisdom of all meical personnel is required please.

I got water in my ear whilst swimming yesterday and it wont come out or go away. I'm about 80% deaf in that ear and no matter what i do to try and shift the water it wont go.

Things ive tried.

Standing on one foot and hoping up and down - my usual "cure" - nothing.
Tissues carefully pushed in to try mop it up - nothing
Pulling/pushing/streching ear - nothing
Sleeping on that side all night - nothing.

Please, please help me if you have any other usefull ideas or suggestions.

And no, i'm not doing a Van Gough before anyone suggests that.
Try going to your local walk-in centre. No appointment needed.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...entresFAQ.aspx

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 03:17 PM   #13
flymo
Mega Poster

Surely you meant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethunder View Post
Oh too add never try to put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 03:18 PM   #14
flymo
Mega Poster

you tried warm water from a syringe?
Old 03-07-09, 03:20 PM   #15
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I once got a ball bearing stuck in my ear. Could hear it rattling around. Sooo annoying.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 03:21 PM   #16
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Oh medical advice. Get a new ear plug. Squeeze it really tight and slowly insert it into your ear until it starts getting painful.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Old 03-07-09, 03:27 PM   #17
flymo
Mega Poster

top tip...never take medical advice from a doctor that put a ball bearing in his ear
Old 03-07-09, 03:31 PM   #18
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
top tip...never take medical advice from a doctor that put a ball bearing in his ear
toooshay
Old 03-07-09, 03:34 PM   #19
JediGoat

Assuming I do come to Soho tonight...I'll have my Sodium Bicarbonate ear-drops with me (dangerously, in the same size bottle as the Silicon drops I carry for un-siezing locks).

I constantly struggle with blocked ears, swollen ear canals, and ear infections....you kind of get used to it after a while.
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 03:39 PM   #20
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

OK sucked a mint all the way to the chemist - nothing.
Asked chemist for advice and was told to just wait it out which i guess is better than being sold a bottle of something and told it'll fix it but it costs £10 and find it does nothing.
i honestly cant see how putting more liquid in my ear will help th water trapped in there to come out but i'm gonna go jump in the shower now and see if more water gently allowed in might convince the other water to come out and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
You won't want to hear this but the same thing happened to me and I remained partially deaf for almost a YEAR! Then one morning I woke up and could hear perfectly well again... just like that.
You're right, didnt wanna read that but thanks for the eal world honesty all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
Try going to your local walk-in centre. No appointment needed.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...entresFAQ.aspx
Thanks for the linky, why the NHS Direct girl didnt suggest this on the phone i dont know. Aint got time today now as i gotta go Soho meet tonight so may well try this tomorrow

Quote:
you tried warm water from a syringe?
Aint got a syringe and tbh i'd be worried i'd do myself some damge or make it worse. tried dripping water in it from my fingers and using a wet finger to creat a little suction in there.... but nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Oh medical advice. Get a new ear plug. Squeeze it really tight and slowly insert it into your ear until it starts getting painful.
tried that yesterday at the trackday. Seemed logical and easy .... and it didnt work

Quote:
Now i'm not sure i wanna know how or why there was a ball bearing in there, lol. But i'll top that by saing i had the hard cristy bit of popcorn in my ear once many years ago. It only came out after i woke up to find some nice almost black blood had oozed out my ear and stuck my face to my pilliow.

Both my eardrums are perforated from years of raving but they work fine so not too fussed but this one deaf ear scenario is driving me nuts.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P

Last edited by Spiderman; 03-07-09 at 03:42 PM.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote