SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-09-10, 11:43 AM   #1
alexh

Default What road bike should I go for (pedal power!)

So i've decided to do some excercise and use the cycle to work scheme to get myself a road bike as the hardrock just doesnt cut the mustard on the road!

My question for the cycle enthusiasts among us;

What make/model would be suitable for say 20-30 mile rides, up and down hills (Purbecks, and dont say the SV!) which isnt as focussed as a full on racer, but a comfortable bike with drop handlebars? Ive heard the Felt Z series are supposed to be a good all round comfortable road bike? Budgets around the £600 mark

Was also looking at the Boardmans from Halfords, anyone got any experience of these bikes? anyone got any experience of the cycle to work scheme with halfords, how easy/long does the process take?

Thanks
Old 01-09-10, 11:55 AM   #2
benji106

Default Re: What road bike should I go for (pedal power!)

I have a specialized Allez 16, some of my friends have the same bike (but theirs have 21 gears I think) got it with the cycle to work scheme and would reccomend it, cost about £500 is quite light and comfortable. Im not a serious road rider but it does me fine when I can be bothered to cycle to work or go for a ride. the standard seat is ok, but not brilliant and has a steel seat post that could be swapped for a carbon one if you are serious about making it lighter. It is a very capable bike for the money, and looks pretty smart to boot.
Old 01-09-10, 12:11 PM   #3
alexh

Well the inner boy in me wants to get the flashest focussed race bike i can afford, but realistically like you said, serious road rider i am not, just want something to do a couple of rides a week on which is comfortable!

Whats you weight/height/bike size, if you dont mind me asking?

Im 5.10/14 stone, so a lighter seat post I think wouldnt make F'all difference! those skinny road bikes look like they would break with me on it!!!lol

Thanks for the advice ill have a look at the Allez, and i do like the specilized range!

Last edited by alexh; 01-09-10 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 12:15 PM   #4
cb1000rsteve

Talking Re: What road bike should I go for (pedal power!)

Raleigh Copper with a flag and tassles on the handle bar ends!!! I'm sure lance Armstrong won the Tour De France on the very same bike. This one even comes with paddock stands front and rear!!

Last edited by cb1000rsteve; 17-01-13 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 12:22 PM   #5
alexh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rsteve View Post
Raleigh Copper with a flag and tassles on the handle bar ends!!! I'm sure lance Armstrong won the Tour De France on the very same bike. This one even comes with paddock stands front and rear!!
Copper?!

I think the choppers out of my price range, there antiques now!!!
Old 01-09-10, 12:59 PM   #6
Reeder

I think Jayneflakes deals with bicycles?
Try speaking to her.
Old 01-09-10, 03:02 PM   #7
carty

Do it on the hardrock - you'll get fitter faster

Seriously, I regularly do a 33 mile loop on my mountain bike with knobblies - admittedly I could do it a fair bit quicker on my roadbike but if you just want the exercise on your own it doesn't matter what you're riding.

If you're going out with groups who are on road bikes and therefore riding faster - then you might want a road bike.
Old 01-09-10, 03:43 PM   #8
metalmonkey

Have a look at this one;

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/pro...e%20Red%202010

It fits your budget, it was £800 go test ride one see what you think. I rode one, then I got it! I am enjoying my bike...there are lots of bikes on sale as the 2010 bikes are being sold off to make way for the 2011 bikes, but be quick they aren't many left.

I would say its 6-8 miles to work which I can do in about 25 minutes but today was the first time I rode the route. Its quicker than taking the tube without any doubt. I would say make sure your tyres are at the right pressure as well, I pumped mine up to 120psi before riding home made a huge difference.

Also have you got a budget for clothing, a lid, a pump, lights, shoes, pedals, inner tubes, tyres. I would also get some puncture resistant tyres as well I ended up with 3 puctures after the gritting in the winter.

I hope thats some use, its just what I have found start out cycling, most all its fun.
Old 01-09-10, 03:55 PM   #9
benji106

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Whats you weight/height/bike size, if you dont mind me asking?

Im 5.10/14 stone, so a lighter seat post I think wouldnt make F'all difference! those skinny road bikes look like they would break with me on it!!!lol
!
shade under 6 foot and 14 Stone, believe the frame is large/56CM off the top of my head.
Old 01-09-10, 03:55 PM   #10
Jabba

Specialized Allez, Trek or (my personal recommendation) a Scott Speedster.

You should be able to get a Speedster S40 for that money, or maybe even an S30. IIRC, Tweekes have a sale on atm which includes Scott bikes.

The S30, if you can run to it look amazing and has "proper" STI shifters (Tiagra I think) rather than crappy Sora shifters