SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-06-14, 12:14 PM   #51
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pedal bikes on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
It's not road tax, it's an emmisson tax, based on how much you vehicle pumps out. Pushbikes don't pump out pollution, so don't pay Vehicle Excise Duty, it's not a road tax.
You seen some of these cnuts in lycra? Eye pollution.
Old 04-06-14, 12:53 PM   #52
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
One of the benefits of being in London. No pollution round here! Not from the lycra clad pushbiker-esses anyway.
Old 04-06-14, 07:33 PM   #53
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Something like this then sweetie

maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 08:12 AM   #54
ophic
Mega Poster

I'm still fairly new to this commuting into London lark, and I still maintain that 99% of cyclists are ok.

So the other day I encountered "dopey death-wish cyclist" - posted earlier in this thread about that. There's a fair few about.

Today I came across "mouthy self-righteous cyclist". I'd filtered at some red lights to the front of the queue, and I noticed several cyclists stuck behind me, so I eased forward into the cyclist zone to let them through. Whilst waiting for the lights to change, another cyclist filters through from another gap on the left and pulls his bike across the front of mine, like almost a T shape. Ok fine, but he dawdles when the lights change. So when my engine revs start to rise, he shouts at me, lip-read as something about keeping out of cyclist areas - couldn't quite make it out as my clutch control isn't very good when avoiding mouthy cyclists and my engine might have been bouncing off the rev limiter.

Does anyone else find their clutch control affected in this way?

Any more comedy cyclist categories to add? There must be hundreds.
Old 12-06-14, 08:51 AM   #55
Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
I'm still fairly new to this commuting into London lark, and I still maintain that 99% of cyclists are ok.

So the other day I encountered "dopey death-wish cyclist" - posted earlier in this thread about that. There's a fair few about.

Today I came across "mouthy self-righteous cyclist". I'd filtered at some red lights to the front of the queue, and I noticed several cyclists stuck behind me, so I eased forward into the cyclist zone to let them through. Whilst waiting for the lights to change, another cyclist filters through from another gap on the left and pulls his bike across the front of mine, like almost a T shape. Ok fine, but he dawdles when the lights change. So when my engine revs start to rise, he shouts at me, lip-read as something about keeping out of cyclist areas - couldn't quite make it out as my clutch control isn't very good when avoiding mouthy cyclists and my engine might have been bouncing off the rev limiter.

Does anyone else find their clutch control affected in this way?

Any more comedy cyclist categories to add? There must be hundreds.
Be careful entering the cycle box, at the moment if you get caught it's 3 points, £100 fine and the same offence code as jumping a red light but that still doesn't make "mouthy self-righteous cyclist" right!
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:25 AM   #56
SvNewbie

In theory. In reality most of the police cars I've seen on the road are as **** with cycle boxes as the rest of the road users. I try to avoid entering them unless I filter to the front and the car at the front hasn't stopped in the correct place (though, I'll admit they may have entered on amber / green which is perfectly legal) in which case I'll filter move far enough forward that they can see me, cycle box or no cycle box.
Old 12-06-14, 10:43 AM   #57
ClunkintheUK

Police can only do you for entering the cycle box if they have seen you enter on a red light. If a controlled stop for a yellow to red light brings you to a stop at the advanced stop line (in the bike box), that is perfectly legal.

The fact that he came along afterwards shows that mouthy self-righteous cyclist means he probably didn't see what happened. They were talking about trialling it being legal for motorbikes to stop in these boxes, after a lobbying from motorbike groups that having the pushbikes in front of the motorbikes like that is in fact dangerous.

I often stopped in them on the motorbike, i.e. filtered to the front and used the space especially from the right hand side of the cars.
Old 12-06-14, 11:35 AM   #58
SvNewbie

There are some signs up on Chiswick high road which show the 'correct' use of cycle boxes. The motorcyclist is to the right of the car stopped before the line with the cyclist in front.

Unfortunately no one seems to have considered how you get to that state since the motorbike will be blocking the pushbikes path to the front in a significant number of instances. Maybe they expect the cyclist to go up the left of the vehicle stopped at the line, because that is safe...