SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-07, 09:57 AM   #1
Baph

Default A question for the medical staff...

We took the lil one to Alder Hey yesterday. The long & short of it is that he has to go back for yet another operation in approx 6months.

The long & the short of it, last time he had an operation, we were pretty convinced that something went pair shaped in the operating theatre. We wanted to go in with him last time, but we didn't really do anything about it.

So my question, where do we stand with a toddler having an operation? Are we entitled (on the NHS btw) to demand that at least one parent accompanies him in the operating theatre, so long as we don't interfere with the jobs that folks are doing? Or is it more a case of "if the hospital say no, then it's a no"??

If we are permitted into the operating theatre, it'll be me going in. Jen wouldn't be able to stand the sight of it, whereas my stomach is more cast iron stuff.

Anyhow, thanks for the opinions/advice in advance
Old 03-04-07, 10:49 AM   #2
stewie

Default Re: A question for the medical staff...

My Daughter had a tough time early on and underwent major surgery at 10 months old at Alder hey. They were absolutely fantastic with her and she made a complete recovery I hope your little one gets the same standard of treatment that my abbie did. Best wishes.
Stew
Old 03-04-07, 10:52 AM   #3
Davies

Hi mate,

My GF is a paediatrician (sp? ) ......I'll give her a buzz now and see if she knows anything about it for you.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 03-04-07, 11:02 AM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
My Daughter had a tough time early on and underwent major surgery at 10 months old at Alder hey. They were absolutely fantastic with her and she made a complete recovery I hope your little one gets the same standard of treatment that my abbie did. Best wishes.
Stew
Stewie, he's had an operation at Alder Hey before. Like I said, we just got the feeling that something went pair shaped. Nothing specific was mentionned by the staff, it was just his behaviour after the op. I've seen kids post op before his age, and he was different. A sort of different that you can't really put your finger on, but as a parent, you know something aint right.

Also, after we got home, I actually posted a message on here about how great the ward staff were throughout. Can't fault them at all, and I'm hoping he goes back on the same ward post-op, but you never know.

Paul, cheers fella

My brother is a paramedic, and I've asked him, but it's something he's not sure about either
Old 03-04-07, 11:07 AM   #5
Mogs

I don’t think you have a “right to be there” nor does the hospital have the “right to stop you”. However, the surgeon in charge can on medical grounds refuse to carry out the operation, you are a source of infection that need not be there. He/she can also argue that you are potential danger to your child should you faint etc.

I hope your son recovers fully.
Old 03-04-07, 11:13 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
I don’t think you have a “right to be there” nor does the hospital have the “right to stop you”. However, the surgeon in charge can on medical grounds refuse to carry out the operation, you are a source of infection that need not be there. He/she can also argue that you are potential danger to your child should you faint etc.

I hope your son recovers fully.
Cheers.

That's kind of my thinking on it as well. But if that is the case, I'd like to know if I can ask the surgeon before the day as to his/her opinion. Naturally I'd take all necessary infection precautions if I was going to be in there.

Last time, I took him to be put under, and that was pretty heart wrenching, but I think I'd be OK with the key-hole stuff they're talking about doing. If it was a traditional scalpel, well, it might be different.
Old 03-04-07, 12:58 PM   #7
Warthog

Would you want to see your kid being cut open?! I think it's a case of you have to trust the doctors, and most of them in Britain are very good. Noone likes a parent to be hovering around, it would make them more nervous.
Old 03-04-07, 01:30 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Would you want to see your kid being cut open?! I think it's a case of you have to trust the doctors, and most of them in Britain are very good. Noone likes a parent to be hovering around, it would make them more nervous.
Tonsils don't need you to be cut open, just open mouth (I had mine removed when I was a kid).

Adanoids is keyhole surgery. The holes are already there, they're commonly referred to as nostrils.

Like I said, if it was tradional scalpel type jobby, I'm not sure if I'd want to go for it.
Old 03-04-07, 02:15 PM   #9
Davies

Hi Mate,

Finally got through......and she pretty much confirmed what Mogs said as the doctors would want to perform the op without anything/anyone present that may break their concentration or potentially get in the way. She did said that you would be allowed into the anaesthetic room though, but you probably already knew that

HTH

Cheers,

Paul
Old 03-04-07, 02:37 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstreetfighter View Post
Hi Mate,

Finally got through......and she pretty much confirmed what Mogs said as the doctors would want to perform the op without anything/anyone present that may break their concentration or potentially get in the way. She did said that you would be allowed into the anaesthetic room though, but you probably already knew that

HTH

Cheers,

Paul
Cheers for the effort fella.

I suppose I can only ask at the time, and if they say no, they say no. Don't get if you don't ask though

EDIT: And yea, I know we're allowed in the anaesthetic room. Last time they actually asked me to come in, so I could help distract him & he didn't get scared. True to form though, he took after daddy Kicked up a massive fuss as he knew something was afoot. The second he was allowed to watch the needle going in his arm, fine, no worries, just sat there & giggled as they stuck the needle in him (I did pretty much the same with my TB jab at school).