SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-07, 02:16 PM   #1
danf1234

Default Brake upgrade

Is EBC HH pads and goodridge braided hoses a good worthwhile upgrade to the SV braking system?

Has anyone got these pads on at the moment? and do they eat the discs?
Old 30-06-07, 03:25 PM   #2
Idleater

Default Re: Brake upgrade

Braided lines certainly make a difference, don't know about the pads so can't comment.

But if I may, can I post a follow up question:

Would upgrading the brake calipers to 4 or 6 pots be worthwhile too?

for example, would bandit1200 or sv1000 calipers fit as a direct replacement to the stock SV ones?

L.
Old 30-06-07, 03:54 PM   #3
danf1234

I don't think they do to be honest.

Also do braided hoses really make a significant difference over new rubber hoses???
Old 30-06-07, 06:13 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Im thiking of fitting braided lines; im hoping it'll cure that moment I get when i pull the lever and nothing happens, then the brakes feel like they are working...

Matt
Old 30-06-07, 06:31 PM   #5
kcowgergmm

i but galfer ss lines dot 5 brake fluid and ebc HH sintered pads on the front and i love it I put dot 5 and ss line on the back and could notice a major improvement. I had to take everything apart and clean it and reassemble it so i wouldn't nesscesarliy recommend dot5 maybe dot 5.1. other than tire best upgrade I've done to the bike
Old 30-06-07, 07:19 PM   #6
Lozzo

Unless you're a top flight racer there's no need for Dot 5 fluid, you're just wasting money.

Using silicone based fluids has advantages, but there are disadvantages too.

This explains quite a lot.

http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/HEL_Performan...Doctor_FAQ.htm
Old 30-06-07, 08:51 PM   #7
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleater View Post
Braided lines certainly make a difference, don't know about the pads so can't comment.

But if I may, can I post a follow up question:

Would upgrading the brake calipers to 4 or 6 pots be worthwhile too?

for example, would bandit1200 or sv1000 calipers fit as a direct replacement to the stock SV ones?

L.
Don't know if it's the same on pointy 650's, but early ones only have an 83mm (IIRC?) spacing for the caliper mounting holes.

B12 has 90mm spacing. You'd need adapter brackets to make the calipers fit, and then as the calipers would move down from their original mounting points, your brakelines will be too short, so you'll need new ones, and you'd also need to upgrade your Master cylinder to a B12 or equivilent.
Old 30-06-07, 09:52 PM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Don't know if it's the same on pointy 650's, but early ones only have an 83mm (IIRC?) spacing for the caliper mounting holes.

B12 has 90mm spacing. You'd need adapter brackets to make the calipers fit, and then as the calipers would move down from their original mounting points, your brakelines will be too short, so you'll need new ones, and you'd also need to upgrade your Master cylinder to a B12 or equivilent.
Still worthwhile doing, the Bandit 1200 brakes are awesome compared to the standard ones (I think the SV's are the same as early Bandit 600, can't be sure though). I'll be measuring up the fork legs and making adaptor plates to fit some early GSXR750 4-pot Nissins (same as Bandit 1200 and lots of Triumphs) to my SV next week <affectionately pats spare pair of calipers and m/cylinder>
Old 30-06-07, 09:56 PM   #9
Gnome

Early SV's are the same as B6, correct.

I presume you've upgraded the suspension already?
Got a complete 6 pot front brake setup sat here (although you'd need longer lines unless you've got shorter USD forks), waiting to be sold...

Did this on my B6 about 2 years ago now. Quit e agood upgrade, but even with uprated springs and heavier oil in the front forks, they still dived quite a fair bit...
Old 30-06-07, 10:44 PM   #10
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Early SV's are the same as B6, correct.

I presume you've upgraded the suspension already?
Got a complete 6 pot front brake setup sat here (although you'd need longer lines unless you've got shorter USD forks), waiting to be sold...

Did this on my B6 about 2 years ago now. Quit e agood upgrade, but even with uprated springs and heavier oil in the front forks, they still dived quite a fair bit...
This is my trackbike, so it's getting either a full suspension rebuild and upgrade with emulators etc, or a K1/2 RWU GSXR600 front end. I can fit the 90mm spaced Nissins straight on then with no adaptor plates as they take 90mm spaced Tokicos.