SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-20, 02:07 PM   #1
ZX9R

Default Curvy clutch cover

I would like to say thank you to the fourm for the information i found with ref to the clutch cover leaking on my wife curvy sv650.

After trying to stop the small oil leak on her sv and it not working, i looked on here to see if it was a known problem. After reading a couple of threads i knew what was the problem.
When i removed the cover for the second time i placed it on a sheet of glass. The cover was warped on all the bolt fixings points and the lower ones were worst.

So i started by using my 2" air sander to remove the worst of the raised points of the bolt fixing areas. Then once i got the worst off, i taped a sheet of 800 grit wet & dry to a sheet of glass. I then started to rub the cover over the wet & dry turning it as i went along. After nearly 10 mins i had it so i could not push my feeler gauge (0.33mm) between the cover and the glass at any point all the way around the cover.

I have now refitted the cover with a little smear of sealer on the o-ring gaskit and ran the engine up to temp. It's has been standing now for 4 hours and there is no sign of any oil leaking out. Will check it again tomorrow morning. So fingers crossed this will work and the oil leak problem is history.
ZX9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 07:20 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy clutch cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9R View Post
I would like to say thank you to the fourm for the information i found with ref to the clutch cover leaking on my wife curvy sv650.

After trying to stop the small oil leak on her sv and it not working, i looked on here to see if it was a known problem. After reading a couple of threads i knew what was the problem.
When i removed the cover for the second time i placed it on a sheet of glass. The cover was warped on all the bolt fixings points and the lower ones were worst.

So i started by using my 2" air sander to remove the worst of the raised points of the bolt fixing areas. Then once i got the worst off, i taped a sheet of 800 grit wet & dry to a sheet of glass. I then started to rub the cover over the wet & dry turning it as i went along. After nearly 10 mins i had it so i could not push my feeler gauge (0.33mm) between the cover and the glass at any point all the way around the cover.

I have now refitted the cover with a little smear of sealer on the o-ring gaskit and ran the engine up to temp. It's has been standing now for 4 hours and there is no sign of any oil leaking out. Will check it again tomorrow morning. So fingers crossed this will work and the oil leak problem is history.
Nice one. I love fixes like this

PS
I've used this on lots of jobs and it's great stuff and not a bad price even from Halfrauds

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...-maker-sealant

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 13-01-20 at 07:23 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 06:20 AM   #3
ZX9R

I only use Hylomar Universal Blue Gasket & Jointing Compound Sealant Instant Gasket as it's resistant to petrol & diesel. I use it of the fuel tank taps when i need to remove and refit them.

At 8pm last night there was still not sign of any oil leaking. will still check this morning when i go down my workshop.

Edit.
All good and no leaks. So it looks like it's fixed.

Last edited by ZX9R; 14-01-20 at 01:55 PM.
ZX9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 03:12 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9R View Post
I only use Hylomar Universal Blue Gasket & Jointing Compound Sealant Instant Gasket as it's resistant to petrol & diesel. I use it of the fuel tank taps when i need to remove and refit them.

At 8pm last night there was still not sign of any oil leaking. will still check this morning when i go down my workshop.

Edit.
All good and no leaks. So it looks like it's fixed.
Good Stuff Blue Hylomar but I ran out of it when I needed a quick fix so thought I would try the Loctite stuff. Does as good a job and I found it easier to apply and remove than Blue Hylomar