SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 18-07-19, 11:18 AM   #11
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cadwell or Donny, 20th August

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
I've booked in the inters for 20th at Cadwell. I've got a blue curvy with loads of stickers on the front end (track plastics) and an old blue pickup truck. Just need to figure out now what picture to put on my number plate for the day! Maybe Trump Baby.
Hi Johnny

I'm still undecided as to what group to book on to! Went lastnight and it was an absolute sh*tshow - never do an evening group unless you're camping and it's a bonus session. We did a sighting session, another session and then someone came off and they cancelled the evening - was supposed to be 4-5 sessions! Obviously hope the bloke is okay but he was up and about so I got the impression the staff are just waiting for hometime on an evening one.

Most annoyingly I'd raced to get there with not a lot of fuel so filled up with their gold tainted £1.60 per litre stuff only for it to be called off.

Anyway completely digress, the session I did have felt pretty good so I might locate my testicles and book onto inters.
Old 18-07-19, 01:32 PM   #12
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Wow, who was the organizer, No Limits? I've done one evening once, which was at Cadwell, it went fine and as it was a rare open pitlane and undersubscribed, we actually got quite a few sessions in (20mins on/20mins off). How many times have you ridden there? The novices can be very slow there I find, as it's a technical track and a lot of the bends are blind. Inters can be the usual mixture or people who know what a racing line is, and nutjobs, but most of the time I've found the standard of riding to be not too bad. I think there are a lot of regulars. Not been for a few years now so looking forward to it. I always take a couple of sessions to loosen up (I'm for ever being left behind in sighting and having to gun it down the straights, they do go off a bit quick for 9am though). I then get faster as the day goes on, whereas some people seem to go off like a scalded cat from the first session.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 02:18 PM   #13
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Wow, who was the organizer, No Limits? I've done one evening once, which was at Cadwell, it went fine and as it was a rare open pitlane and undersubscribed, we actually got quite a few sessions in (20mins on/20mins off). How many times have you ridden there? The novices can be very slow there I find, as it's a technical track and a lot of the bends are blind. Inters can be the usual mixture or people who know what a racing line is, and nutjobs, but most of the time I've found the standard of riding to be not too bad. I think there are a lot of regulars. Not been for a few years now so looking forward to it. I always take a couple of sessions to loosen up (I'm for ever being left behind in sighting and having to gun it down the straights, they do go off a bit quick for 9am though). I then get faster as the day goes on, whereas some people seem to go off like a scalded cat from the first session.
It was MSVT. Maybe it was a big emergency and they didn't want to announce the circumstances to all their punters, but I suspect not! I'm probably being abit harsh because so many major routes were closed on the way home and it was ****ing it down - took almost 3 hours. I was out of the house 9 hours and got 2 15 minute sessions

Yep, I'm definitely a gently gently approach! I've ridden there thrice, once years ago and I had real trouble getting my head around the track. Then I swapped bike for a few years and was actually doing very little mileage so I'm much slower than I was. I've come back to the SV this year so did a Novice only day at the start of July - that was a bit of a larf ; I was worried having ridden it before I wouldn't qualify as a novice...I'd say about 80-90% of the participants were on track bikes, with racing slicks, tyre warmers full lot. I was passing the other road going bikes and keeping up with the occasional track bike on that one. And then I've done the two sessions last night - which felt good I was scraping my pegs on the tight right handers and keeping up with the smaller track bikes and passing a few.
Old 18-07-19, 02:34 PM   #14
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

You don't sound like a novice to me! Yeah all sorts of people book into novices, just so they get some track time, when the other groups are full. The TD organisers should be on it but they're not. One was blatantly rude to me because of being on a slower bike when I was telling them that the way people were riding, someone was going to get hurt, because it was like the race at the start of Ready Player one. I felt vindicated a couple of sessions later when they told everyone off before letting them out on track.
Old 18-07-19, 03:56 PM   #15
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Hmm possibly a bit of bike snobbery - or just feckless. I think when people are doing that an accidents going to happen. I got stood up a couple of times just as I was leaning in last time . Could compose myself and lean it back in but I guess if I was any more nervous on my bike I might have panicked/ got target fixation and run off

Just looking at bookings now - just to check it’s no limits running it on the 20th aug?
Old 18-07-19, 03:58 PM   #16
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I took my dashcam out my car and taped it to my wing (just realised it will have got drenched on the way home so that’s probavly the end of it )

https://vimeo.com/348839095?utm_sour...campaign=29220

If that doesn’t look dangerously slow for intermediates and you promise I won’t be publicly flogged for holding everyone up I’ll get booked in in inters
Old 18-07-19, 09:16 PM   #17
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Looks good to me, my lap time is around the same, from looking at vids. Am hoping to borrow a GoPro for the day. You'll be fine, at the very least you're predictable for the genuinely fast people to get around - that's always a problem in the novices, no idea where they'll go, and then they'll just gun it down the straights.
Old 20-07-19, 07:48 PM   #18
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Excellent, I'm on.

Booked into big boys group with you
Old 12-08-19, 08:02 PM   #19
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Dave, how are you getting there? I've got a pickup so will put my bike in the back. Not sure which way you're going, I'm in Tickhill. Could meet you here or at the track.
Old 20-08-19, 09:29 PM   #20
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Not a bad day, weather mostly behaved. Got knocked down from Inters to Novices by a grumpy No Limits "instructor" who was just razing around the track buzzing people. We frankly tore through half the novices (no great surprise) but I guess it's overtaking practice. A few SVs there, can't remember much! A yellow curvy and a blue pointy.